Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that I had posted this years ago but must have forgotten so doing so now.

So as some may or may not be aware of boost spikes are hard on the engine as well as the turbo and can cause damage. One cause for boost spikes is tune related but another can be due to the oem BPV/BOV being unable to release air quickly enough due to it's small size.

How small is the opening to the OEM BPV/BOV? Refer to the picture below.

21.5 mm

23 mm

Here is the other issue though!

These plastic inserts block flow quite a bit and needs to be removed for the best flow to lower boost spikes to help protect the engine and the turbo. Doing so will yield 1.3+ times the flow if you have the less restricted insert and 3.1+ times the flow if you have the more restricted insert.

Nice free mod to make the OEM BPV/BOV function at its best with lower boost spikes! Something I've been doing for many years now no issues! ;-)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Any idea what years or parts numbers have the more restrictive insert?

Does the insert just pop out?
Also, why is that insert even there?

·
Super Moderator
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Any idea what years or parts numbers have the more restrictive insert?

Does the insert just pop out?
Also, why is that insert even there?
No clue when this was changed and if I were to say when or why it would be an educated guess at best.

Yes it can be pulled out easily with small pliers, a paperclip, fork, etc. Whatever you can grab or pry it out with.

I suspect it's there to straighten the air. I can't see it having any other function. This is also an educated guess.

One thing for sure is that with more flow by removing the insert there will be lower boost spikes and better boost control since the ecu uses the BOV at times to help control boost. Essentially can have a car in the 240 whp area with the lower restriction insert removed and have the same amount of boost spikes as on the oem tune around 170-180 whp area to put things into perspective.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Makes me want to go pull mine right now...
You can pull the bpv without taking off the bumper cover right? Just 3 10mm bolts?

·
Super Moderator
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Makes me want to go pull mine right now...
You can pull the bpv without taking off the bumper cover right? Just 3 10mm bolts?
On a VT I can. On a forte the other week I was unable to. Had to remove the bumper and much more.

·
Super Moderator
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did this on a 14 Forte Koup SX today. Less boost spiking and his BPV/BOV looks like this.....

Same insert as a VT but little different port design which was oddly smiling at me!

·
Premium Member
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT w/ Tech Package
86 Posts
I assumed its primary function would be to keep debris/bugs from somehow getting in there. Probably very unlikely though since I would assume you would have to have a pretty screwed up air filter or some other intake component in pretty bad shape.

·
Super Moderator
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I assumed its primary function would be to keep debris/bugs from somehow getting in there. Probably very unlikely though since I would assume you would have to have a pretty screwed up air filter or some other intake component in pretty bad shape.
This would be the initial thought until you realize it's in a closed filtered area by the oem. This is why I believe the sole purpose is for air straightening or guiding into the BPV/BOV discharge port. Personally I'd rather have better boost management by having this piece removed. :)

Reactions: MrNicG

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
580 Posts
This would be the initial thought until you realize it's in a closed filtered area by the oem. This is why I believe the sole purpose is for air straightening or guiding into the BPV/BOV discharge port. Personally I'd rather have better boost management by having this piece removed. :)
It's kind of hard to straighten out the air with a 90 degree bend immediately after the opening and the fact the plate for straightening is completely square at the front of the incoming air. 😳🤔🧐😁🤷🏼‍♂️
Makes for perfect aerodynamic and laminar flow sense. 😂😝

Nice to know this and thanks for the heads up about this. 😍👍🤙

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Curious if I could 3D print something to make a cool whistle sound or something. haha

·
Super Moderator
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
3d print a whistle and put on the end lol! Or a kazoo!

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I had thought of making some different options to go on the outlet when I was using it as a BOV. Some sort of horn to amplify it would be pretty cool too.
I actually switched mine back to using it as recirc for now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am running the go faster bits with the stock adaptor plate, I run it mostly recirc but do let it put some to atmo to help reduce resistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts