Veloster Turbo Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Do the washers get installed vertically on the upper part of the bracket or are they installed horizontally on the lower part. I am guessing vertically and somehow making this strger to hold more weight? Thanks in advance about to work on my grill and would like to get zero sag.
vertically Between the bracket and rad support.. Now even with these brackets you will still get the sag in the middle of the grill. The corners will be tight though..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Can you please tell me what you screwed into for support. I get that the bumper is resting and secured to this... But what about the other side? Thanks you in advance for my quest of no bumper sag!
I made brackets to replace the stock mounting locations also. I used 1/8" aluminum for the upper brackets and 1/4" for the bottom plate. I drilled holes in the bottom plate to allow for drainage and to make it a little lighter. I sprayed everything with Undercoat for weather protection.

My fabrication skills suck (mostly because I don't have the right tools) but I am sharing anyway to try and give anyone else an idea of how to fix the sag.

Mine started sagging after the very first time I took the bumper off and it bothered me for more than two years before I made these brackets last month. Now the bumper sits where it is supposed too and looks a lot better.

View attachment 59705

This is the bottom plate installed. Just used some basic nuts and bolts to attach it to the bumper. The rear is attached with the three bolts that held the plastic weather guard in place. This plate replaces that plastic piece nicely. Sprayed everything down with Undercoat to help protect it (got a little too much in some areas).

View attachment 59713

Upper brackets replacing the factory ones. Holes are off center on the brackets but line up when I put the bumper on. Sprayed Undercoat on these too. Used the factory plastic screw-pins to hold in place (for now).

View attachment 59729

Brackets and plate before install.

EDIT: Here are some pictures of the bumper installed. You can see how tight it fights up against the headlights now. Also, I forgot to mention that with that bottom plate the bumper doesn't move at all. It feels solid.

View attachment 59753

Driver's Side.

View attachment 59761

Passenger's Side.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
go buys some thick Grade 8 washers.. The 1 1/2 - 2" ones.. Place them between the bracket and rad support. Problem solved. It widens the load foot print enough to give it the strength it needs...

I knew when i came up with them damn things i should of just made them and sold them.. But it wasnt a 100% fix so i would feel bad taking peoples money.. Plus makes for a cool like DIY project
So I did the thing and it definitely helped a lot.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I noticed my front bumper had started to sag recently, & had certainly not been off since I have owned it. I had it up on ramps today & found that there is a piece of black polystyrene that goes across the front behind the grill. It seems this polystyrene has become compressed or distorted recently, perhaps due to the unusually high temperatures we have been having recently in the U.K.
Anyway, I used some folded up memory foam to pack out the gap behind the polystyrene, which pushes the bumper back up to where it should be, and by using foam, it also allows an amount of shock absorption. A very easy & cheap fix to a sagging front bumper.

·
Registered
162 Posts
:this_thread_is_wort

·
Registered
27 Posts
I made brackets to replace the stock mounting locations also. I used 1/8" aluminum for the upper brackets and 1/4" for the bottom plate. I drilled holes in the bottom plate to allow for drainage and to make it a little lighter. I sprayed everything with Undercoat for weather protection.

My fabrication skills suck (mostly because I don't have the right tools) but I am sharing anyway to try and give anyone else an idea of how to fix the sag.

Mine started sagging after the very first time I took the bumper off and it bothered me for more than two years before I made these brackets last month. Now the bumper sits where it is supposed too and looks a lot better.

View attachment 59705

This is the bottom plate installed. Just used some basic nuts and bolts to attach it to the bumper. The rear is attached with the three bolts that held the plastic weather guard in place. This plate replaces that plastic piece nicely. Sprayed everything down with Undercoat to help protect it (got a little too much in some areas).

View attachment 59713

Upper brackets replacing the factory ones. Holes are off center on the brackets but line up when I put the bumper on. Sprayed Undercoat on these too. Used the factory plastic screw-pins to hold in place (for now).

View attachment 59729

Brackets and plate before install.

EDIT: Here are some pictures of the bumper installed. You can see how tight it fights up against the headlights now. Also, I forgot to mention that with that bottom plate the bumper doesn't move at all. It feels solid.

View attachment 59753

Driver's Side.

View attachment 59761

Passenger's Side.
I wish one of the vendors would have made and sold these brackets/plate as a kit. I need to pull my bumper off asap to fix my grill and will probably make up something similar.

Edit- sent sxth element an email. Figured it couldn't hurt to see if they were interested in making these. Will post if/when I get a reply. Would anybody else be interested in buying something like this if they were made?

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
They are literally just steel strips... Go to Home Depot lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Got a response from Sxth pointing me to turbosocks. Sxth mentioned that Socal has a solution as well, but I couldn't find anything on there site other than the bumper quick release kit (which I've already ordered). Going to build the turbosocks bracket and see how that goes. Already have some steel bar stock in the shop.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Finally got around to working on the bumper sag. Bought a quick release kit from Tippett and the anti-sag bars from turbosocks. KDMTuners has an install vid on their youtube channel showing how to install the quick release kit. It's a great walkthrough, but 1 thing I noticed he did that could be improved on, and that's to do with getting the screw posts set properly before making your marks. With the VT, there isn't much room for the posts, so you need to ditch the hats and springs, cut the screws down real short and run them down so that between 0 and 3 threads are showing BEFORE you press down and make an impression for where your hole is going to be drilled. I dialed the screw length in by putting on the quick release cap, and then eyeballing it so that the flat part of the cap was parallel to the quarter panel. All 4 screws wound up dialed in slightly differently. Doing this made it so that there was no fussing with panel gaps or height after the install. I was pretty happy with how it turned out.

The turbosocks bars didn't come with any instructions, so I improvised a bit. The back attaches to the splash guard mounting points on the body, and then I cut a couple of slits in the front lip and folded them forward so that the bar could come up under the bumper and have some extra meat to cradle. It could probably be done better, but I did this with the car on the ground. Next time it's at my uncles garage I'll get it up on the lift and take another look at it.

Overall everything seems nice and solid now.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I might would do quick release things if I had a black car. Would be very hard to hide on my vitamin C. Yes don’t guess most people want to hide them though.

I kind of dislike the look and those bolt-on flares too (the Veloster is already widebody. Just get the right figment and stance)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I might would do quick release things if I had a black car. Would be very hard to hide on my vitamin C. Yes don’t guess most people want to hide them though.

I kind of dislike the look and those bolt-on flares too (the Veloster is already widebody. Just get the right figment and stance)
I'd really only recommend the quick release kit if you're having issues with the stock brackets breaking or sag. The stock bumper bracket clips are notoriously easy to break. I broke one of the tabs on the passenger side the second time I had the bumper off. If you did need to do it I'd go black. Black goes with everything, and the car is already a bit sporty/agressive, so I think they'd compliment the car rather well.

And yeah, bolt on flares are ass in general. That being said, there is a Liberty Walk GTR here in Philly that is just pure sex. One of the few aftermarket widebody cars that I actually like. But the widebody kit costs almost as much as my VT, so there's that.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts
About this Discussion
96 Replies
38 Participants
brokenhalo
Veloster Turbo Forum
This is the Veloster Turbo forum where you can learn all the tips and mods to make your Hyundai Veloster Turbo faster and talk about the new Veloster N!
Full Forum Listing