Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 VT M/T
58 Posts
Sounds like left timing chain guide (the one adjacent to the chain tensioner) is rattling due to excessive play.
If you remove timing cover and check the play of said guide, only the upper half of it should have some play; bottom half is bolted down and shouldn’t have any play.

·
Registered
2016 VT M/T
58 Posts
Skipped over the part where you mentioned “howling.” Yeah howling is a bad sign. When my stuffed turbo blew, it was making howling noise that increased in sound as rpm rose.

Do you have an “low oil pressure” light illuminated on your dash when idling, but goes away with rpm increase? Any noticeable and unusual exhaust smoke (my blown turbo didn’t cause any exhaust smoke)?

If you’re certain you have some type of warranty or auto repair insurance, then I don’t see why you are still here asking around lol. Get that sucker looked and fixed.

·
Registered
2014 Veloster Turbo Automatic
228 Posts
idk its a new noise veloster turbo 2013 106k stock everything. Video - Google Photos
Sounds exactly like mine. I know my timing chain and guides are approaching the end of their life, so that may very well be it. 148k miles. So far my cams and followers are still perfectly smooth, so I don't think it's lifter tick. My timing chain is right on the edge of the acceptable spec

1 - 9 of 9 Posts