Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have mentioned it in other threads but I would like to make one here because... well.. it is for product reviews!!!

I believe I was the first VT owner to try out this BOV and others have followed in my innovative <lol footsteps.

First off, I have had two other turbo cars and a handful of different BOVs for them. This BOV is by FAR the nicest and highest quality looking piece, not to mention it's diaphragm-less design.

I have had HKS BOV's, HKS knockoffs, Greddy, Greddy knock-offs, spacer plates, etc.

For the price, I just don't think this thing can be beat. I don't think it can be beat in its simplistic and easy to service design either.

To replace springs in other BOVs, it will require one or two tools. For this BOV you can replace them without any tools or even removing the BOV itself. so simple and ingenious.

You can see here how easy it is to take it off and then a o-ring seals it back up when it is hand tight.

Assemlbed or dis-assembled it is a beautiful looking piece. It is a shame that it is hidden by the top part of the bumper due to the intercooler placement.

It functions flawlessly also (use the green spring on stock boost) Any let-off of the throttle and this thing opens up, just like it is supposed to.

I took a video (very bad focus, sorry [me suck at manual focus on the DSLR] ) so you guys can hear and SEE what it does while idle revving.

The red stuff in the BOV is just a lubricant for the piston to move freely.

Forge BOV-idle revving

I would give this product an easy 5 out of 5 stars all around. It is probably one of the cheapest aftermarket NAME BRAND BOV's you can buy and on top of that it bolts right to the VTs Intercooler without an adapter.

The only other BOV's that I would compare to the quality of this valve and how it actuates is the HKS and the Synapse, both of which are more expensive AND you need an adapter to make them work with the flange (or a blockoff plate and a hard pipe adapter) putting both of them significantly over the price of the Forge.

Not only that, the HKS and Synapse will most likely not fit in the stock location without cutting the bumper 'shroud/cover'

If you are looking to upgrade to a higher tensioned spring and a 'real' BOV in your VTurbo I see absolutely ZERO reason to look any further than the Forge Motorsports BOV.

You can order it from CIP or Uniq performance for the best pricing (that I know of)

I would order from CIP if you are in the USA and definitely Uniq if you are in the great white north (to avoid customs/duty fees)

CIP Forge Motorsports BOV Part #FMDVHGA

Uniq (for canada) Forge Motorsports BOV Part #FMDVHGA

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks for you recommendation Turbosocks, I ordered from CIP for $166 shipped a day ago and already received it in the mail today.. can't wait to install it...

·
2,385 Posts
Thanks for you recommendation Turbosocks, I ordered from CIP for $166 shipped a day ago and already received it in the mail today.. can't wait to install it...
$166 shipped? I just got a quote from the link for $166.50 PLUS UPS Ground $11.08.....

LOVE the air intake though, turbosocks. Did you do a diy write-up on that install and I just didn't see it?
I mean, I've got the day off, so a trip to the hardware store may be in my future, lol. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I installed mine today. Deadly deadly simple.

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
When I had this on my Genesis and I had it served at 3K to have synthetic dropped on her they didn't say anything to me at all.

On another note, is it just me or while I was watching the video did it sound like the BOV wasn't instantly releasing the air after the throttle was disengaged? Could just be the video and sound not syncing but if its not I think we may be having a problem with where its being mounted too. It's like its taking forever to get to the intercooler...

·
Registered
29 Posts
The way I understand it with a bOV there is a certain amount of air which is released after being measured by the sensor.
Meaning the car thinks there is more air than there is ready to go to the engine, and this would lead to a higher fuel to air ratio at certain points.

Please correct me if I am wrong anyone!

·
Registered
353 Posts
When I had this on my Genesis and I had it served at 3K to have synthetic dropped on her they didn't say anything to me at all.

On another note, is it just me or while I was watching the video did it sound like the BOV wasn't instantly releasing the air after the throttle was disengaged? Could just be the video and sound not syncing but if its not I think we may be having a problem with where its being mounted too. It's like its taking forever to get to the intercooler...
It's pretty instant when I'm driving. It could be what you're hearing there is on neutral revs that don't go that high, so perhaps it's not creating enough pressure.

As for removal, I have no plans to remove it during service times.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Nope, but I could make one in theory

·
Registered
170 Posts
i put my new BOV on today, so a coupe of things to note

1 . since the group buy seemed to be going nowhere fast , i emailed them and they had it to me the next day, i was shocked ;-)
2. the thing really is a thing of beauty
3. the bumper goes off easy easy easy
4. i did run into 2 slight problems doingthe instal, the hose was near impossable to get over the nipple or flange , i had to dremel off the flange part to get it on, and 1 of the 3 bolts holding in the original was maybe 2 mm's shorter than the other 2 , on the stock bov thats not an issue, but the new bov is thicker and it would not catch a thread, good thing i had a neigbour with the same size metric thread , and longer

all and all , an easy install

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
i put my new BOV on today, so a coupe of things to note

1 . since the group buy seemed to be going nowhere fast , i emailed them and they had it to me the next day, i was shocked ;-)
2. the thing really is a thing of beauty
3. the bumper goes off easy easy easy
4. i did run into 2 slight problems doingthe instal, the hose was near impossable to get over the nipple or flange , i had to dremel off the flange part to get it on, and 1 of the 3 bolts holding in the original was maybe 2 mm's shorter than the other 2 , on the stock bov thats not an issue, but the new bov is thicker and it would not catch a thread, good thing i had a neigbour with the same size metric thread , and longer

all and all , an easy install
Yeah I remember having a tough time with getting the hose onto the nipple. I used my plier to open the end of the hose a little tiny bit but making sure I didn't cut anything inside. Fun times...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yeah me too with that. I ended up doing what NoXiDe did. Stick a pair of needle nosed pliers inside, and open to stretch. Then I stuck a screw driver in to jam it wide open.

Honestly the hardest part for me was getting over the fear when snapping off the bumper. I think my heart rate probably skyrocketed.

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
I'm telling ya someone really should make a DIY on how to remove the bumper off a VT. If someone made a video, every VT owner would view it so at some point that's adsense easy bank.

·
Registered
353 Posts
There's a pretty detailed on on Veloster.org in the DIY section. I think it's the one for the KDM headlight install.
That's the one I followed

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm telling ya someone really should make a DIY on how to remove the bumper off a VT. If someone made a video, every VT owner would view it so at some point that's adsense easy bank.
yeah, id just use the DIY for the NA V bumper.. it is so simple a blind monkey with a crayon could probably manage.. :p

I have pics for a DIY but haven't had time to make one yet.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts