Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned several cars in the past... admittedly most of them were very respected cars in the handling area.. (Rx8/Golf GTI) and although I've gotten used to it the VT's steering seems to be a little laggy.. If i turn hard into a corner, it feels like it takes a second for the car to respond.. also I can turn the wheel back straight and notice it straightening out moments later.

This may just be me being picky but does anyone else notice it? Is there something electronic about the steering I'm not used to?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
There is something a little weird about the steering, it doesn't feel as nice as my Versa even and my Versa is not sporty or considered borderline sporty. My brother-in-law's 2012 Camry has better steering feel than the VT. I think it doesn't have the smoothness of turning like other cars with electronic assisted steering does.

Steering has gotten better the more I drive it though. Maybe it just needs a break-in period also or I'm just getting use to the steering. Oh well, I didn't buy this car to race or do much spirited driving with. That's what my S13 in the garage is for.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is something a little weird about the steering, it doesn't feel as nice as my Versa even and my Versa is not sporty or considered borderline sporty. My brother-in-law's 2012 Camry has better steering feel than the VT. I think it doesn't have the smoothness of turning like other cars with electronic assisted steering does.

Steering has gotten better the more I drive it though. Maybe it just needs a break-in period also or I'm just getting use to the steering. Oh well, I didn't buy this car to race or do much spirited driving with. That's what my S13 in the garage is for.
Meh but if there is any reflash or some electronic bit to tighten it up I'd love to have it :) have really come to love the VT haha

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have my new VT since a week. I just replaced stock tires with larger and better tires. (225/40/18 Maxxis Z4S) Now the handling have totally changed! Better feeling in the steering and better grip. Overall, the problem was the OEM tires. :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd like to see how wide a wheel+tire i can fit on the VT eventually, just wondering if new sway bars and stiffer suspension would help.

The suspension is VERY soft stock lol I didn't notice till I put my rally armor flaps on and they scrape the ground over bumps. Not that it matters because they're ment to have gravel flying at them.

I'm guessing wider wheels and new sways+suspension will fix it haha.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd like to see how wide a wheel+tire i can fit on the VT eventually, just wondering if new sway bars and stiffer suspension would help.

The suspension is VERY soft stock lol I didn't notice till I put my rally armor flaps on and they scrape the ground over bumps. Not that it matters because they're ment to have gravel flying at them.

I'll let you know soon, getting 8" wheels with 245 tyres fitted tomorrow to mine :) I have heard that the Australian VT had a suspension and steering upgrade over what other countries got, so far I have been very happy with mine but we will see if the steering gets any faster with the wider more grippy tyres

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

Try coilovers, sway bars & tires will be a waste of money if you're trying to get stiffer suspension preventing your mud guards to scrape the ground.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try coilovers, sway bars & tires will be a waste of money if you're trying to get stiffer suspension preventing your mud guards to scrape the ground.
I don't care if the mud flaps hit the ground :p they are 20$ and can take the beating.

I'm unhappy with the handling of the car is all, seems like you yank the wheel then a few seconds later the car turns alot less violently then you intended or something along thoes lines :[

On my RX8 i had racing beat sway bars and tein suspension as well as a good wide set of BF's and you could tell ;)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
My 240sx is old and will out handle the VT anyday probably even with suspension mods and still is the most responsive car I've driven yet except my E46 M3. All the 240sx has is lowering springs from 15 yrs ago. The EVO X I test drove was also very nice, but it's about the same as my 240sx.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 240sx is old and will out handle the VT anyday probably even with suspension mods and still is the most responsive car I've driven yet except my E46 M3. All the 240sx has is lowering springs from 15 yrs ago. The EVO X I test drove was also very nice, but it's about the same as my 240sx.
Nice to know... But I was not here to compete with your 240, I was asking if anyone else noticed the laggy steering and if anyone had done anything to tighten it up

·
Registered
82 Posts
Nice to know... But I was not here to compete with your 240, I was asking if anyone else noticed the laggy steering and if anyone had done anything to tighten it up
You are not alone on experiencing the "laggy" steering. Good news is that it can be corrected. There are three components to this.

1. Electric Power Steering doesn't feel the same as the hydraulic ones. You can't do much about that.

2. The stock tires probably takes 80% of the blame with its soft sidewall.

3. Installing a front strut bar will also help tighten the steering feeling.

I replaced my stock tire as soon as I took delivery of the car with Hankook V12. It completely changed the steering feel of the car. The steering improved even further with the strut bar. You still get a hint that it is electric power steering, but I have no complain what so ever. Probably 95% of the lag is now gone.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Probably 95% of the lag is NOT gone.
95% is NOT gone?

Sweet words of wisdom haha everyone seems to be saying tires, not something im going to replace while they still have good tread but It sits well in the back of my mind that its an easy improvement :)

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sorry, that was a typo. I meant 95% is NOW gone. I would say changing the tires contributed to 80% of that.

95% is NOT gone?

Sweet words of wisdom haha everyone seems to be saying tires, not something im going to replace while they still have good tread but It sits well in the back of my mind that its an easy improvement :)

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry, that was a typo. I meant 95% is NOW gone. I would say changing the tires contributed to 80% of that.
Awesome, Thanks for the Info! I'll be getting wider and higher grade tires eventually :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Awesome, Thanks for the Info! I'll be getting wider and higher grade tires eventually :)
How wide do you plan to go 235/35/R18 or 245/35/R18? Keep in mind that there are both pros and cons with wider tire.

Pro:
- Generally more grip
- Looks awesome

Con:
- Wider tire numbs steering feel
- Likely worse mileage
- Likely heavier, hurting acceleration
- Potential issue with clearance/rubbing

Going with 245 will give you the same radius as stock 215/40/R18. If you go with 235/35/R18, you will effectively lower the car by about 0.15 inch.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How wide do you plan to go 235/35/R18 or 245/35/R18? Keep in mind that there are both pros and cons with wider tire.

Pro:
- Generally more grip
- Looks awesome

Con:
- Wider tire numbs steering feel
- Likely worse mileage
- Likely heavier, hurting acceleration
- Potential issue with clearance/rubbing

Going with 245 will give you the same radius as stock 215/40/R18. If you go with 235/35/R18, you will effectively lower the car by about 0.15 inch.
As wide as I can fit without using spacers or getting really offset wheels.

Its not a track cat so I'm not TOO concerned about loosing alittle speed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I planned to fit 245 on mine, but the tyre stuck out of the guard slightly (around 8-10mm) so I decided to go with a 235 instead. steering response is almost instant now with no noticeable on centre play.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I planned to fit 245 on mine, but the tyre stuck out of the guard slightly (around 8-10mm) so I decided to go with a 235 instead. steering response is almost instant now with no noticeable on centre play.
Can we get a pick of how it looks in the rear ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Can we get a pick of how it looks in the rear ;)
Yeah no probs, but that will have to wait until tomorrow as I don't have one yet lol I can show you this for now though :)

Here is what the tyre itself looks like. Nice and wide, but a low treadwear rating of 220 means they wont get a very long life!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey FFEEkY I'll have to keep an eye out for you on the road now especially when I'm up at the sunny coast (already been up there twice with my car).
And nice wheels, I'd love to see what they look like in person sometime as I am thinking of changing my wheels/tires before too long.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.