Veloster Turbo Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
TyBardy - I have to assume you'll get your grill done before I get to mine. I've been thinking about bumper sag and zip-ties. The typical method to secure the mesh during gluing is to use zip-ties. However, ties will pull a grill frame slightly toward center and out of its original shape. I wonder if a dozen cheap spring clamps would be a better method to hold mesh to a grill to bond it. Also, I've wondered about cutting a metal rod spacer to fit the frame and hold it's shape during boding. The rod(s) could be tacked in place with superglue and removed with a tiny bit of acetone (which can eat plastic so you have to be careful). Let us know any creative solutions you have to hold the frame shape.

·
Registered
18 Posts
this looks great, although i would be scared these would be bringing in more salt and debris. For those with no winter and a true cold air intake it would make sense.

·
Registered
874 Posts
TyBardy - I have to assume you'll get your grill done before I get to mine. I've been thinking about bumper sag and zip-ties. The typical method to secure the mesh during gluing is to use zip-ties. However, ties will pull a grill frame slightly toward center and out of its original shape. I wonder if a dozen cheap spring clamps would be a better method to hold mesh to a grill to bond it. Also, I've wondered about cutting a metal rod spacer to fit the frame and hold it's shape during boding. The rod(s) could be tacked in place with superglue and removed with a tiny bit of acetone (which can eat plastic so you have to be careful). Let us know any creative solutions you have to hold the frame shape.
I am on the fence with the entire grill... I still want to modify the OEM grill to remove the brick as well as the blockouts in the middle cross section. If I don't find an OEM donner grill soon (before end of summer) I will likely get some mesh and match the fog vents and rear reflector vents that I am going to be making in the coming weeks. I don't think I trust the goop being used in the original video and I think I will be using JB weld instead. I will run a practice adhesion on the peice I cutout to make sure it's strong. As for spring clamps, I would think this would actually create a larger problem than zip-ties as there is no control over pressure. At least with the ZipTies we can pull them as tight or as loose as we need.

There are some decent "fixes" for bumper sag floating around the forum. I don't know where any of them are off the top of my head (at least as far as a decent write up goes) but you can see a photo of one on page 1,254 of "what did you do to your veloster today". Dragonbeard has a photo of his front end without the front facia on and you can see the L-Bracket's he has installed to help with sag. My issue with that is, I have yet to find anyone with exact and nearly exact diminsions on how to make that L-bracket.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts