Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have noticed, probably due to cold weather, that the shifter can be difficult to engage. What I mean is that when you shift in any gear, the engine slows down at about the same rate as a Mack truck, or possibly more like a diesel ship engine, so if you are trying to engage the shifter into the next gear, you either wait whole seconds to engage it, or you get a difficult shift, or even a grind now and then. The shifter and linkage (cables) are practically garbage, sure, but this really seems like a synchronizer issue, which means it's probably a fluid issue since these cars are practically new.

So the question is this - has anyone tried changing fluids in the manual gearbox yet? The factory fluid is probably like the rest of the car - Hyundai put whatever was astonishingly cheap and readily available in Korea at the time. I'm sure it's not water, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's that $1.50 per quart SAE 30 motor oil from the auto parts store.

I am contemplating moving to Motul Gear 300 or similar in both vehicles. The Audi's massive Getrag box is a horrible pain in the cold, but at least it warms up after several minutes and the Amsoil I have in there now really comes alive - when warm, it turns back into a simply gorgeous, direct shifting, heavy duty gearbox. By comparison, yeah. Korea. 'nuff said. So maybe I should order a couple extra liters of it and switch over this car as well? Or maybe try the cheaper and more readily available Amsoil in the VT as a pilot test before committing $20/L to it, ne?

·
Banned
7,377 Posts
So I have noticed, probably due to cold weather, that the shifter can be difficult to engage. What I mean is that when you shift in any gear, the engine slows down at about the same rate as a Mack truck, or possibly more like a diesel ship engine, so if you are trying to engage the shifter into the next gear, you either wait whole seconds to engage it, or you get a difficult shift, or even a grind now and then. The shifter and linkage (cables) are practically garbage, sure, but this really seems like a synchronizer issue, which means it's probably a fluid issue since these cars are practically new.

So the question is this - has anyone tried changing fluids in the manual gearbox yet? The factory fluid is probably like the rest of the car - Hyundai put whatever was astonishingly cheap and readily available in Korea at the time. I'm sure it's not water, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's that $1.50 per quart SAE 30 motor oil from the auto parts store.

I am contemplating moving to Motul Gear 300 or similar in both vehicles. The Audi's massive Getrag box is a horrible pain in the cold, but at least it warms up after several minutes and the Amsoil I have in there now really comes alive - when warm, it turns back into a simply gorgeous, direct shifting, heavy duty gearbox. By comparison, yeah. Korea. 'nuff said. So maybe I should order a couple extra liters of it and switch over this car as well? Or maybe try the cheaper and more readily available Amsoil in the VT as a pilot test before committing $20/L to it, ne?
X has switched to Amsoil. I want to switch over to the Motul Gear 300 as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Such positive Hyundai comments
Sorry; this car is pissing me off lately. Little things - you can't start off in first gear without the car intervening and trying to help (badly), everything in the cabin rattles at different speeds now with 5,000 miles on the car, it has terrible misfires at any part boost acceleration. I will also say that the moderate side of me is still glad I bought it. If it helps any, I hate almost every car. My Audi is a gargantuan pain in my rear, and is horribly expensive to own. Also, the engine is a known ticking time bomb - some have blown at as little as 50k miles, and none recorded so far has lasted past 135k. Used engines start at $4,000, and built engines, sleeved, with forged rods and pistons, ported heads, uprated valves and springs, stock cams, and new timing hardware cost about - get this - $15k! It's also the better part of two tons, so if you get a little ambitious with transitioning from, say, turning to braking, you can get scary in a hurry.

Anyway, whoever made up the rating category "initial quality" should be shot, and by no means does Hyundai make anything as well as Honda makes everything, so comparing one to the other is, quite frankly, assinine. This is, however, a bargain of a car, with all sorts of bells and whistles for far less than anything else comparable. It's going to have some "-isms" at this price point, but at the end of the day you still have a 200+hp car with great seats, good stereo, etc. for just over $20k.

What is the recommended weight? I had 75w-90 in my old car and that was great once it warmed up, slightly sludgy under 30 degrees.
Recommended lubricant is API service GL-4 with SAE 75w85 weight. So I would think that a standard 75w90 would be quite alright, and preferably something with a relatively low numerical viscosity for its weight at that. Capacity is listed as 1.9-2.0 L, or 2.0-2.1 US quarts. So the Gear 300 75w90 would be spot on, as it is GL-4/GL-5 compatible. It's also what Motul recommends for the car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, if there is anyone that is in the Central FL area, maybe we can save on shipping and either order a bunch of 1 Liter cans or a 20 Liter can, and split it up. If I pull the trigger on the Motul, I'll be needing 6 L myself - 2.1 for this and 3.5 for the other girl. A few more people and we could probably make a 20 L worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I was just being a smart ass anyway. Like you mentioned, you do get alot of car for the money even if it has some "isms" lol.

The Genesis has had it share of tranny issues and many people stayed with the 75w85 but switched to a better quality one. Redline MT-85 is prob the favourite one. Hyundai themselves has even been known to use the very expensive Pentosin stuff as a replacement.

Anyway, Hyundai doesnt use a variation of motor oil like Honda used too, so the current MTF is prob just a tad thick till it warms up. I find my VT shifts decent when its cold, but my Genesis doesnt like 1st at all till it warms up and thins out a bit.

From my Genesis experiences, Id just try a better quality fluid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts