• Undecided - more KMs/testing required

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • The way I drive, I threw the figures away long ago

Votes: 5 45.5%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I feel like the car runs better and has better throttle response with higher octane. $3 more per tank is worth it to me...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Been tossing up whether to make the first tankful on Saturday a drink of Regular 91 or Premium 98 - I found an article this morning while researching the subject.

The article concerns the new Suzuki Swift. Not quite apples-for-apples but then again, not a bad example as the Swift is slightly lighter than the VT (about 300kg, although about as aerodynamic is a house-brick) and has the same size donk (1.6) but is obviously a non-turbo. The article mentions figures of about 6.5/100 and the Swift requires Premium whereas, the VT claims about 6.4 (for the manual) and will burn 91 juice all day every day ..... Not quite sure what to think now.

Ok, after further investigation, I've revised this post. The Research Octane Number (RON95, RON98 etc) actually describes the ability of the fuel to resist pre-ignition whilst under compression (ie on the compression stroke of your motor - just prior to when it goes bang). In "high performance" engines - those designed to use higher compression ratios of the fuel/air mix, it IS necessary to use a higher RON to avoid the fuel pre-igniting before the ignition stroke .... if it pre-ignites, you get loss of power, possible engine damage and/or the zombie apocalypse.

If the manual for the VT says 'RON91 ULP' is acceptable, then using a fuel that is 'more resist to pre-ignition' may not be entirely necessary, although I guess it doesn't really hurt from what I've read. However, if you do notice 'knocking' or 'pinging' - it may indicate some pre-ignition and perhaps then you could switch to RON95 or RON98.

You just don't seem to get any better value for money on the whole - mind you, the 2nd article from below does show that better economy came from using RON98 over anything else. I suppose it depends on the car too and how YOU drive it. If you're not constantly thrashing your VT, you may not notice a diff between fuels.

On the whole though, higher octane fuels DO NOT directly correlate to an increase in power (the higher number does not mean more bang) - that's just simple physics. The higher octane fuels 'might' contain additives to make more bang though .... depends on the company supplying the fuel, I suppose.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Age old discussion. Run what the manufacturer recommends, anything else is just burning a hole in your pocket.
Unless you have high compression or moderate ignition advance, regular unleaded is more than capable of handling pre-ignition. I haven't researched the ECU's ability to detect and retard knock, but most modern engine management systems are capable of handling this. I assume Hyundai is up to date in this aspect.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm tending to agree with you, Bender - I dropped into a BP servo yesterday and it reminded me that their 91 is 'blended with up to 10% ethanol' .... after having read that ethanol gives you less bang for your buck (although it's not likelyto actually damage your motor), I filled up my partner's car (2012 X-Trail) with 95. Cost about $3 or $4 more but it seems to be nicer to drive - maybe that's all in my head though. I was reading the blurb on the 98 pump whilst filling up and, to be honest, I do wish I could get their 'cleaning and protection' effects but without the extra octane, which seems to be useless unless you have an engine built for it.

So ... tomorrow morning when I pick up the VT, it's in for a big drink of 95 ! I'll have to post some pics too, I suppose.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks mate ! Yeah, was fun despite raining all day - was geek-cool watching the rain fall on the roof though. Great car in the wet, very sure-footed. Didn't have the balls to turn off the ESC hahahaha

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Done ... busily winding down the 1000k break-in period. Says in the manual that there isn't a 'run in' period BUT they do have a few recommendations for the motor/brakes etc ... they give advice NOT to go above 4000 revs .... oh man - hard to remain sensible.

Only thing I can possibly whinge about is the bluetooth streaming. It seems to hiccup every now and again. Oh and mate, you might want to turn off the alerts on the SatNav - partially mutes the stereo to let you know there's a camera coming up etc ... can be annoying.

Can't complain about the economy though. Very quickly dropped to 6.5/100 once I hit the highway - even with overtaking bursts. Very happy with this car, my friend.

We seem to get better tyres too. Factory spec was Kumho Solus .... I had a squiz and found it wears Hankook Optimus (something or other) .... they literally stick like s**t on a blanket ... *drool*

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ditto Ditto DITTO - arrrggghhh! So Jealous Andy!!! Ho hum, just gotta keep living vicariously through everyone on here driving theirs! ;-) The finance gal from my dealer got her Storm Trooper delivered last week - sooooo spewing it wasn't mine! Also was in Sydney on the weekend & spotted a black VT turning left onto the Pacific Highway in Gordon... he caught up to us in the traffic so I wound my window down & gave him the thumbs up & a massive grin & he looked at me like I was a crazy woman... oh well I guess not everyone who owns a VT is an 'enthusiast' LOL ;-)

·
Registered
242 Posts
...oh well I guess not everyone who owns a VT is an 'enthusiast' LOL ;-)
Some people just don't deserve to have one yet!! I would have reciprocated :wink:

Hmmm... I think this thread is getting massively off topic... hahaha

So Andy, you had a chance to try different fuels yet, although I guess you probably still on your first tank.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Bexta. Yeah Tokra, we're waaaaay off topic here, eh ?

On the topic of fuels, economy has been superb. Projected mileage (or should that be kilometreage ?) is roughly 650-700 per tank - just outstanding. I've been doing 'a bit' of 'spirited driving' since picking it up and I'm still coming to terms with how well it corners. This driving alone should hammer the economy yet the hardest/highest I've seen so far is about 8.5 .... and that dropped very quickly once we got back to open road. The stop-start stuff seems to really ramp up the thirst worse than hard acceleration through winding roads.

Although it had about 2/3rds of a tank when I picked it up, so far 'JJ' has had only 95 RON to drink so .... it's been hard to qualify my own topic here regarding the different fuels. Perhaps I've been too preoccupied clocking up nearly 800kms in the 4 days we've had it and have topped it up twice during this time.

*big, big grin*

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Greets, my fellow VT fans. Ok - I've been using 95RON juice only and here's a pic of what happened when I settled down a bit and started driving sensibly. I do a run of approx 100km each way to work, almost all of it on freeways/motorways. It's probably a 50/50 split between 100kph zones and 110kph zones. Can't beat a car that gets this sort of economy yet is able to take off like the VT can ....... My afternoon run is always with the aircon on as low as it can go - took this snap after pulling in the driveway yesterday afternoon:

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Hyundai veloster Measuring instrument

1 - 20 of 32 Posts