Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Man, I'm nervous about starting a build thread, well here goes.

I owned a 2008 Subaru Impreza A/T that I bought three years ago and was badly damaged in a hail storm last summer which started me thinking about getting and new car. I never considered a Hyundai, to be honest, until I saw my friends roommates NAV.

I like unusual looking cars, especially with huge grills and hatchbacks. I knew when I bought the car it had to be new, I needed low payments, and I wanted a hatchback turbo.

So I drove off the lot with my matte gray VT that had 19 miles on it. This is how she looked the night I brought her home.

So far:
MBRP Catback 2.5" Exhaust
Tork Catless Downpipe
Turbosocks SRI
6EE Shifter Cable End Bushings
18x8.5 Enkei Kojin
BC Racing Type BR Coilovers
845 Cold Pipe
Synapse r35v BOV
845 Hotpipe
Saikou Michi Dual Catch Cans
Seibon Carbon Fiber OE Replica Hood SoCal Garage Works (thanks Greg!!) CF
Redline Quick Lift Hood Struts
Fenders
EX LED Two Way Turn Signals
Cappelletti Designs RGBW Eyelines
Pierce VT ONE Strut Bar

This is how she sits now, save for a few adjustments.

You can also follow this build on my tumblr. Veloster Tuner

My future performance mods are as follows in order:

845 Upgraded Core FMIC
BTR Tune (non staged, adaptive???)

Visually I'd like to do a lot of stuff, I went to school for illustration and design and I'm very visual so I'd love to design my own wrap but all of this is far down the list.

I've got some wheel and tire money but I'd like to put it towards some Pierce suspension products and a big break kit because I want to get on the track and start doing some real driving.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CES sucks you're leaving us. :/ I'm looking forward to seeing how much power I can squeeze out without going meth/water injection. Id.love to get 280-90 out of it at about 25 psi, then pay the car off and go full upgraded internals.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Water/alcohol injection.
I guess we'll see in the pre tune dyno after all the bolt ons, then the post tune dyno. I'm cautiously optimistic, it is a 2016 after all, and we don't know what can be done with these things, most of the higher hp output VeeTees on here are 13s and 14s.

That being said if we can't scratch 250 with bolt ons a 1.5 tune we've all bought the wrong car X.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do a dyno right now before you do anything else, post it up & I'll tell you if you'll be in the ballpark or not.
All I have on the car is an intake and an exhaust. I'd feel stupid for spending the money on a dyno, even asking a shop to schedule a few pulls, just to prove something to you?

Come on man.

It's okay.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're kind of raining all over my parade here. In fact, you're going around and popping all the parade balloons.

I'm not against doing WAI, I just don't want to mess with that stuff if I don't have to (mostly because I don't know anything about it). Other than that, what other "serious tuning" Would I need to do get to 280.

I'm not looking to spend 10k on a car to get it under 300whp so unless I seriously hunker down for the next 5 years and go full blown internals and big turbo how do I get to something more fun than the 180 (maybe, lol) it's pulling now? According to you I mean.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Tires and autocross! If you want straight line speed buy a v8 something and put a blower on it. I think getting to 230whp with intake, downpipe, exhaust, and tune is fairly reasonable. At that point you will be traction limited where a limited slip will be a must and any crazy dumps on the clutch might start hurt drivetrain components. I should get mine dynoed since i'm only at 6EE cai and about to do the downpipe, post cat delete (or exhaust change out).

Keep in mind a 2007 350Z HR is lucky to put down 250whp and rated at 308hp but also weigh a bit more and a much more expensive 2 seater car. At 230-240whp in the veloster the power will not be the problem.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tires and autocross! If you want straight line speed buy a v8 something and put a blower on it. I think getting to 230whp with intake, downpipe, exhaust, and tune is fairly reasonable. At that point you will be traction limited where a limited slip will be a must and any crazy dumps on the clutch might start hurt drivetrain components. I should get mine dynoed since i'm only at 6EE cai and about to do the downpipe, post cat delete (or exhaust change out).

Keep in mind a 2007 350Z HR is lucky to put down 250whp and rated at 308hp but also weigh a bit more and a much more expensive 2 seater car. At 230-240whp in the veloster the power will not be the problem.
I'm definitely not looking for straight line power, and I'm interested in auto cross for sure! But I'd like to do some track days, we have this amateur track just east of me and I'd love to whip around there and make a lot of noise. Haha.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I pulled a hair over 240 with the mods i have and tuned by Tork....
What mods are you running?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Brother, I assure you, X is going to help any way he can. You'll get used to his direct approach. Great guy with immense knowledge. But the tuning is pretty intense on these things. They will have to tweak everything according to your location and any mods you have. For the dyno.....go ahead and pay the 60-80 bucks for a few pulls. It's pretty good to know where you are and where you need to get to. I've done the baseline dyno before any mods and was quite sad on my last car. Now I'm looking at a few bolt ons and getting dyno'd pre tune to see the jump I get. You should be good with seeing your numbers right now though.

Good luck and keep us posted on everything man.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Brother, I assure you, X is going to help any way he can. You'll get used to his direct approach. Great guy with immense knowledge. But the tuning is pretty intense on these things. They will have to tweak everything according to your location and any mods you have. For the dyno.....go ahead and pay the 60-80 bucks for a few pulls. It's pretty good to know where you are and where you need to get to. I've done the baseline dyno before any mods and was quite sad on my last car. Now I'm looking at a few bolt ons and getting dyno'd pre tune to see the jump I get. You should be good with seeing your numbers right now though.

Good luck and keep us posted on everything man.
I just scheduled it with http://racingtrenz.com.

Damn it X.

Haha.

·
Super Moderator
5,343 Posts
2014 Sprint Gray RSpec M/T
Tork Down Pipe (Ceramic Coated)
Tork Stage 1 Dyno Tune
Injen CAI
Custom Hot Pipe
Cold pipe with Synapse DV
Pierce front strut bar and rear torsion bar (red of course)
SoCal Garage Works fog light screen
Diode Dynamics Red interior LED Lighting
Stay Fresh Products

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
2014 Sprint Gray RSpec M/T
Tork Down Pipe (Ceramic Coated)
Tork Stage 1 Dyno Tune
Injen CAI
Custom Hot Pipe
Cold pipe with Synapse DV
Pierce front strut bar and rear torsion bar (red of course)
SoCal Garage Works fog light screen
Diode Dynamics Red interior LED Lighting
Stay Fresh Products
That's awesome man, thanks for posting that for me. I looked for a build thread, didn't see one. I think an fmic and a 1.5 tune can get up a bit on that. We'll see.
If anything my build can teach us some new things?

Baseline dyno should be done Friday afternoon if if can get in the shop, Thursday at the earliest. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was at 197 with full bolts including stock modded turbo on the mustang dyno. After tune came to 240 on mustang dyno, no meth inject and only running 18 psi.
Here's my VT getting tuned at 23:40 https:
Here's explanation of mustang dyno results compared to dynojet:

280-290 has to be possible, especially if we're going by dynojet numbers. I can imagine I reached that if I was at 21 psi?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I was at 197 with full bolts including stock modded turbo on the mustang dyno. After tune came to 240 on mustang dyno, no meth inject and only running 18 psi.
Here's my VT getting tuned at 23:40 https:
Here's explanation of mustang dyno results compared to dynojet:

280-290 has to be possible, especially if we're going by dynojet numbers. I can imagine I reached that if I was at 21 psi?
Thats awesome... You're VT sounds real good! I might have to give the SFR tune a look.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts