Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can people post tips on how to make the most out of driving MT? It could be MPG, safety or performance related, just tips beyond the basics. It would really help the novice drivers here, like me. An explanation of some driving terms would be great too.
Here's a few of what I wanna know...
1. what is "heel-toe" and when do drivers do this?
2. when do you shift/accelerate during turns?
3. is it ok to "skip" gears, say like go from 4th to 6th, if rpm/speed is fine?

·
Registered
459 Posts
The heel-toe technique is primarily used in racing, not something many people do while driving on the road. And I always try to shift into the gear i need right before the turn. and yes i skip gears sometimes too, it actually saves gas of done properly.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Down shifting is done before entering the corner. Throttle is reapplied accordingly at about the apex of the corner. BUT over-steer and under-steer can change the amount of throttle drastically.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm on day 3 with my VT, and finding the shifting indicator really wants me to change quickly... like around 2200 RPMs. My natural inclination is to go close to 2800-3000. But my last manual was a truck, so maybe this is the way you are supposed to do it. Just wondering if others had a similar experience.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I have been watching the shift indicator and it appears that it ties to the eco coach suggesting mpg focused shift points. In the end, drive in a manner that works for you. When you want fun, shift at a higher rpm. When you want better mpg, shift lower, like the shift indicator shows. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Shifting indicator appears to be going for maximum fuel economy. Mine tells me to go into 6th at 70 Kmph (43.496mph).
I wish it would indicate for maximum performance. Perhaps there is a way to change this?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The Shifting indicator appears to be going for maximum fuel economy. Mine tells me to go into 6th at 70 Kmph (43.496mph).
I wish it would indicate for maximum performance. Perhaps there is a way to change this?
Shift around 6000-6500 rpm for maximum performance.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
On my Corolla (5sp, 132hp..not a performance car by any means), I always shifted around 3000, too. 6400 redline. Doing that, still got decent mileage. Shifting lower than 2500, I found to be lacking power. Then again, this has 70more HP than what I had...

·
2,385 Posts
When does the turbo kick in? Is it related to speed or rpm? (not a car guy...)
It needs to spool up with the RPM's, thus, higher rpms = quicker spooling = going faster. Unless you're just sitting there revving the engine in neutral ;).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts