Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped by PRL Motorsports today and got my car dynoed to see what she did stock. Going to work with them on some possible R&D for some new products for our cars.

Well here it is ....

[video=facebook;593821606321]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=593821606321&set=vb.170971136265433&type=3[/video]

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
if it held boost and had a better afr the car would be way underrated .. I mean as it is theres only like 8% drive train loss on the MT dynos I've seen, so that means power wise the car is definitely slightly underated

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is on 93 4th gear pull. I agree it deff needs to be leaned out on the top end. It would prob make 10-15 more wheel on the top end. These guys are gonna be designing
Downpipe, Intake, and intercoolers for these cars.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Truthfully, all you need is a good a/f controller not even a mapped ecu is needed. Bigger injectors and fp isn't going to help squat but make the engine run more rich.
not to mention bigger injectors and larger fuel pump will probably run around 2k since it's Di.. MAYBE some cobalt ss injectors will work, but who knows when I can start logging my car we'll find out what the injector duty cycles are. frankly though it's harder for Di to supply fuel down low/ mid usually since as USUALLY there is an rpm dependent fuel pump. however I have no idea with the VT how it's setup

·
Registered
980 Posts
Im going to venture to guess with an A/F correction alone youll see big gains with a little more timing. I will also guess the fuel system will be able to handle a decent bit more power but id have to guess untill i look at the specs. Elecblue is right though if we need injectors and a pump its going to be very expensive unless we are able to use injectors already on the market.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Truthfully, all you need is a good a/f controller not even a mapped ecu is needed. Bigger injectors and fp isn't going to help squat but make the engine run more rich.
Well actually yes it will help and also will benefit when you raise the boost since you will need more fuel to adapt the raised boost. When you raise the boost with the stock injectors and fuel pump it will lean out the car even more.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Well actually yes it will help and also will benefit when you raise the boost since you will need more fuel to adapt the raised boost. When you raise the boost with the stock injectors and fuel pump it will lean out the car even more.
I was talking about a stock setup. I can see upgrading the injectors if the stock turbo were able to max out the stock injectors which I highly doubt. If you look at the dyno graph very carefully, you can see that even on stock fuel setup and stock 18 psi of boost that at 4500 rpms and up; it's all VERY rich from there. So why even worry about fuel injectors and fuel pump?

Yes, bigger injectors & fuel pump will help big time when the turbo has been upgraded, BUT I see no need for a bone stock car. Even with basic bolt-ons and a few more lbs of boost than stock I see no need to upgrade to bigger injectors and fuel pump. Going off this dyno graph, an a/f controller will give any VT more bang for the buck than any of the mods available right now.

·
Registered
193 Posts
...and???

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Direct fuel injection is different (no surprises there). With port injection it's possible to inject into the port before the valve opens so there isn't a restriction of fuel quantity that can be delivered. With direct fuel injection it's only possible to inject for an extremely limited time so the absolute quantity of fuel that can be delivered is restricted. If injected early the fuel will go straight out the exhaust port.

As regards the air-fuel ratio I suspect that Hyundai have richened the engine at high revs and high loads for cooling purposes, which is a benefit of direct fuel injection. This technique has been used in high-performance competition turbocharged racing cars for decades and I well remember watching turbocharged Formula One cars at the Australian Grand Prix trailing great clouds of black smoke from their exhaust under acceleration, all in the name of 700hp from 1.5 litres (and 1,000hp when qualifying). In those days Formula One cars were limited to 195 litres for a 320km race.

It would be funny (not) to lean the air-fuel ratio of a Veloster and burn the valves or pistons.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think that a water/met injection kit would be a better choice for cooling purpose and performance than an awfully rich a/f ratio

·
Registered
119 Posts
The specs on the car are 201 Hp and 195 torque... Both at the crank. How can you have so much more torque at the wheels.. Torque should be like 160-170 at the wheels

·
Registered
963 Posts
The specs on the car are 201 Hp and 195 torque... Both at the crank. How can you have so much more torque at the wheels.. Torque should be like 160-170 at the wheels
Why are arguing about this? This should make you happy "if you actually own a VT" plus this is a common dyno specs for many Veloster Turbo that had their dyno. So if you add 15% of what the dyno number are reading this will give you the real crank HP and torque numbers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
there is a mechanical High pressure fuel pump that runs off of the cam. There is also an electric fuel pump in the tank.

good luck with getting injectors...especially this early in the game.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts