Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in all the FB pages and most of them are snobs and keyboard warriors that give no useful info on beginner performance mods. Not talking exhaust, intakes, or clutch mods cuz i have or am going to do those. I'm trying to find out how far I can go and what i need to make more power without a tune for now. Such as the throttle body upgrade, plugs and coils, etc and anything else I haven't come across yet. Different brands, price points etc, not saying brands or parts suck cuz you've heard a guy on FB say so I want someone who actually has built and modded their cars to just give opinions and suggestions. I have a 5 year plan to build it up, just want basic mods since I'm newish to this platform (just over a year owning) thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Tune

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You want to be sure all maintenance is good and using 91+ fuel in it for sure. You can look up recommended things on here and try to sort that out which may or may not be difficult for you to do. It will be time consuming but you'll learn about the car as well.

Then you can look into mods. Anything to help cooling or air to/from the engine and turbo will help the car be more efficient and make more power.

From there you'll need a tune and deciding that is a little tougher as there are many choices and none are created equal on power or safety for the car. Once you decide on a tune you'll need proper plugs if going for any significant power gains

Most of this can be done and done right if you get the right parts for your goals and nothing more. Buying used can also help on cost.

So, set goals, then proceed down this list. Plenty of info here to read on the forum but please do ask if you can't find your answers or simply for clarification.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had both the injen intake and magnaflow cat back on my 13 VT auto, but the best mod I had was the “torkme” pipe. Felt a significant gain and it smoothed out the power flow. Only like 25 bucks. Not sure if you can still buy them, but do a search on here.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
The resonator delete in the charge pipe will not add much power or flow. You can have one made for much less than what they sell for. 4.75" long 2" tube with beads on end. If upgrading the hot pipe then do so by getting Qwik Tyme Performance or a SXTH element engineering hot pipe. They show similar gains with the QTP slightly edging out the SXTH. But I've also tuned a car north of 250 whp with the OEM hot pipe on the car as well.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got a 2"x 5" exhaust pipe and installed it where the intercooler resonator was. I used the stock clamps and tightened them down with a 8mm rachet. so far it hasnt come undone. cant say if it helped with power. I think IMO it added more sound from the turbo spooling.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The resonator delete in the charge pipe will not add much power or flow. You can have one made for much less than what they sell for. 4.75" long 2" tube with beads on end. If upgrading the hot pipe then do so by getting Qwik Tyme Performance or a SXTH element engineering hot pipe. They show similar gains with the QTP slightly edging out the SXTH. But I've also tuned a car north of 250 whp with the OEM hot pipe on the car as well.....
Well that’s your opinion, but removing that resonator totally changed the character of my 13 VT. No more weird power wave and it had more pull. I’m sure there are other expensive mods that do more, but you can’t beat the cost/gain of this.

·
Super Moderator
3,077 Posts
His extremely educated opinion...

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Not an opinion at all. Just from dyno testing and flowing each part on bench to see flow differences.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Intake and exhaust mods really should be the first thing you look at when adding performance to any car. Spark plugs, coils, etc, are always going to be a negligible impact on a car if you aren't getting more air and fuel in there. I don't know much about the throttle body on these cars, but stock throttle bodies on cars typically significantly outflow the stock intake. If you haven't already started with the basics, a fresh set of plugs, fluid flush, and a switch to synthetic oil would be a good idea. KDMtuners is a good place to get OEM grade NGK plugs if you have trouble finding them locally. I have heard Amazon can be very hit or miss for plugs (I know you didn't want any "I have heard" advice, but I provided MY recommendation too. :) ). I am happy with the set I got from KDMtuners. I also did a custom setup with an open element air filter and run E15 (Unleaded 88) fuel and my '16VT runs like a scared rabbit.
Welcome to the forum. Don't assume everything you read here is valid. As with any car forum, there is plenty of superstition and modifications that have later been proven to accomplish nothing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts