·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,429 Posts
Check out FB groups as well.

·
Super Moderator
3,785 Posts
are those the ones that have the triangle cutout next to the fog lamp or do they cut out the whole thing?

·
Registered
300 Posts
What's the purpose of these vents?
That far to the side it seems to me like brake ducting or ducting fresher air to the intake would be the only purposes other than aesthetics (not dogging on aesthetics, I totally get that).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's the purpose of these vents?
That far to the side it seems to me like brake ducting or ducting fresher air to the intake would be the only purposes other than aesthetics (not dogging on aesthetics, I totally get that).
I believe they are also a gloss black instead of the flat black like stock. But yes for my reason is to bring fresh/cooler air for my CAI. Plus I’ve painted most flat black parts, to be glossy black. So it would be a two for one on my part.

·
Administrator
5,429 Posts
Just FYI the air temperature in the fender area now is not much above ambient at all. You will not see or feel the power gains from it. It also creates more drag than if left alone. It does help anesthetics of the car though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just FYI the air temperature in the fender area now is not much above ambient at all. You will not see or feel the power gains from it. It also creates more drag than if left alone. It does help anesthetics of the car though.
Appreciate the insight. Living in Cali and having days where it’s 100, you still think the vents wouldn’t bring in cooler air? Now I get it won’t bring in let’s say 70 degree air but after long drives and heat soak, I though the vents would help a little bit. Nothing crazy, but with it being so hot here, I thought it might help. Let me know what you think.
Being in a cooler environment, I know wouldn’t help at all but I’m curious about being in a hotter area makes a difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Appreciate the insight. Living in Cali and having days where it’s 100, you still think the vents wouldn’t bring in cooler air? Now I get it won’t bring in let’s say 70 degree air but after long drives and heat soak, I though the vents would help a little bit. Nothing crazy, but with it being so hot here, I thought it might help. Let me know what you think.
Being in a cooler environment, I know wouldn’t help at all but I’m curious about being in a hotter area makes a difference.
I’m curious as what The IAT would be with and without the mesh in the climate I live in. Might have to be my next little project if I can ever get them.

·
Administrator
5,429 Posts
The ambient temperature does not matter as doing this will be a variance from that ambient temperature which is very little. I've tested all of this with a 4 channel temperature datalogger while datalogging the 2 temperature sensors and more on the car.

If you want colder air the best thing for that is a good water/meth injection kit setup properly on the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The ambient temperature does not matter as doing this will be a variance from that ambient temperature which is very little. I've tested all of this with a 4 channel temperature datalogger while datalogging the 2 temperature sensors and more on the car.

If you want colder air the best thing for that is a good water/meth injection kit setup properly on the car.
people on this forum said you know your stuff with Velosters and they weren’t wrong lol.. appreciate it. Since you’ve tested that, I’m wondering. Have you testing a CAI with a reflective heat wrap on it vs no wrap. I’m not a fan of the look so I’ve never looked into it but I’m just curious if it actually helps.

·
Administrator
5,429 Posts
Yes tested it before at many points in the system. The results were very minimal better at lower air speeds/volumes and less with more air speeds/volumes. This was before the turbo. After the turbo and the intercooler there was not enough difference to determine outside of normal variances.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes tested it before at many points in the system. The results were very minimal better at lower air speeds/volumes and less with more air speeds/volumes. This was before the turbo. After the turbo and the intercooler there was not enough difference to determine outside of normal variances.
Awesome. Appreciate you taking the time to explain and help out.

·
Registered
874 Posts
If you have a dremmel and a little know-how, you can easily make your own. I made my own front and rear mesh cutouts... As for the question about what they are good for... almost nothing but looks. However, the driver side will help direct air in the direction of your air filter which will help it NOT suck up too much hot air from the engine bay. I personally have my Meth pump mounted behind the cutout on the passenger side which should help with cooling (when it isn't 110 degrees outside).

Anyway, they took me a saturday afternoon to make and look tits.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts