Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I wanted to introduce myself;

My name is John, I'm from Central Florida & I'm in the market for a new car!

I currently own a 2011 Mitsubishi Lancer (non-turbo with a bunch of Evolution GSR featured including Recaro's), but I am leaning away from Mitsubishi. My dad & girlfriend both own Hyundai's (my girlfriend is about to get a Genesis 3.8 coupe) so it has me interested in getting a Hyundai myself.

I test-drove a '15 Veloster Turbo today & I must say, for a stock FWD twin-scroll turbocharged 1.6l, I am highly impressed! It makes good power & I may be a future Veloster Turbo owner in a few days/a week from now.

I was wondering how well people enjoy their VT's & how moody the car is with bolt-ons & a tune? I'm looking at going from 201-300ish whp.

Thanks in advance & I look forward to meeting some awesome new people on here!

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Hello, I wanted to introduce myself;

My name is John, I'm from Central Florida & I'm in the market for a new car!

I currently own a 2011 Mitsubishi Lancer (non-turbo with a bunch of Evolution GSR featured including Recaro's), but I am leaning away from Mitsubishi. My dad & girlfriend both own Hyundai's (my girlfriend is about to get a Genesis 3.8 coupe) so it has me interested in getting a Hyundai myself.

I test-drove a '15 Veloster Turbo today & I must say, for a stock FWD twin-scroll turbocharged 1.6l, I am highly impressed! It makes good power & I may be a future Veloster Turbo owner in a few days/a week from now.

I was wondering how well people enjoy their VT's & how moody the car is with bolt-ons & a tune? I'm looking at going from 201-300ish whp.

Thanks in advance & I look forward to meeting some awesome new people on here!

Welcome to the forums are you looking at m/t or a/t options?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Welcome! If it impresses you while stock just wait until you drive it with a tune :) So much fun

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First thing I would advise is to get notions of "number of horsepowers" out of your head. You will be sorely disappointed. Instead focus on a fun, balanced car.
Why do you say this?

I'm looking at a (unfortunately) A/T one at my local dealership. For the price, I can't find one with the same options as a M/T anywhere near my location for the price. 1 previous owner with a few thousand miles for almost 17k before trade in. I was going to swap into an STi afterwards if this car could't push more than 300 ponies out the turbo after a year or so of ownership.

·
Registered
11,486 Posts
Why do you say this?

I'm looking at a (unfortunately) A/T one at my local dealership. For the price, I can't find one with the same options as a M/T anywhere near my location for the price. 1 previous owner with a few thousand miles for almost 17k before trade in. I was going to swap into an STi afterwards if this car could't push more than 300 ponies out the turbo after a year or so of ownership.
It's a 1.6. It's not that big.

But why 300? If you expect to hit that number you will be wasting your time and money.
With some handling attention and a couple of little power improvers you can make this car a fun little canyon carver.

Also if that used one is a '13 then don't buy it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

But why 300? If you expect to hit that number you will be wasting your time and money.
With some handling attention and a couple of little power improvers you can make this car a fun little canyon carver.

It is a used 2015 with a few thousand miles completely stock. So it's up to me what to do to it from this point on with all the manufacturer warranties. So I'm not too worried about saving a few thousand off MSRP if I'm not going to keep the car long-term.

BUT, I know its a 1.6l but it makes a understandable amount of power as-is. I can see it having a lot of potential. I saw that a tune alone would get me an additional 60ish hp alone, unless that's not true, that's impressive considering a tune gave my lancer close to 50hp NA gain.

Anything you would recommend? I'm not trying to explode the motor but I would love to own this car and scoot the tires (considering it is FWD) and hear the turbine while down the track.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
And on top of that cars with bigger engines still struggle to make 300 on a k03. For example the focus st

·
Registered
11,486 Posts
Don't get me wrong! The VT is an amazing platform. I mostly want you to avoid disappointment.
This car is not and really won't ever be a dyno queen or a quarter mile monster. On a road track or on the highway however she can shine.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
James, if money isn't the issue for op, wouldn't full bolt on with your tune and super stock turbo hit 300whp?

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
James, if money isn't the issue for op, wouldn't full bolt on with your tune and super stock turbo hit 300whp?
Well yes anything is possible, in no way was I saying 300 was impossible. But with what we have seen from Hyundai's offerings for a stock block you may want to be looking at upgraded engine internals also for reliability.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't get me wrong! The VT is an amazing platform. I mostly want you to avoid disappointment.
This car is not and really won't ever be a dyno queen or a quarter mile monster. On a road track or on the highway however she can shine.
I'm saving a quarter mile car for something like an STi or Evo GSR as far as an AWD twin-scroll monster. This VT would make a great daily as I am highly impressed with the get-up stock. I can already see where an exhaust, tune, bov/intercooler upgrade would get me. I think I would be happy with it, I just want something similar towards a sleeper style car. You don't see many VT's in my area as race ready cars to start, let alone many VT's in general.

I was thinking this car would make me more than happy as a reliable daily-driver. I thought it would respond to tunes/bolt-ons as an Evo would. Again, I don't know much about the VT so my knowledge base isn't here with this platform.

During the test drive, sport mode was fun. Not like I would imagine but it felt like it hit 60mph in 1st shifting into 2nd. That was a nice get-up. I've owned nothing but N/A's so this is a nice change considering the turbine is that of an Evo/STi. Seeing that was a nice appeal as well!

Mind you guys, I'm a noob towards this platform. I've been in the Mitsu Evo area for the last 4.5-5 years. That's all I'm used to. I would love insight and any helpful tricks on how to get the most out of this car safely.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
An AT is in third gear at 60 MPH. A 6M can reach 60 in 2nd only if the RPM range is extended with a tune. This is actual (GPS) speed and not indicated speed via the speedometer, which is optimistic (reads high).
Oh I had no idea. It felt really smooth to be from 1st into 3rd then. So the speedometer reads higher than it should?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I researched about speedometer when looking into getting smaller rims and how it affects the accuracy of the speedometer. It's against the law for the speedometer to read lower than actual speed (I'm thinking for speeding ticket purposes) so manufacturers make the speedometer read a couple mph higher than actual speed -better safe then sorry. Unless you're Volkswagen and like to live dangerously lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If everything plays out as it should, within the next few days I'll be driving off the lot with a 2015 (lol @color code) Vitamin C Turbo!

A little disappointed already how the hood vents wouldn't seriously function as of that of the Evo hood (center scoop to cool turbine & too other scoops to release engine heat) and they're just for show essentially. Just like the Genesis coupe.

Is everyone happy with their purchase of the Veloster Turbo? I'm 90% sold on this car after the test drive, but I don't know much about how to upgrade this car or what to look towards in the future if I do go buy it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does anyone have the Turbo R-Spec? If so, what's your thoughts on the the car/ride?

The deal didn't fall through as intended so now I'm between an R-Spec Veloster or an R-Spec 2.0T Genesis to be in my garage by July/August.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have 2014 R spec. I think it's nice but the seats aren't fully leather. One time I let my friends fat friend girl in the car and I had to clean the seats like 10 times to get her smelly ass smell off. No push start, navigation, moonroof -all which I don't care for. I've never driven the regular VT so I don't really have any comparison between the the two. Overall I'm very happy with my r spec. Just never let smelly ass people in the car.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Does anyone have the Turbo R-Spec? If so, what's your thoughts on the the car/ride?

The deal didn't fall through as intended so now I'm between an R-Spec Veloster or an R-Spec 2.0T Genesis to be in my garage by July/August.
I have a fully loaded A/T VT. I wouldn't have it any other way, because it is a daily driver, not a track automobile. You have to prioritize on what you like. People here would have different opinions, because it all depends on what they prioritize.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts