Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 VT
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: 2016 VT w/ DCT, 67K miles, stock engine.

A few hours ago as I was leaving a parking lot the car did the shuddering and shaking thing as I idled forward out of my spot. It's been doing the shuddering for a few months now, but I decided to ignore it (like a dummy) since others have had the same experience.

When I shifted into reverse to maneuver out of the lot, I pressed the gas and nothing happened. The revs jumped up as though it was in neutral, but the car didn't move. I also noticed the CEL was on. I turned the car off and looked for any leaks / smelled for any smells, but I didn't find anything. I turned it back on, put it into drive, and it moved like normal again. Since I was pretty close to home, I decided to try to get it there before it quit again. this probably wasn't a smart idea considering the CEL was still on. About two miles away, the car suddenly disengaged the gear and it revved like it was in neutral again, despite still being in drive. Since the throttle didn't work again, I coasted off into a neighborhood and tried turning it off and on again. yet again, it worked for a little, but ended up engaging and disengaging the gear repeatedly until I gave up and coasted over to the curb.

Long story short, the car won't move when in drive or reverse, with or without throttle input. It acts as though it's in neutral. I haven't gotten to read the CEL yet.

A side note: I have also been having an issue where when I slowly accelerate from a stop (usually turning at a stop light for some reason), the car shifts out of first, but takes a few seconds to shift into second. I end up coasting at like 10 and having to either rev or come all the way off throttle for it to shift. Seems relevant considering it's an issue with the transmission staying in gear. I can't remember how long this has been going on.

Anyways, I'm going to get it towed to a shop tomorrow morning. Anyone had this happen to them? If so, what was your experience? What was fixed?

I will update this post as well through the process of getting it fixed.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
59 Posts
That stinks. Fingers crossed it's not too expensive.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,569 Posts
Needs to go to hyundai to see if it falls under warranty, a recall, or a service campaign. Did the car receive or even qualify for the tcu flash update by hyundai?

·
Registered
2016 VT
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE: I've been told that it's a bad transmission control module. The shop I'm at can't access the data on the TCM though and I don't have a hyundai dealership in my town that can. The shop is trying to figure out what the next steps are, and they said they will be getting back to me about it tomorrow. Might be a transfer to a dealership, might just be a TCM replacement, don't really know yet.

I do remember them saying that they will need to get a locksmith though to re-pair my key with my car after the TCM changes. I don't fully understand how the TCM and key are connected, but I will also ask them about it tomorrow. The shop has been really good at explaining things and getting me involved in the process, so I am sure I will get a good understanding of it.

@trdtoy My car did not fall under the TCU flash update, nor does this repair fall under warranty since I'm the second owner. I was told by hyundai themselves and several hyundai service people I called that the warranty covers 5 years or 60k miles, and I have past both. Everyone I've talked to hasn't been able to find any recalls or campaigns about it either.

Anyways, I will be hearing back tomorrow and I will post any new info I get. I'm hoping this post will help others with this problem in the future, so I will try to provide as much useful info as I can. However, I can't say if you have these same symptoms, you have the same problem. It sounds like my car went into limp mode from what I understand, which is caused by many other things, so be careful to self diagnose!

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
4 Posts
Any updates? I’ve been having the same issues with it shuddering at take off. I’m concerned it’s going to turn into a bigger issue.

·
Registered
2016 VT
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any updates? I’ve been having the same issues with it shuddering at take off. I’m concerned it’s going to turn into a bigger issue.
So far my car has made it to a Hyundai dealership and they have diagnosed it with the same issue the previous shop found. They just received a replacement TCM, and the car should be ready for me to pick up tomorrow. I will let you know if the shuddering is fixed when I get it back. I hope so.

As a side note, the CEL code they got was P0601-48, which is something along the lines of a memory error within the TCM. I don't think there is any way to fix this issue other than to replace the whole TCM.

Reactions: GTrueblood

·
Registered
2016 VT
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another Update:

Since I posted last, I have picked up the car twice, driven it around for 10-20 miles, had it quit with the same problem, and had it towed back to the dealership.

The first time was after they replaced the TCM. I got 10 miles and it quit. The second, they claimed that an external device was stealing power from the TCM causing it to malfunction. The external device was a tracker, likely from its previous life as a fleet vehicle. I Made it 20 miles on that "fix" before it quit again. The first and second time it quit I received the same engine code, P0601-48, which is a memory checksum error within the module. The third time it quit (after the external device "fix"), it threw a new code, P0903-78, which is clutch actuator failure.

After this third time, I did some research and figured out what I suspect is the issue. I read somewhere that P0601 is caused by a failure in communication between two supporting modules and/or sensors within the car. This can be caused by anything ranging from a loose connection to a bad TCM. A bad TCM is a rare cause though. The Checksum error, to my understand, means that there is a discrepancy between old data and new data that should match. Therefore, I suspect that there is a sensor somewhere in the car that is sending bad data (or none at all) to the TCM, causing it to pick it up as a checksum error, when in reality, it's something else. I have also read that several drive cycles need to be done for this error to come up, which explains why I made it some distance before the car quit again. Either way, I know of a couple people who had this exact problem, ended up replacing their crankshaft position sensor, and fixed P0601.

The more and more I read into this, I figure out that the dealership doesn't know/care about what they're doing. They're following what a computer tells them to do, without doing proper diagnosis procedures and covering their bases before replacing an expensive part. I suspect the TCM never needed to be replaced, though I can't really say one way or the other because I can't diagnose the old TCM to make sure. At the moment, the dealership is asking us to pay $2k to replace the clutch actuator. I read when diagnosing P0903, a thorough inspection of all wires and connections to and from the clutch actuator should be done, as that causes the error more frequently than an actual bad clutch actuator. I asked them about this, and they said they will do it after they order the part, but I doubt they will so they can charge us for a new actuator.

Either way, they were advised by the Hyundai engineers, like the article I read, to take the car on several drive cycles to see if they can get the problem to come back. I suspect they're going to charge us for a new clutch actuator, take it on 10 or so drive cycles, and the problem will come back. I'm thinking I will take to back to the original shop, as they are more honest and better at their job than a dealership will ever be. I'm also going to call them tomorrow about what's going on to get their input on this.

I'll be back!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts