Which should I get?

• Solo 2.5" Catted HF DP

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Pierce 2.5" Catted HF DP

Votes: 15 68.2%

Downpipe discussion- SOLO vs Pierce

14K views 58 replies 25 participants last post by  Frisco 
#1 · (Edited)
So I've been digging through a lot of the posts regarding down pipes.
I'm in the market and have my mind set on 2.5" catted high flow.
With that being said, let's compare... thoughts? concerns? discussion? arguments?...

SOLO
Initial release/group-buy price: $339.15 (ends sept. 30)
Current price: GB pricing will change to $399.18
Cel count: 200
Bolts to stock: YES
HP results: 30 to the wheel (+-5)
Torque results: 25 to the wheel (+-5)

Pierce
Initial release/group-buy price: $379
Current price: $440?
Cel count: 200
Bolts to stock: YES
HP results: 17.7 to the wheel (+-5)
Torque results: 5.3 to the wheel (+-5)

See less See more
#2 ·
Seriously it's delivering that much to the wheels?

Can anything be done to take care of the CEL's though?

#6 ·
Maybe I'm reading the threads wrong. Aren't guys popping check engine lights with these?

#4 ·
until someone does an independent before and after dyno of the solo downpipe, i wouldn't get caught up by the claimed gains. price on the other hand, can't really get much better than that

Reactions: MyDianaZ06 and UHF3
#8 ·
#9 ·
I have the solo DP and 1000kms later there are no codes. They had 5 or 6 testers running thier DP before it was released and as far as I know there are no CELs.

As far as the gains are concerned they used my car to do the dyno tests. Take it for what it is. They aren't fabricated numbers.
The base run was with 345 FMIC, sock's BOV, and Solo Catback, removed the OEM intake resonator (still have oem air filter and intake)
The after run was all above plus DP.

#12 ·
Maybe I don't understand ur statement...

The base was with FMIC and catback. It was a pretty clear "before" picture.

#14 ·
DAMN 400 for a catted. I am glad the catless are only 240 lol

It is the same as cai's. one claims this much horsepower, another claims a different number.

From what I always heard, comparing dyno's are irrelevant unless they are done on the same dyno and car.

If Jim had his dyno done on a hot day on a certain dyno wherever he lives, and solo got theirs done on a different VT on a different dyno on a different day, of course they are going to be different numbers. What is to say that using jims dp wouldn't have had the same numbers if mwil028 had it and took the solo dp off and put the pms dp on and dyno'ed it right then and there?

#15 ·
For my sanity, craftsmanship and not to mention SUPERIOR customer support, I will pretty much always go with a Pierce product. I know for a fact that Jim wouldn't put out anything that he hasn't tested himself on his race car VT nor something that he doesn't believe in. He's not in this game for making a quick buck, but rather to enhance the cars that we all drive. He's been doing it for over 30 years if I remember correctly and the VT lineup is not his first car he's done work for ;). Now, as far as "gains" and numbers in general, we can split hairs over that biz sometimes. Just make your own buying decisions by reading up, inquiring and looking around. Once you ask opinions, well, we all know where that can get us... My 2 cents, not yours.

#35 ·
Well I just gutted my stock cats and can tell by the SOP dyno its a pretty noticable increase. I only just recently after 400km of driving threw a cel and am going to try the fouler mod and see if it will stop it from tripping. Maybe when I go for a tune Ill just get them shut off. If your willing/ able to go catless just hollow the stocker out save some money. I dont think the performance gain would be noticable between the costly and nicer offerings than just hollowing yours out.

#37 ·
malgadar is right on the money with those cels when u get a gutted or aftermarket dp u mostly pop a cel cuz it has no back pressure or the flow is too fast to read the proper oxygen flowing out. i had those issues on na vehicles before and his solution is a good one to moving the sensor farther out fix that issue, well most of the time thou.

#38 ·
there are no CEL with the Solo DP. No modifcation required to achive this. It was a direct bolt on. Also should mention that Solo's GB and regular price includes shipping.

#40 ·
Im very happy with the Solo exhausts on both my cars. My DP should be going on within the next few weeks. There have been 5 owners with prototypes for the past month or so and no reported CEL. The original tester has had his for a few months now working out any issues. Solo doesnt screw around when it comes to r&d.

I do recall reading that the Solo DP should see around 10-15hp "without" any other mods. Really the only way to get an accurate dyno is to compare the same parts, on the same car and on the same dyno. Otherwise and dyno chart is just an estimate.

#41 ·
I would really like to get a solo dp to match up with my solo catback. like MTD said, no doubt they don't play around. in my eyes, they took the catback category as soon as people heard the tune and saw the price. But I can't beat 200 bux for a 3" catless dp from jim lol. I am glad solo is providing this for our community though.

With that said I really can not vote properly since I am not interested in either since they are catted. But if I had to choose....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.