Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really wish Korea would take a trip over to Japan and maybe learn something about tuning a car...This car is decently quick for what it is but I feel like there is so much left to gain. I've never experienced my car pull the same under the same amount of throttle twice in a row. I get an unevenness in power when accelerating in 2nd and 3rd gear all the time unless under WOT. I don't know what kind of piss poor system they have implemented for boost control but whatever it is, it needs to be revised. I've never seen a car that doesn't have the same amount of boost in 1st gear that it does in 3rd, 4th, etc. Believe it or not there's other ways to control wheel spin. These cars need a serious ECU update and I hope I'm not the only one who thinks that. I know I'm going to get a "well this isn't a sports car" If it wasn't intended for that, it shouldn't have been marked with "turbo". Hyundai only should have kept the base veloster body and styling and added a turbo engine option and thrown a 1.6T badge on it like any other company. You think someone is gonna buy a 911 Turbo and expect a slight difference than a 911 Carrera. Nah. :wink:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have noticed the inconsistent power levels/throttle position thing also. Coming from two supercharged cars(one factory, one aftermarket) I just assumed the turbo was less consistent by nature. If it is a tuning issue than it is a real problem IMO. Hopefully we do see some sort of update.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
I really wish Korea would take a trip over to Japan and maybe learn something about tuning a car...This car is decently quick for what it is but I feel like there is so much left to gain. I've never experienced my car pull the same under the same amount of throttle twice in a row. I get an unevenness in power when accelerating in 2nd and 3rd gear all the time unless under WOT. I don't know what kind of piss poor system they have implemented for boost control but whatever it is, it needs to be revised. I've never seen a car that doesn't have the same amount of boost in 1st gear that it does in 3rd, 4th, etc. Believe it or not there's other ways to control wheel spin. These cars need a serious ECU update and I hope I'm not the only one who thinks that. I know I'm going to get a "well this isn't a sports car" If it wasn't intended for that, it shouldn't have been marked with "turbo". Hyundai only should have kept the base veloster body and styling and added a turbo engine option and thrown a 1.6T badge on it like any other company. You think someone is gonna buy a 911 Turbo and expect a slight difference than a 911 Carrera. Nah. :wink:
alot of other cars have gear specific boost. the unevenness is probably piss poor throttle mapping

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree, piss poor throttle mapping. It does also feel like it is limited in 1st and 2nd.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lessening the throttle response and initial acceleration can help with the fuel economy.
What can help with fuel economy is a tall 6th gear. There's no need to mess with throttle response for fuel economy. I could care less if the car got 5-10mpg getting to 35 mph or 65 mph but design the gear ratios so once at a cruising speed it gets good gas mileage and with that said I've never seen mine average over 32mpg with about 10% city and 90% highway driving. I still think this is good because my Gen coupe 3.8 averaged 23 on this same drive. But then again, there's a car with bad tuning as well.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I experience different accelerate every day I drive, Kinda like a torque surprise that randomly visits me when I push the pedal down in 2nd gear.. wish it was more power on demand .... i am sure a fix will be made in time.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've never gotten more than 26mpg out of a tank.

Probably because I rev it too high and the mix of city driving doesn't help.

I do agree the acceleration is inconsistent though. We need a tune!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I've never gotten more than 26mpg out of a tank.

Probably because I rev it too high and the mix of city driving doesn't help.

I do agree the acceleration is inconsistent though. We need a tune!
I got my survey from Hyundai today asking about my VT. I mentioned the inconsistent acceleration and the M/T's short legs. I hope everyone else that gets the survey does the same. Maybe they will listen.
It bugs me that 6th gear revs 2500 @ 65mph. I'd like to see it at 2k. My 07 GC w/ the 5.7 Hemi did the same and I was always hoping that it would shift one more time. That being said, I have gone through 4 tanks of gas, 3 w/87 and 1 w/91 and have been consistent at 35.5MPG. I am happy about that because I only lost 1.5-2MPG from my 2011 Elantra.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.