Veloster Turbo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Have any of the vendors come up with a solution for this? I have money on hand ready to get rid of my sag.
I swapped out the stock brackets with some roughly fabricated (read roughly) replacements made from 1/8" aluminum. What I found is that the radiator support itself where they bolt on flexes too. There needs to be a true support structure built in order to remove the weight. What I did definitely helps but is not a solution. I did go to one of the vendors with pictures and a sketch to get something made. So we shall see.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. I had a feeling that might be the case. I'm planning on doing a custom grill to get rid of the brick over the summer. Maybe I'll fab something up then if nothing is available.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement for these white clips.

20150517_160916.jpg

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement for these white clips.

View attachment 52620
You could try looking online at parts supplies that have the breakout drawings. Should be able to find it. If not may have to go to the dealer to at least get part numbers.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
You know what I was able to find it by looking through a parts diagram online.

For all others its called:

GROMMET - SCREW
Part #1491AD or Stock Code:1491005000
32cents a peice.

Thanks for your help :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looking to fix my bumper gap after I did the custom grille.. anyone have an answer? Sorry about digging up this thread

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
No one has come up with a better solutions than making replacing the factory bumper brackets with either steal or aluminum.. Many have asked me to make these but as stated above after running these for 2+ years its the radiator support that is to weak and wants to collapse on its self. I did find that placing a large steel washer under the bracket does help with the rad support from collapsing.

Pierce motorsports did come up with a solution for their race VT but is completely custom and no way able to make it a kit. So for now this is all we have.. Basically everytime you remove your bumper you need to rebend the brackets/or pull out the rad support

·
Registered
132 Posts
I made brackets to replace the stock mounting locations also. I used 1/8" aluminum for the upper brackets and 1/4" for the bottom plate. I drilled holes in the bottom plate to allow for drainage and to make it a little lighter. I sprayed everything with Undercoat for weather protection.

My fabrication skills suck (mostly because I don't have the right tools) but I am sharing anyway to try and give anyone else an idea of how to fix the sag.

Mine started sagging after the very first time I took the bumper off and it bothered me for more than two years before I made these brackets last month. Now the bumper sits where it is supposed too and looks a lot better.

20160814_155321_resized_1.jpg

This is the bottom plate installed. Just used some basic nuts and bolts to attach it to the bumper. The rear is attached with the three bolts that held the plastic weather guard in place. This plate replaces that plastic piece nicely. Sprayed everything down with Undercoat to help protect it (got a little too much in some areas).

20160814_153106_resized_1.jpg

Upper brackets replacing the factory ones. Holes are off center on the brackets but line up when I put the bumper on. Sprayed Undercoat on these too. Used the factory plastic screw-pins to hold in place (for now).

20160814_152410_resized_1.jpg

Brackets and plate before install.

EDIT: Here are some pictures of the bumper installed. You can see how tight it fights up against the headlights now. Also, I forgot to mention that with that bottom plate the bumper doesn't move at all. It feels solid.

20160814_160723_resized.jpg

Driver's Side.

20160814_160715_resized.jpg

Passenger's Side.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Do you have and dimensions of the piece ManofDust used or measurements for hole placement/diameter?
When I did mine I just used the stock brackets as a template to bend and drill. Also you can buy aluminum stock bars from hardware stores that will be wide enough without having to do all the extra cutting from a sheet.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
When I did mine I just used the stock brackets as a template to bend and drill. Also you can buy aluminum stock bars from hardware stores that will be wide enough without having to do all the extra cutting from a sheet.

Although I will say my is still sagging some but it's because the radiator support its screwed into flexes.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Although I will say my is still sagging some but it's because the radiator support its screwed into flexes.

So totally forgot he did the bottom thing. Ignore my comments.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts

go buys some thick Grade 8 washers.. The 1 1/2 - 2" ones.. Place them between the bracket and rad support. Problem solved. It widens the load foot print enough to give it the strength it needs...

I knew when i came up with them damn things i should of just made them and sold them.. But it wasnt a 100% fix so i would feel bad taking peoples money.. Plus makes for a cool like DIY project

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do the washers get installed vertically on the upper part of the bracket or are they installed horizontally on the lower part. I am guessing vertically and somehow making this strger to hold more weight? Thanks in advance about to work on my grill and would like to get zero sag.

61 - 80 of 98 Posts