Veloster Turbo Forum banner

Excessive oil consumption

16K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  ahmadghazalah1983 
#1 ·
I road trip a ton in my VT. More than half of my 90,000 miles is from long highway drives at constant speeds for hours at a time. This past weekend I encountered something that I haven't before with my VT.

I stopped for gas after about 4 hours of driving and checked the oil. Luckily I did because I was nearly 3 quarts low. A quick investigation and I couldn't find any evidence of any leaking. I was just under the car a month ago and everything looked good. Engine temps were good, car was running fine, everything was smooth, no issues. So to be that low on oil seems really strange. That seems like I've got some serious issues if I'm burning that much oil. Unfortunately I don't know if it was just over the course of this trip, or longer since I haven't checked it since changing it a month ago.

#3 · (Edited)
Always done dealer oil changes, because it's cheaper, faster, and an easy paper trail for warranty issues. To my knowledge they use Quaker State 5w-30 Synthetic. This last change I did myself, because I had the car up for a bunch of work and figured why not. Used the same quaker state 5w-30 synthetic the dealer uses, and Bosch filter to be as close to factory spec as possible. Overfilled at first, drained extra. Made sure it was right at the full line before the car hit the road again. Clocked 2,000 miles since that oil change on this trip.

No Catch cans. Breather is vented to a filter though. I have the old style TS intake (Waiting on my 3.5' from SoCal) which didn't have a breather port.

#4 ·
First mistake was not using an OEM filter. Please get one on the vehicle. There are TSB's out there stating they need to be used. They are very cheap from the dealer, around $7

#6 ·
3" Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, tork pipe, cold pipe with HKS BOV, XPVS, updated the manifold boost sensor, no tune. Recently changed plugs with NGK's and replaced coils with OEM Hyundai coils. Breather filter could use a change, and no visible leaks that I could see.

#7 ·
FWIW if the dealer charges under $40 for the oil change, it's not synthetic.

#10 ·
i cannot speak from his experience but if you factor in the oil change + materials, fluid top-off, vacuum and wash that my dealer does, it's cheaper (by my hourly wage) than if i took the time to do it myself. but i also do conventional oil, quaker state.

Reactions: Boots Ylectric
#9 ·
$44 for a synthetic oil change at the dealer.

#11 ·
That is a super cheap full synthetic oil change. Are you sure its full and not a synthetic blend? How often do you go for long road trips? How many mile son the VT and what year and trans? Possible your burning it.

#13 ·
That's a good question. I was under the impression it was fully synthetic quaker state. I was going to start doing them myself soon, because my warranty is about up anyway, and hearing a lot of people swear that these cars need better oil in these cars than what the dealers use. I'm at just about 90,000 miles on a '13 manual. Road trips are a usually a monthly sometimes more frequency. Car has always been great for them.

#12 ·
I’d agree, synth at my dealer is $78. Just a hair less than getting the synth at VW for our Jetta lol

#19 ·
any leaks? coolant reservoir a funny color?

do the plugs have oil on them?

#21 ·
Hi guys I have a 2012 veloster the 1.6 GDI 6 speed basic engine and Iam suffering from excessive oil consumption, it went from full to almost empty in 2500 miles the car has 89500 on it, no oil leak no smoke of any color no miss fire drives smooth, the mechanic said that the engine is dying and must be replace and to check with Hyundai for a recall, I dont believe what he is saying. Any help that can save me money please?

#22 ·
You need to see if under hyundai recall for sure.

By almost empty after 2500 miles do you mean actually almost empty or almost not showing on the dipstick?

What oil, filter, and change intervals have you been using?

#24 ·
Mobil 1 or 5W30 is not what you want to be using. 0W40, 5W40, or 10W40 for some cars in a full synthetic but not M1. If getting easy to find on shelf look for pennzoil or Castrol or quaker state full synthetic in those weights and preferred the lower two. Oem filter only.

Look into hyundai for a recall or TSB on your car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.