Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between "Sports Mode" with the S and manual shifting and the "Sports Mode" dissappears and instead of "S", current gear appears?

·
Registered
730 Posts
What is the difference between "Sports Mode" with the S and manual shifting and the "Sports Mode" dissappears and instead of "S", current gear appears?
With S you are in Auto with Sports Mode (not using paddles), with the current gear displaying, you are using paddles to shift. Even in regular mode, you can down shift using the paddles when overtaking someone on the highway. It goes into semi-manual mode for a few seconds, then it returns to regular A/T. Try it just before stepping on the pedal and see how much fun it is to zip by someone on the highway, or do a quick lane change, without pedal lag.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With S you are in Auto with Sports Mode (not using paddles), with the current gear displaying, you are using paddles to shift. Even in regular mode, you can down shift using the paddles when overtaking someone on the highway. It goes into semi-manual mode for a few seconds, then it returns to regular A/T. Try it just before stepping on the pedal and see how much fun it is to zip by someone on the highway, or do a quick lane change, without pedal lag.
I'm confused lol.
So the "Sport Mode" with S appearing on the dashboard means it's still in auto and when the current gear appears it means I have full control?

·
Registered
407 Posts
In sport mode with the "S" showing, the car is in sport mode. Sport mode holds gears longer keeping the turbo and engine in peak power RPMs.
Anytime you use the paddles, the gear selected is what shows on the display regardless of mode.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In sport mode with the "S" showing, the car is in sport mode. Sport mode holds gears longer keeping the turbo and engine in peak power RPMs.
Anytime you use the paddles, the gear selected is what shows on the display regardless of mode.
So if I put the car in Sport Mode and manual start shifting, I am still in sport mode?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm confused lol.
So the "Sport Mode" with S appearing on the dashboard means it's still in auto and when the current gear appears it means I have full control?
Yes correct, and you are not confused. You can use the paddles even when not in Sports Mode, and it makes it fun too, just not as spirited as in Sports Mode.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes correct, and you are not confused. You can use the paddles even when not in Sports Mode, and it makes it fun too, just not as spirited as in Sports Mode.
So tapping the stick to the right is basically sports mode on always and leaving it in "D" is regular?

·
Registered
730 Posts
So tapping the stick to the right is basically sports mode on always and leaving it in "D" is regular?
You got it! You can use the paddles in either position, though in sport you have to do the shifting. Also in sport, you can use the stick as you would in a manual trans instead of the paddles.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Also, in Sport Mode, the transmission will holdthe gear you have selected through a corner for better control. I'm a little disappointed it will not hold the gear as long as I want it to but it's still a good compromise.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I think there's a significant difference to our Sports mode than the O/D switch in other cars - I feel the car downshifting more aggressively in S, especially if I'm slowing down; O/D mode usually just holds the gears longer and revs higher, but doesn't react as intelligently.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts