Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already posted this over at veloster.org but thought it would be useful to share here as well.

Left work last Thursday, drove 4 miles and the engine heat rose all the way up. I pulled over and popped the hood. Engine coolant was gushing out from under the reservoir. I'm assuming something went wrong with a hose or belt that caused this to happen.

I have been babying the car being sure to follow the break-in procedure and then this happens. By the time it was towed to the dealership, they were closed so I'll post back tomorrow with an update.

Didn't think I would have the opportunity to use the Bluelink features so soon but I do have to say I was not impressed. First, it rang about 4 times before an automated system picked up. When roadside assistance was requested (after navigating the clumsy voice controls), it took over 2 minutes being on hold before I reached a human to speak to. I was then asked where I was located (seems like a silly question since they advertise using the GPS in the car to send roadside assistance).

8:26am - Called Superior Hyundai North (Cincinnati, OH) and they had no information regarding my vehicle
2:00pm - Called dealership again an no answer for over 15 minutes of ringing
2:17pm - Service finally answers the phone and tells me that their mechanics don't have any information on the vehicle since it is so new. They are on the phone with Hyundai USA talking about the problem but don't have any answers at the moment. I told them I was unhappy and will be there in person at 4:40pm to hear an update and will require a loaner vehicle in the meantime.

The next day:
2:00pm - Called the dealership to tell them I would need a loaner vehicle if they didn't finish by 4:30pm that day.
4:30pm - After arriving at the dealership I was told they were still looking in to the problem but it was a "module." I asked what module he was referring to and he said it "cooled the engine." The guy obviously didn't know what he was talking about. I asked if they had a loaner vehicle ready for me in the meantime and they said sure it would be just a few minutes and I should wait in the customer lounge.

45 minutes later someone comes over and tells me that enterprise is on its way to get a rental car.

So now, 4 of the first 9 days I have owned my VT I have been driving a Toyota Camry.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just heard back from the dealership service department.

They said it is a module in the fan assembly. They can't order just that module so they are putting in an emergency order for a entire new fan assembly for my vehicle.

Does anyone know how significant of a repair this is?

Thanks

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
bummer to hear about this..

an entire new fan assembly should not take long to to at all. It is as simple as removing one fan assembly (probably 30 minute job) and bolting the new one in and connecting it to the harness.

I assume it is a warranty repair. (sure hope so)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bummer to hear about this..

an entire new fan assembly should not take long to to at all. It is as simple as removing one fan assembly (probably 30 minute job) and bolting the new one in and connecting it to the harness.

I assume it is a warranty repair. (sure hope so)
Yes it is under warranty. I am very nervous at this point and wanted to know how much the repair would hurt the car or its value over its lifetime.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I just heard back from the dealership service department.

They said it is a module in the fan assembly. They can't order just that module so they are putting in an emergency order for a entire new fan assembly for my vehicle.

Does anyone know how significant of a repair this is?

Thanks
What Is a Coolant Fan Control Module? | eHow.com
Engine Overheating Due to Failed Cooling Fan Control Module : Mazda 6 Common Engine Problems

Hope this fills you in a bit
Good luck :( I hope this doesn't happen to my VT

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
if it is in fact just an issue with the module (telling the fan to kick on) after replacing it will NOT hurt the value of the car OR the cars performance at all. Since you took it in right away without having it overheat a bunch of times, nothing else will have been harmed.

There aren't many other things that I think it could be causing the overheating. A thermostat or water pump possibly bu all easy fixes.. Something obviously pointed them to the fan module so that should be it. My guess is the fan was not turning on AT ALL when the car was stopped, which meant there was no airflow and the temp would keep rising.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'd recommending them showing you the compression numbers for each cylinder and perhaps a leakdown test to kill any skepticism or eery feelings you may have before driving it off the lot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd recommending them showing you the compression numbers for each cylinder and perhaps a leakdown test to kill any skepticism or eery feelings you may have before driving it off the lot.
The only problem with that would be I don't know what I'd be looking for on either of those numbers.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'm not sure what the stock compression numbers for our engine is, but you want to make sure the compression numbers are within 10 or 20% of each other. I forget exactly which one. So basically you don't want to see 160 160 160 120(psi). I'm sure the mechanics should have an FSM(factory service manual) available to show you what the actual engine compression numbers should be at for comparison. As for leakdown, the less % you see, the better. Typical leakdowns I've seen on good engines are around 10% plus or minus a few percent since not all engines are made equally/same.

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Compression pressure
Standard : 1225.83kPa (12.5kg/cm², 177.79psi) (200~250 rpm)
Minimum : 1078.73kPa (11.0kg/cm², 156.46psi)
Difference between each cylinder :
98kPa (1.0kg/cm², 14psi) or less

from HMA.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Compression pressure
Standard : 1225.83kPa (12.5kg/cm², 177.79psi) (200~250 rpm)
Minimum : 1078.73kPa (11.0kg/cm², 156.46psi)
Difference between each cylinder :
98kPa (1.0kg/cm², 14psi) or less

from HMA.
Awesome! Thanks those numbers should help come Wednesday.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Let us know what kind of funny faces they make when you mention you want to have the engine tested to see if it was damaged. I am sure they will give you the run around.
Awesome! Thanks those numbers should help come Wednesday.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After emailing Mr. Krafcik, Hyundai corporate just called me to apologize for what has happened so far. They said they are on it and will give me an update tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Can you post the email address of Mr. Krafcik? My VT is also out of commission for a faulty brake caliper, a week after i bought it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Seems like we're SOL if your VT needs parts for repair, seems they have to be shipped from Korea, which may take up to a week to arrive... :(

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I have a couple questions for anyone that has this car already, does everyone else hear a faint chatter coming from the engine area? You cant pick it up in the car itself but it sounds like all Subaru sound-- a little clicky..
AND with out buying a turbo timer what is a good rule of thumb for "cooling" down the car before shutting it off to allow the turbo time to cool down? I notice that this engine pumps out a lot of heat, you guys experiencing the same. the gauge is reading good temp tho.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts