Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 VT started making "whirring" sound and began struggling to move (at 70k miles). Had it towed to dealership and was told turbo was blown and oil was sludgy and had metal particles in it. Would have to replace the engine and turbo ($7200). Was told warranty would not cover it because I couldn't find the receipt for EVERY oil change ever done, and they don't believe it was maintained properly. (Changed it myself a few times & didn't think to keep receipts). After having them replace the engine & turbo, same thing happened before I even got the car home. Had it towed back to dealership. Now they tell me two bolts on the compressor snapped and they need to replace the drive belt (although the symptoms are EXACTLY THE SAME as the first time I had it towed in).
I know absolutely NOTHING about auto mechanics. Has anyone had any similar problems? Does this all sound legitimate??

·
Registered
935 Posts
Not legit at all but that seems to be Hyundai's way. They cannot make you service your car with them. You are free to service it where ever you choose and even change the oil yourself.

Unfortunately Hyundai has more money than you and by the time you tried to fight it you'd be out money, time, and wheels for however long the court BS took anyway. A simple UOA would tell if the oil is the culprit

·
Registered
702 Posts
Sludge in the engine or turbo , what were your oil change intervals, remember this is a turbo oil change should be at 3,000 at most .not 7,000 not even aspirated.

·
Registered
168 Posts
That is scary. I just did my first oil change. I have the receipt for the oil but not the filter. I guess in their eyes I have "blown" my chances of getting warranty coverage... I hope this works out for you rich22701.

·
Registered
702 Posts
No dealer can obligate you to change oil with them ,if they came up with that its because of the sludge. From what i see they have a good excuse not to give waranty ,but keep on them see if hyundai grants it and gives a worning on oil change intervals.

·
Registered
484 Posts
this is BS...isn't it common to see cars nowadays to go 10,000k without oil change? I change mine every 5000-6000 synthetic just to be safe, but that is BS!! Hyundai is always advertising "best warranty in america" but its only best in these ridiculous conditions...and they always try to find a way to NOT help their customers...

·
Registered
164 Posts
this is BS...isn't it common to see cars nowadays to go 10,000k without oil change? I change mine every 5000-6000 synthetic just to be safe, but that is BS!! Hyundai is always advertising "best warranty in america" but its only best in these ridiculous conditions...and they always try to find a way to NOT help their customers...
Our owners manuals say to change every 3k w/ full synthetic.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Derp De Derp De Derp

Mine says first change at 3k 5k each subsequent, thats assuming a Semi-Syn oil. Any off the shelf oil can stretch an OCI out quite a bit. Step up to a Botique Synthetic Amsoil, Eneos, etc.. and you can stretch it out farther still. All in the UOA, this will tell you without doubt or guessing games how long you can run X oil in your motor

·
Registered
935 Posts
Also it does not mention anything regarding use of synthetic oil only

·
Registered
2,375 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
My manual says 5k for normal driving and 3k for sevre. Doesn't say it has to be synthetic, and my dealer uses a blend (I bring my own synthetic in).

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
It stinks that it is not covered,...but there is a learning moment for others in this. Doing your own oil changes is fine,...BUT, directly involve your dealer. How you ask without going to them for the actual change?

Buy your OEM filter from them at every oil change,..buy your PCV valves from them. The prices are NOT bad, the accountability is priceless. It would'nt really matter what oil you used, if you changed it every 3-5K, your datbase would be loaded with 70K of oil filters and 2 or 3 PCV valves,..they WOULD have re-placed the motor/turbo. (The oil would NOT have been GUNKY). That is temp oxidation on its face.

·
Registered
134 Posts
@Gaijiin under what circumstances are we supposed to change out the PCV? I already go to hyundai for my filters every oil change. But why/how often are we supposed to change the PCV?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Like i said driving habits play a great deal on oil and engine parts ,stop and go or high rev driving should be 3,000 k .i got a friend who took a seminar on conventional and synthetics oils outcome ,still change oil at the same intervals .for my understanding in those 3,000 miles it just protects better thats just about it

·
Super Moderator
3,074 Posts
It stinks that it is not covered,...but there is a learning moment for others in this. Doing your own oil changes is fine,...BUT, directly involve your dealer. How you ask without going to them for the actual change?

Buy your OEM filter from them at every oil change,..buy your PCV valves from them. The prices are NOT bad, the accountability is priceless. It would'nt really matter what oil you used, if you changed it every 3-5K, your datbase would be loaded with 70K of oil filters and 2 or 3 PCV valves,..they WOULD have re-placed the motor/turbo. (The oil would NOT have been GUNKY). That is temp oxidation on its face.
you can enter the information for maintenance on the myhundai site pertaining to your VIN. that info is linked to the dealers as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
3,000???

Sludge in the engine or turbo , what were your oil change intervals, remember this is a turbo oil change should be at 3,000 at most .not 7,000 not even aspirated.
Wow, I had no idea! I've been having oil changed at 5k. That's what is recommended on the MyHyundai.com website. I'll be doing it at every 3k now. But this is DEFINITELY the last Hyundai I'll ever buy.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts