Veloster Turbo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
I said "like". Something "like" this. I'm on my phone right now or I'd post one that would fit. Also, there is way more than 3" clearance if you don't have the ultimate package as I stated above. It also depends on where you like your seat height wise. Some people like it way up as high as it will go, other like it all the way down. There are a lot of variables here.
Gotcha. Sorry I misunderstood. Kenwood I know has a shallow mount all in one needs about 4.25" vertical height to fit. There may be something out there.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Gotcha. Sorry I misunderstood. Kenwood I know has a shallow mount all in one needs about 4.25" vertical height to fit. There may be something out there.
All good man. That Kenwood one sounds like a good idea! I'll have to look it up when I get around a computer.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
All good man. That Kenwood one sounds like a good idea! I'll have to look it up when I get around a computer.
KSC-SW11 is the model

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Just wanted to let u guys know....I heard a NaV on Saturday with nice bass. Nothing extremely loud, but noticably NOT stock. So I asked him what he had...he said, and showed me...he had a single 6" bazooka tube running off of the stock power. 20w to the bazooka tube. It sounded damn nice. He took out the spare thing and had it there.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just wanted to let u guys know....I heard a NaV on Saturday with nice bass. Nothing extremely loud, but noticably NOT stock. So I asked him what he had...he said, and showed me...he had a single 6" bazooka tube running off of the stock power. 20w to the bazooka tube. It sounded damn nice. He took out the spare thing and had it there.
Just a heads up.

Bazooka Tubes come pre-built with their own built-in amp. The tube this guy had was only using the stock factory wiring for signal, not power. Bazooka Tubes require their own power for the built-in amp to work. Now he could have used the stock signal/power wires to power the 6" speaker inside the tube and bypass the amp but that would be a massive waste of time and effort. If it sounded good, he most likely is using the Bazooka Tube amp.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
It isn't about wattage to make bass. It is about moving air. You can have great bass with a decent sub, minimal wattage and a well designed enclosure. Do not get stuck on more watts = more bass. that is not the case.

·
Registered
439 Posts
And remember effeciency. they make subs today based on things that they did NOT back in the early 90s.
1. Stiff suspension. In the 90s, subs had moderately weak suspension, thats why the bad ass kicker competition (kicker outline in gold) only handled 300wrms.
2. Effeciency. Look at subs, made today, that people compete with. The effeciency is horrid because they need so much power to move the stiff suspension.
3. Motor Structure/Cooling system. They will tell you that the big motor is to better cool for playing hard for extended periods. Bl-Mfkn-sht. Its to need/use more power.

I've had subs...lets say the Orion XTR2s, for example...outlast some of todays best subs. I had my system at about 65% to 75% for over 6 hours one day, no break. (huge outdoor party) and these subs sounded the same at the beginning as they did after. Now today. I've had 4 Sundown SA15s. They got stinky after 15 minutes of play, and faded hard. Same for DD. So many, SOOOOOO MMMMAAAAAAANNNNNNYYYYY people dont truly know what makes a sub "good" anymore.3

Sure, lets say you got a single 12 that tips 156.6 dB in the kicks. I'd bet after a consecutive hour of play...you MIGHT do 148. They make subs today to burp. Simple as that.
The next sub(s) I buy will be modified to infinite baffle specs and I'll show what can happen on VERY little power. Now, dont take this as me being a dck. Im truly sorry if I come across as that. Its totally not meant to be. But from my limited experience....

Small + Effecient + Vented/Ported = Bass with less power.

Port the stock enclosure and see what happens.

·
Registered
11 Posts
And remember effeciency. they make subs today based on things that they did NOT back in the early 90s.
1. Stiff suspension. In the 90s, subs had moderately weak suspension, thats why the bad ass kicker competition (kicker outline in gold) only handled 300wrms.
2. Effeciency. Look at subs, made today, that people compete with. The effeciency is horrid because they need so much power to move the stiff suspension.
3. Motor Structure/Cooling system. They will tell you that the big motor is to better cool for playing hard for extended periods. Bl-Mfkn-sht. Its to need/use more power.

I've had subs...lets say the Orion XTR2s, for example...outlast some of todays best subs. I had my system at about 65% to 75% for over 6 hours one day, no break. (huge outdoor party) and these subs sounded the same at the beginning as they did after. Now today. I've had 4 Sundown SA15s. They got stinky after 15 minutes of play, and faded hard. Same for DD. So many, SOOOOOO MMMMAAAAAAANNNNNNYYYYY people dont truly know what makes a sub "good" anymore.3

Sure, lets say you got a single 12 that tips 156.6 dB in the kicks. I'd bet after a consecutive hour of play...you MIGHT do 148. They make subs today to burp. Simple as that.
The next sub(s) I buy will be modified to infinite baffle specs and I'll show what can happen on VERY little power. Now, dont take this as me being a dck. Im truly sorry if I come across as that. Its totally not meant to be. But from my limited experience....

VelODamn do you know if that bazooka was a single voice coil or dual? Is the factory sub dual voice coil?

·
Registered
7,106 Posts

ALL this is SO freaking true!

You mentioned "Small + Efficient + Vented/Ported = Bass with less power". The same goes for "Small + Efficient + 4th order bandpass = Bass with less power.

·
Registered
439 Posts
MDZ... I've always loved 4th, 5th, and 6th order enclosures. The only thing I truly dont like about them...its hard to hear when your sub is failing. I truly wanted to run a triple vented chamber bandpass on my pair of 6.5" subs. I've heard these little monsters get loud in a pre-fab vented box. As far as I've ever seen...bandpass is much louder when built correctly. Just not 100% sure if I want that big of an enclosure as of yet.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Im saving my money to get a JL Audio Stealthbox. Had one in my Scion XB and I think their very pricey but worth the money. Had it hook up with the Alpine PDX-4 amp and sounded incredible.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
MDZ... I've always loved 4th, 5th, and 6th order enclosures. The only thing I truly don't like about them...its hard to hear when your sub is failing. I truly wanted to run a triple vented chamber bandpass on my pair of 6.5" subs. I've heard these little monsters get loud in a pre-fab vented box. As far as I've ever seen...bandpass is much louder when built correctly. Just not 100% sure if I want that big of an enclosure as of yet.
You mentioned this before. But my thinking is as long as you are not feeding too much power to your subs, they will be alright just like in any box. But the ONLY box I run are Toby Bandpasses which are the best bandpass boxes in the world :D (this is why I want you to hear them so bad) They make a 150rms single sub bandpass box (10") that makes most 1k watt setup sound weak!

If I don't use Toby's, I use something crazy like a box that holds 4 subs for shiggles. I done that before in my CB7 and it hit HARD until I blow the speakers lol they were BS speakers with a HUGE amp. It hit hard. But the box and amp got stolen. I would do that again but not in the VT. Only Toby's will go in it. COME ON over here bro :D

Im saving my money to get a JL Audio Stealthbox. Had one in my Scion XB and I think they're very pricey but worth the money. Had it hook up with the Alpine PDX-4 amp and sounded incredible.
If you found something you like in the past and are very content with the way it sound, no need to go any other direction unless you are just wanting something else. Post pics when you get the stealthbox :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
After some months of use I've found that the stock sub is actually better than I initially thought. However, any audio that is sent over bluetooth is mediocre at best. I stick to a hard wired connection/USB/XM radio for most of my listening.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Lol ^37 replies and 3 months later.... "Nevermind"......

Well it sparked some good discussion anyway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Let me add a belated thank you to all who replied. I ultimately decided that I value my trunk space over a sub and don't feel like going through the effort or expense for something that would fit in the spare wheel well. I actually forgot about this thread, hence the late reply :)

21 - 40 of 43 Posts