Veloster Turbo Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Installed an Aukey (DR-02) front and rear dashcam kit, just like this one. Decided to push the rear camera connection cable through the factory hatch cable protection, and jammed it back up to the front while hidden above the headliner. Nice factory install. The only issues were a small hole to dremel in the hatch trim, and a bit of accidental creasing/puckering in the headliner over the passenger side pillar.

I opted to use a USB-mini hardwiring kit with a fuse tap to get constant power, and use the camera's motion sensor to get protection while parked. Hopefully this works without excessive battery drain. The hardwiring adapter is supposed to feature a low-voltage cutoff if there's a problem.

There are some good reviews of this cam online already, but I'll probably weigh in after I have some time to test it.

IMG_20180421_140643.jpg

IMG_20180421_142444.jpg

IMG_20180421_144049.jpg

IMG_20180421_144056.jpg

IMG_20180421_144558.jpg

IMG_20180421_144601.jpg

IMG_20180421_144858.jpg

IMG_20180421_150722.jpg

IMG_20180421_150859.jpg

Reactions: LZSchneider

·
Super Moderator
3,710 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
where did you order it from? amazon says unavailable.
Can confirm it shows unavailable on Amazon USA at the moment. It seems like their distribution is pretty much Amazon exclusive, and they seem to go through batches in a hurry. These have been getting some decent reviews and attention on Youtube, so they're probably a bit overwhelmed.

As a small update, I ended up buying a second microSD card after I was a moron and lost the first one. I've pulled a little bit of footage off the camera, and it looks decent. The picture from the rear camera is a bit disappointing -- with such an odd tint at times, I had to double-check I'd removed the protective film. I suspect it's struggling with my window tint. I'm also not convinced the "motion sensor" activation is 100% reliable yet, and want to do some more testing before making a judgement there. It usually makes an obvious "wake up" noise when you get underway, but I've caught it napping a couple times.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I went with the Cobra CCDC4488 Drive HD Dual Dash Cam Front & Rear w/16GB card for 2 reasons One was the price $185 for the complete set and two I could increase the memory SD card to 32GB. Cobra Cam.jpg

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I went with the Cobra CCDC4488 Drive HD Dual Dash Cam Front & Rear w/16GB card for 2 reasons One was the price $185 for the complete set and two I could increase the memory SD card to 32GB. View attachment 98281
I'd be curious how it works out for you. Even 32GB seems tight to me for a dual 1080 stream, and will probably wear out from the overwrites in a hurry if you spend a lot of time driving. The Aukey supports up to 128GB, which I have installed.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I could put a larger SD card but I have 3 or 32GB card doing nothing from all the smart phones and tables my wife and I have. Plus I got mine at Costco and they have a 2 year replacement policy automatically on electronics so I didn't have to buy an extended warranty. So I got 2, the other HD units I was looking at were almost $400 each.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Gosh Mr. Dragon, if I was in Canadia I'd drive to you and pay you 200 dollars (that's basically 3000 CAD) to fix all of older mods and install new ones. Jeez, the dexterity, patience, and bravery that you have for modding your car is impressive. Good work with that camera install, especially. Was it a pain to feed the wire through the roof liner?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Was it a pain to feed the wire through the roof liner?
It was a pain without question. I had an extra helper, and fed the wire from the back using a long piece of flexible wooden trim. Something a bit more flexible would have been better. I had the front visors and handles removed, and about a half-dozen plastic clips front and back loosened out to make the liner somewhat willing to yield.

I don't think I would have attempted it if this wasn't a Rally (without sunroof). The airbags were constantly on my mind as I considered digging at the edges of the passenger trim, and I didn't want to completely remove the headliner. As it was, I found a path roughly down the passenger's sitting position. The metal ribbing in the roof made the last few feet Hell, and I basically had my arm contorted, scratched, and jammed most of the way to my shoulder into the headliner up front to retrieve the end of the cable.

Reactions: LZSchneider

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Huge stretch without any activity on my end -- but a simple update:
Still daily driving the car. About 43,000KMs / 27,000 miles.

Just changed the outside "membrane" switch on the rear hatch myself (about $30 on ebay from Korea), because the rubber had completely disintegrated. The dealer wouldn't change it under warranty until the switch stopped working.

Just went back to the stock spoiler because I didn't like the cracks in the fiberglass on my aftermarket one. Might try to repair it sometime, but no big deal. Kind of nice to get my rear visibility back. XD

Still alive. :)

41 - 49 of 49 Posts