Veloster Turbo Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
First, I have never heard of an oil leak causing a misfire. Also, if you have a minor crack in your lower oil pan,that pan is steel. Perhaps you're thinking of the upper oil pan. Hyundai doesn't list that as a separate item but as part of the block assembly.
I got a replacement for mine for $150 off the web from a salvage yard. JB welding the crack in the upper pan should be no problem. Then, the lower pan can be reinstalled with new sealant and everything should be good, as there is only crankcase pressure on the aluminum upper pan. Replacing it does require pulling the engine or at least separating it from the transmission and removal of the timing cover before it can be removed.
I think the misfire on no 3 is a totally separate issue.
The dude's service guide states 19 hours of labor.. That's what his service guide states that you have to pull some of the transmission away and some of the timing belts. We may go down that path later down the road but my main point for posting my issue is to see if we thought the ignition coils had to be replaced this early?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't recall any component near the upper oil pan that could cause a misfire from a minor oil leak. I would suspect an ignition component is malfunctioning and causing the misfire. There have been reports of some coils going bad prematurely, in as little as 30k miles or so. This seems to be more common in earlier Velosters; before 2016.
It's probably just a coincidence that it's occurring while you have a hairline crack leaking oil. The technician is applying the flat rate for labor needed to make a complete repair. This would require replacing the upper oil pan, a very expensive venture. I'm personally replacing mine because it had a chunk broken out of it due to careless mishandling at a lot.
If the hairline crack is leaking very little and is near the bottom of the Upper pan(just above the steel oil pan), it shouldn't be too difficult or expensive to do a makeshift repair. You could drain the oil, spraying the area where the crack is with Brake cleaner, rough sand it a bit and apply JB-weld to the outside, over the crack. This way, if some of the JB-weld breaks loose, it's not inside your engine. If it's located higher up on the upper pan, You can use the same process, but it may be more difficult to get to it, requiring removal of more things for access.
There are several discussions about the coils in posts on this page and lots of info to be found.

·
Registered
68 Posts
After rereading your earlier post, I see that you have about 28K on your last coil replacement. Did you replace just one or all? A drop in oil pressure would cause an ignition shutdown rather than just a misfire on #3. If you had a leak large enough for an ignition shutdown, there'd be oil everywhere.
Is there oil from the leak contaminating some of the connections on the front of the engine? If it's a hairline crack, I would think the leak would be miniscule.

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
After rereading your earlier post, I see that you have about 28K on your last coil replacement. Did you replace just one or all? A drop in oil pressure would cause an ignition shutdown rather than just a misfire on #3. If you had a leak large enough for an ignition shutdown, there'd be oil everywhere.
Is there oil from the leak contaminating some of the connections on the front of the engine? If it's a hairline crack, I would think the leak would be miniscule.
That's what we did since I was already due for an oil change. Letting it cure for 48 hrs. A while back, I paid Hyundai $400 for the coil packs as it got so bad that the car had to get towed since it was idling rough. 30K miles later and I've bought it for half the price now knowing that they run for a lot less. Sadly, only 3 were in stock for the same price ($50) so I will only be replacing just that one and taking it out for a spin. Continues, I'll do 2 others for giggles.

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
Probably just a coil then. I'd recommend new plugs as well. Please let us know if that fixes it.
Car is doing good, I just replaced the one coil since the others only have 30K. Many WOTs and different range of boost from 0-18 PSI was seen. Didn’t bother to review the plugs since they also have 30K and are HKS 1 step cold and last time I changed them they had looked barely worn at 60K miles.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Awesome, sounds like the coil was the culprit then. I recommended changing plugs because I have seen bad coils that would severely foul a plug. Glad your VT is doing well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Coils came in today, she's running good as new. Thabks for the help @trdtoy

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Hey bro i just got a 13 veloster turbo it has 33k miles on it and im having the same problems as the ones you had can you please tell me what you did to solve it, ive been reading through your comments but im confused since this is my first car thanks

61 - 71 of 71 Posts