Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, I apologize if it has. I recently picked up a 2014 Veloster turbo with the dimension audio system. The mid and high ranges sound decent but anything down low is almost non existent. What I'm hoping to find is a drop in replacement for the stock sub. Trunk space is very important to me and I'd rather not spend allot on a new amp, wiring, etc. I don't need a sub that can be heard from the next county, just something with a bit more kick than stock. I'd even be open to a sub that requires an enclosure, if it was compact enough.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,434 Posts
hey, i noticed too on mine.

what i've found is the better the sound quality, the "louder" the sub is. when i'm streaming over bluetooth, i barely hear the sub. when i'm listening to my USB stick or XM radio, the sub sounds great.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
i too have notice lately that i wanted a little more boom, but i strictly stream over bluetooth. maybe its time to break out the AUX cable again to see if that helps a little. however if i were to just replace the sub in the stock location would that help? i like my trunk space and don't want to splice in a second amp.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
i can say there is nothing i know of that will replace the stock sub exactly. And i don't feel the stock amp has enough power to push anything after market either.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, I apologize if it has. I recently picked up a 2014 Veloster turbo with the dimension audio system. The mid and high ranges sound decent but anything down low is almost non existent. What I'm hoping to find is a drop in replacement for the stock sub. Trunk space is very important to me and I'd rather not spend allot on a new amp, wiring, etc. I don't need a sub that can be heard from the next county, just something with a bit more kick than stock. I'd even be open to a sub that requires an enclosure, if it was compact enough.

Thanks!
JBL has a custom box for the veloster with a 10" sub and it's 600$ You'll need a 2nd amp to power it as well. Import shark sells a spare tire kit with 10" sub and amp and all but it's 800$ or so.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
i can say there is nothing i know of that will replace the stock sub exactly. And i don't feel the stock amp has enough power to push anything after market either.
so even with a better sub the stock amp is going to still hold it back? obviously i know if i want more thump i need more power from a better amp, but i am wondering if even a better sub will help a little with out going for a bigger amp.

·
Registered
919 Posts
so even with a better sub the stock amp is going to still hold it back? obviously i know if i want more thump i need more power from a better amp, but i am wondering if even a better sub will help a little with out going for a bigger amp.
That's correct. The stock subwoofer is 20w RMS 40w peak, and thats what the amplifier is designed to ojtput. You won't find an aftermarket sub that will have even the slightest bit of bump with that limited amount of power. Something to think about may be a powered enclosure type subwoofer, like a bazooka or one of the JL audio ones that are designed to hide under seats. Those will give you a little bump without the super bass-y tones that come from big aftermarket systems. If you want a hidden system that will sound pretty heavy, go with the JL Audio stealthbox. It hides up to a 13.5" shallow sub in the spare tire well, but is extremely pricey. I think just the box is like 500 but don't quote me on that. There is also another JL that fills the cavity on the right side of the trunk, do a little googling and you'll find it.

Long story short, for a stock replacement.... Probably not going to happen.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
darn well i guess i will have to try using the AUX cord for better quality sound until i can save up for something a bit better.

·
Super Moderator
3,434 Posts
infinity basslink powered enclosures are great too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I find the USB is a touch better than the aux cable(at least with a 5S). The aux cable can exceed the USB a bit with an external headphone amp. This can allow you to maximize the gain. FiiO makes several decent battery powered ones. In the end though I found that everything comes up short of what I want. Bass is very much like horsepower. You get used to it and want more pretty quickly.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
aux cable definitely will have better sound than bluetooth. I run the bass on like 3, but I am not a fan of boom boom anymore. My days of two 12s in the back been long gone. I got no complaints about factory audio system though myself. Baby is always with me so i never get to blare it anyways. pretty low and I can still hear the sub though.

Now home theater, that shit gets turned up and I do have two 12" subs in it, but it's not boomy. They do exactly what they should , pick up the lows you wouldn't otherwise hear with floor stander speakers and no subs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anyone here put in a compact, powered replacement for the 8" sub? I'm looking to preserve cargo space and I don't really want a huge box filling up my trunk (as I use my trunk a TON since I travel a lot). I was wondering how the wiring went if so ... and what powered subs you were using (since the stock amp obviously wouldn't be able to drive any decent sub without an additional amp).

·
Registered
919 Posts
Has anyone here put in a compact, powered replacement for the 8" sub? I'm looking to preserve cargo space and I don't really want a huge box filling up my trunk (as I use my trunk a TON since I travel a lot). I was wondering how the wiring went if so ... and what powered subs you were using (since the stock amp obviously wouldn't be able to drive any decent sub without an additional amp).
You could hide a compact 8 or even possibly a 10 under the drivers seat pretty easily. Unless you have the ultimate package, I think the inverter for the AC outlet is under there instead. Those compact all-in-ones work pretty well for hearing your bass, but they won't rattle your car if that's honestly what you want.

I can help with any wiring you need, feel free to PM me. I also have a "how to..." Somewhere that will essentially be the same. If I wasnt on my phone I'd post a link for you.

Reactions: dezzy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sweet thanks! If you can ever find the link, please go ahead and post. I'll also PM you since I'll probably have questions about just putting a small, compact all-in-one underneath my driver's seat.

Yeah, I'm totally past the age where I don't need trunk, rattling bass anymore ... I just want a deeper, developed sound stage where there's some nice low end coming in from somewhere. :) Just enough where it tingles but not enough where I'm heard a block away sort of thing.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Sweet thanks! If you can ever find the link, please go ahead and post. I'll also PM you since I'll probably have questions about just putting a small, compact all-in-one underneath my driver's seat.

Yeah, I'm totally past the age where I don't need trunk, rattling bass anymore ... I just want a deeper, developed sound stage where there's some nice low end coming in from somewhere. :) Just enough where it tingles but not enough where I'm heard a block away sort of thing.
I'm not an expert but you better do some measuring under the seat. I'm skeptical about a box and sub fitting under the driver seat. An amp will squeeze in there I know.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'm not an expert but you better do some measuring under the seat. I'm skeptical about a box and sub fitting under the driver seat. An amp will squeeze in there I know.
I'm not talking about a traditional amp, box, and subwoofer setup fitting under the seat. There are "all-in-ones" that are designed to fit in super tight spaces like that. It usually is an 8 or 10, shallowmount style, inside of a cast enclosure that also houses the amplifier. I'm also not saying that any old one of these will fit, there are SOME that are small enough.

Reactions: dezzy

·
Registered
919 Posts

·
Registered
5,021 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
I had that in my Saturn. It will not fit under the seat. I bet you have 3" of vertical clearance at best under the drivers seat.
I said "like". Something "like" this. I'm on my phone right now or I'd post one that would fit. Also, there is way more than 3" clearance if you don't have the ultimate package as I stated above. It also depends on where you like your seat height wise. Some people like it way up as high as it will go, other like it all the way down. There are a lot of variables here.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts