Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious, I am thinking about MAYBE seeing if there is any interest in a meet at Deals Gap or the Dragons tail in the NC/TN hills. If you don't know anything about it here is a brief description; 318 turns in 11 miles of mountain country. GOOGLE IT!!

Edit: Figured I would post the website.

http://tailofthedragon.com/#

Depending on how many are interested we can get a group discount on Lodging. So please look this up and find out, Unless your car is more for show..............

·
Registered
143 Posts
There's a Facebook group dedicated to this, they have a run going May 27-29. However, it's shaping up to be huge as there are currently 100 or so people "going" with another 100ish interested. I expect the usual 20-30% drop out rate closer to the event as people realize the didn't save enough money, or don't have lodging sorted, etc. That said, a smaller forum only thing might not be so bad. I'm used to going with maybe 20 cars total and about 30 or so people with my Celica family.

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
After going with trdtoy once, having too many people would not be that fun. Smaller groups of 5-10 would be much easier to organize. You don't want the slowbies holding the faster cars up.

·
Registered
143 Posts
After going with trdtoy once, having too many people would not be that fun. Smaller groups of 5-10 would be much easier to organize. You don't want the slowbies holding the faster cars up.
That's why you separate the groups, you get split into:
Seasoned/Prepped: heavy mod cars with experienced drivers that know WTF they are doing
Fast: light mods with good tires, and street skills but not full blown racer status (this group is most likely to issues with drivers going beyond the limits of themselves or their car, sadly)
Slow: little to no mods, cautious or unskilled driver

On the Dragon my Celica falls in between the seasoned/fast groups as it is slow in a straight line with the 2.2 paired with the automatic, the Veloster is going to be in the slow group just I still don't have as much experience driving manual.

So all said, if we want to organize a forum meet in the fall before the leaves start dropping I'm down.

·
Registered
310 Posts
What day? every time I discuss going to the tail I hear the stories of 35mph, large numbers of patrols and heavy traffic...
And I think I would be slow group, I'm not sure how spirited my spirited drives are.

warning tangent: we should set up a autocross or track day meet up...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
What day? every time I discuss going to the tail I hear the stories of 35mph, large numbers of patrols and heavy traffic...
And I think I would be slow group, I'm not sure how spirited my spirited drives are.

warning tangent: we should set up a autocross or track day meet up...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Speed limit on the Dragon is 30 MPH, and best time to go is early spring on a weekday. Fri-Sun are heavier patrols because more people come out on weekends. That all said, the road is no joke and has claimed human lives, as well as many a car or bike.

The speed limit on the Skyway is maybe 40 MPH, which in a prepped car with good tires that 40 MPH is slooow.

Nothing wrong with being in the slow group, I know of times when the slow group caught up to the last car in the fast group because the driver chose to change. Yet still left at the back of the fast group every time...

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have heard this as well; Highway patrol have stepped up enforcement.
Considering just the other day a WRX went over the yellow hit an ambulance that was responding to a motorcycle crash, can you blame them?

·
Registered
741 Posts
I don't want to be a dragon meet pooper, but there are countless of other amazing roads out there that aren't as patrolled or car populated. I found this motorcycle site to help weed out the roads, this is just an example of Ohio roads Top 100 Routes: Ohio | Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com and it led me to drive a lot of these. Yes I've been to the dragon twice but had more fun at some of these roads on the list. I agree also a smaller group is more fun especially when all the drivers are in the same skill level.

After this latest incident, expect patrols up for the next 30-60 days at the dragon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The meet on Memorial weekend will have the cars split up into smaller groups based on experience and mods, with a specific grouping for first timers. Each group will be led by someone who is familiar with the road. There will be a safety meeting with police, fire, and ems before the run. They have everything pretty well planned out, and its a great chance to meet with a bunch of other owners.

·
Registered
154 Posts
By the photos by US129 and Killboy it appears you had a good turn out for the Dragon. A lot of good looking Velosters, Turbo and Nav

·
Registered
143 Posts
By the photos by US129 and Killboy it appears you had a good turn out for the Dragon. A lot of good looking Velosters, Turbo and Nav
Yup, it was pretty fun and I think all the fast driving awards were handed out before the meet officially started.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've done the ToD twice now but not with my VT yet. Once I get my mods to where I want them, then I'd be interested to doing another run.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've done the ToD twice now but not with my VT yet. Once I get my mods to where I want them, then I'd be interested to doing another run.
The plans for next year are already in the works.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My Rally handled it great stock. I imagine a good torsion bar and tires would make it even better.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Going to hit the dragons tail this Saturday, I k ow it's short notice .But if any one wants to meet up let me know. I need to get my dragon decals and pics of my new R Spec done.Im finaly 90% done with my mods.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts