Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those who want to clean up some oem ground points for a little added performance and security I took pics of 10 in/around the engine bay. Did this as I cleaned all of mine up the other night to the extreme. Back of bolt heads, mating surface on car, threads on both bolts and car, and connector ends themselves to the point everything was cleaner than a babys azz, as gaijiin/superstocker would put it!. Took me 2 hours start to finish using a dremmel tool, ratchet, extension, with 10mm and 12mm sockets, but half that if you just do back of bolt heads and mating surface on car.
Thanks to -x- for pointing this mod out to me months ago. Glad that I finally got around to it.
on with the pics from passenger side to drivers side (us spec).
1.) Below coolant reservoir
20151025_005356.jpg

2.) Top of passenger side tower
20151025_005413.jpg

3.) ^ leads to oem lower intake/"j-pipe"
20151025_005432.jpg

4.) Top of transmission
20151025_005511.jpg

5.) ^ leads to frame
20151025_005528.jpg

6.) 2 beside ecu on side of drivers side tower
20151025_005658.jpg

7.) Top of drivers side tower
20151025_005707.jpg

8.) 2 on outside of frame under oem intake silencer box drivers side
20151025_005729.jpg

·
Registered
393 Posts
So far I only added 1 cable (more to go) from the battery to the frame and sanded all ground points and my car ran so much smoother. Time to see if I have those ground points in the fender wells as I just saw the one behind the ecu today after taking the ecu out to ship out. Amazing what better grounds do for our car

·
Registered
232 Posts
I sanded mine down a couple months ago but now I finally found the box of unused 1/0AWG wire from my previous car audio build so I'll be making some new cables for some of the ground points. Mainly the Battery Big 3 wires (battery (-) to Chassis, Battery (+) to alternator and Engine block to chassis)

Reactions: forte5

·
Registered
232 Posts
I did a quick search and came up with this NRG Innovations Grounding System UNIVERSAL any input on this kit? Doesn't seem to bad for $38 shipped.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
I'm using this companies stuff. I had it in my last car and I love working with it, not to mention you can get 8ga wire for $0.50 a foot.
SHCA Products - Power/Ground Wire - Sky High Car Audio

$21 gets you 20ft of 8ga and ring terminals shipped. They do free shipping for the continental states and it normally gets to your door in 2-3 days.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Would sanding the grounding points open up the potential for rust in the more humid climates? I would be skeptical of opening up more exposed metal than necessary.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Exactly why you coat the exposed metal with a conductive grease. See link below.
Would that cerma lithium grease work?

Sorta answered my own question after thinking abou it for a sec.
There are others out there with silicone or carbon that work, think I just realized that lithium grease is more for high temp applications.

·
Registered
343 Posts
So after 6 months I finally got around to doing most of this project. I did not get a chance to get the last two points cleaned up but from the first eight I did it seems to have smoothed out the idle a little more. There is still some extra vibration when I turn the AC on while idling but I didn't really expect that to completely disappear.

Does anyone have any additional tips on how to measure the effectiveness of this project?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I'm going to try this. Whether it helps or not it's still a good thing to do.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
If you are OCD you could undo all the grounds and attach one at a time and measure the resistance at the cable lug going to the bolt to the negative point on the battery cable. Verify if one is not upto spec or anything. It shouldn't require much grounding though besides cranking to make that big of a difference.

·
Registered
343 Posts
After reading those linked posts a couple times I am wondering where you were probing for your resistance measurements? When I measure mine to compare I want to be sure to minimize the number of variables between your test and mine.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Ah, this brings back memories. When I was on the Accent forums, there were regular discussions about the "Big 3" upgrade. (Alternator, Chassis Ground, and Engine ground wires). Conclusions about benefits of heavier wire was always a bit of a toss-up, but there's no question that correcting dirty grounds can cure all sorts of gremlins.

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
J pipe connection from pic 2.....

1 - 20 of 51 Posts