Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i’ve been reading mixed things, can the NA 1.6 engine work with the stock turbo?

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,086 Posts
No

·
Registered
66 Posts
Arguably the biggest reason for this is compression ratios. The turbocharged 1.6T has a lower compression ratio to account for the fact that the cylinder will already be pressurized by the turbocharger, which is then compressed even further by the piston as it travels upwards. Simply slapping a turbo onto an otherwise stock NA 1.6 would introduce far higher cylinder pressures than the engine was ever meant to handle. You'd have to upgrade so many of the internal components to handle the stock compression ratio that it's simply not worthwhile to do so.

There are other reasons that it won't work, of course. But if, for some reason, you were dead set on turbocharging a NA engine, just know it'll be cheaper to buy a 1.6T outright than to modify yours to work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Arguably the biggest reason for this is compression ratios. The turbocharged 1.6T has a lower compression ratio to account for the fact that the cylinder will already be pressurized by the turbocharger, which is then compressed even further by the piston as it travels upwards. Simply slapping a turbo onto an otherwise stock NA 1.6 would introduce far higher cylinder pressures than the engine was ever meant to handle. You'd have to upgrade so many of the internal components to handle the stock compression ratio that it's simply not worthwhile to do so.

There are other reasons that it won't work, of course. But if, for some reason, you were dead set on turbocharging a NA engine, just know it'll be cheaper to buy a 1.6T outright than to modify yours to work.
thanks for the insight! i was just curious because of the price difference

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,086 Posts
Many differences as to why it will not work well at all not mentioned so I just keep it short by saying no.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so now what about the ‘16 rspec engine? i purchased one last night but the parts store said it wouldn’t work. i got told the ‘16 vt would work on a diff post but what about the rspec?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Are you asking if the 16 Rspec can be turbocharged, or if you can swap it into your vehicle?

The Rspec should already be turbocharged.

You will need more than just the actual engine to swap it into a NA. You'll also need the wiring harness, ECU, an intake and intercooler just to name a few.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
580 Posts
so now what about the ‘16 rspec engine? i purchased one last night but the parts store said it wouldn’t work. i got told the ‘16 vt would work on a diff post but what about the rspec?
It will work but there's more to it than just dropping the engine into the bay.
Custom axles are needed, ecu from a turbo motor, and the transaxle as well.

Are you asking if the 16 Rspec can be turbocharged, or if you can swap it into your vehicle?

The Rspec should already be turbocharged.

You will need more than just the actual engine to swap it into a NA. You'll also need the wiring harness, ECU, an intake and intercooler just to name a few.
This also. Unless you have the mechanical skills, electrical skills, and an endless wallet it can be done and work perfectly.
Ask me how I know although the wallet has some emptiness every now and then. 😂😁.

1st gen Veloster turbo prices are down for good used cars. That would be your best bet and still be happy with it.
Good luck. 👍

1 - 8 of 8 Posts