Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

About a year or two ago i installed a double catch can set up and many thanks to the members on this forum, i finally got it installed correctly.

I have a catch can installed on the pcv side (correct me if im wrong) which i was told it is a closed circuit (my original set up had a breather so cel kept lighting up). I emptied it last week and alot of gunk was trapped in there.

I have a second catch can w/breather installed for the other side and when i checked it, it didnt have any build up or gunk. Clean as a whistle. Im starting to wonder if the catch can is set up above a certain height it wont catch anything.

Coolant flush:
So my vt is close to hitting 89km (not sure what that is in miles) and im attempting my first coolant flush.

After reading the threads here, ive decided to go with hyundai's oem coolant. Either the ones recommended is not sold here, or theres split opinions, which is why ive decided to go with the original stuff.

I have an AT and info i found online says 5.2L for AT and 5L for MT.

Hyundai only sells the concentrate so i got some de-ionized water to mix with. However, im gonna flush with distilled water as it comes cheaper by the litre. The directions from hyundai says 60/40 coolant to water ratio but seems like everyone is doing 50/50 here.

Can anyone tell me if I should use coolant flush along with the water or decide after seeing the colour of my coolant?

Also, any opinions on the mix ratio would be helpful.

·
Super Moderator
3,710 Posts
i used oreilly's 50/50 when i did mine. seems alright 26K miles later.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have basically the same results with the dual occ set-up. One can fills up, the other collects almost nothing. It's usually just a bit of oily residue that I wipe out with a paper towel.

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,233 Posts
Catch can height will not matter. Many other factors will effect how much is in each can though.

I flush most cars with distilled water unless cleaning the system out. Then you can use any compatible coolant and mix strong enough to not freeze in your area. Most I fill require 1.25-1.5 gallon total.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i used oreilly's 50/50 when i did mine. seems alright 26K miles later.
I guess 60/40 is specifically for hyundai's oem coolant.

50/50 would be easy to mix but i got no measuring cups to get a 60/40 precise max. Gonna find me a water bottle

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have basically the same results with the dual occ set-up. One can fills up, the other collects almost nothing. It's usually just a bit of oily residue that I wipe out with a paper towel.
Good to know. I guess im not the only one so it should be correct.

There are times before i hit the highway, i step on the pedal a little harder than usual, and i notice a gassy smell so i think the breather is venting. It only happens when i step on the gas but when i had it installed the other way around it was gassy 24/7

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Catch can height will not matter. Many other factors will effect how much is in each can though.

I flush most cars with distilled water unless cleaning the system out. Then you can use any compatible coolant and mix strong enough to not freeze in your area. Most I fill require 1.25-1.5 gallon total.
Mine is a 2014 vt, never changed the coolant so i think its about time i flushed it all out. I got it from the dealership so the coolant should be the same.

Btw, this is off topic but have you experienced any issues with the fuel level sensor? Mine goes haywire sometimes and it costs around $370 just for a replacement. Im thinking of taking it out and try to clean any debris, if theres any.

·
Super Moderator
5,233 Posts
Fuel level sender is not that costly. I'd expect 1/3 to 1/4 that cost. I've replaced them before.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fuel level sender is not that costly. I'd expect 1/3 to 1/4 that cost. I've replaced them before.
Where did u order yours?

I went into the dealership ytd and they said $370 for the whole fuel pump + sending unit. This price isnt including installation.

·
Super Moderator
5,233 Posts
You just need the sender only. Was less than $70 USD shipped to me. Will be higher to you. Albert Hwang on FB.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Super Moderator
5,233 Posts
Looks correct but I'd have to go back to double check the part number.

·
Registered
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT Ultimate
205 Posts
I actually have a stripped down fuel pump assembly if you want it. 20$+shipping :D

·
Registered
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT Ultimate
205 Posts
I needed a replacement fuel pump wire that didn't exist anywhere so I had to but a used assembly. It's apart right now because I didn't need to put it back together but it's just a small clip. Other than the wire its the complete assembly. I'll grab a picture in a second.

Yikes... ~$100-200... maybe not lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I needed a replacement fuel pump wire that didn't exist anywhere so I had to but a used assembly. It's apart right now because I didn't need to put it back together but it's just a small clip. Other than the wire its the complete assembly. I'll grab a picture in a second.

Yikes... ~$100-200... maybe not lol
no worries, mine isnt all out broken yet. At times it wont read and most of the time it works. It's $70CAD, so its not too bad imo.

·
Super Moderator
5,233 Posts
I have 2 spares but no clue if they even good so I did not offer. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,233 Posts
Car-part.com. There has to be some in Canada

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just finished the flush.

It took less than 5.2litres of coolant, however, i believe i flushed it properly. - I took the petcock out, let it drain as much as possible, opened the radiator cap and turned the car on while blasting the heat while letting it drain some more. I'd say the most it took was 3-4 litres.

The reservoir didn't seem to drain on its own so i had to pump out the old coolant.

I'd say it was a very different expectation and experience compared to videos i found online on how to do this. Maybe cos i expected it to take the whole 5.2litres.

Anyone did the flush themselves and have a similar result?🤔

1 - 20 of 22 Posts