Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is not a "help me, there is black stuff on my exhaust tip" , but just being curious about it. Having the stock exhaust, no mods beside fuel line upgrd/spark plug/TB bypass/venting to the Atm-, but even without any mods and completely stock, it was doing it.
is it normal, that these car produce so much black stain/soot/smoke that discolors the exhaust tip within a month? I cleaned it just a month ago, and driving the car as a daily driver, the exhaust tip is nearly completely black.
I'm trying to figure out, that this is how these cars are or is this maybe some sort of warning sign or should be checking something what's up?
It's not like the car is puffing black smoke, there isn't anything visible smoke while idling, beside a cold start, but that's normal.
I mean, I had several car already and they all produce the same, but it usually took like a year or more to completely blacken the chrome tips, on this car, it's a month.

·
Super Moderator
3,709 Posts
because GDi

i fixed the problem by not bothering to clean the tips. i hate chrome.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
You get a month before you consider them sooty? I reach that point in a matter of days (or with one good full-throttle romp, really). Granted, removing the second cat/resonator probably doesn't do me any favors in this regard.

I find it hard to stay more motivated than blasting them with water at the car wash once in a while. Actually polishing them seems like a true exercise in futility.

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,231 Posts
Due to being a direct injection engine and tune that causes it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I just Plasti Dip mine flat black, so problem solved.:crazy:

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,231 Posts
If you like the look of the rear of the car and the tips then I suggest dumping exhaust under car and all will stay clean much longer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok, this is not a "help me, there is black stuff on my exhaust tip" , but just being curious about it. Having the stock exhaust, no mods beside fuel line upgrd/spark plug/TB bypass/venting to the Atm-, but even without any mods and completely stock, it was doing it.
is it normal, that these car produce so much black stain/soot/smoke that discolors the exhaust tip within a month? I cleaned it just a month ago, and driving the car as a daily driver, the exhaust tip is nearly completely black.
I'm trying to figure out, that this is how these cars are or is this maybe some sort of warning sign or should be checking something what's up?
It's not like the car is puffing black smoke, there isn't anything visible smoke while idling, beside a cold start, but that's normal.
I mean, I had several car already and they all produce the same, but it usually took like a year or more to completely blacken the chrome tips, on this car, it's a month.
.. i know this is an older post, but I found it interesting. I've had my 15 VT, well, five years now. Always had to clean the exhaust tips basically weekly. THAT IS until my last oil change 2K miles ago. Used Amazon Basics European Formula Full Synthetic 5a w-40. Now, I just clean the tips when I wash the car. Maybe monthly as I live in AZ. The tips DON'T get sooty. Personally I think it is wierd and I'm surprised, but I'm okay with it!!

·
Super Moderator
3,709 Posts
Reactions: misnblu
1 - 9 of 9 Posts