1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gensport United's 5th Annual Spring Run of the Dragon
April 2nd-5th 2015

10353433_10152402590007934_5745223708912382820_o.jpg

On behalf of GenSport United and VSport United, I invite everyone to Gensport United's 5th Annual Spring Run of the Dragon!

GenSport United has given VSport United permission to piggy back off their amazing event until we have enough regular participants to hold our own event in the future. The Fall run for 2014 had 5 Velosters participate over the 4 days. TheRock, Neversummer, two others I don't know the user names of and myself. Lets do better for the Spring run!

OFFICIAL FACEBOOK EVENT PAGE
Gensport United's 5th Annual Spring Run of the Dragon

If you cannot view or join the event page, please let me know via pm. I may have to friend you on FB and invite you into it.

The Tail of The Dragon is one of North America's most well-known motorcycle and sports car roads. This stretch of highway contains 318 turns in just over 11 miles with no cross-streets. Thousands of drivers come from all over North America and beyond to drive this road every year. The road is covered with professional photographers such as Killboy and nice rides. Additionally, the beautiful Appalachian mountains contains numerous other fun roads including the Cherohala Skyway, Hellbender, Blue Ridge Parkway, The Diamondback, The Devil's Triangle (TN), etc. within NC along the border with TN. This event is 4 days long and has a fun schedule of drives of the Tail of the Dragon and many other roads in the area and some fun gatherings such as a large group photo at Fontana Dam. There is a group rate for lodging at the Fontana Village just across the border in NC where everyone will be staying. More information can be found on the event page linked above, an event schedule will be posted as we approach the event date.

I recommend to bring a 2-way radio for the trip, it's used in the Village and on the roads as communication and entertainment. Cells phones will rarely ever had reception in the mountains.

Slammed cars be warned, you will scrape at some points on these roads and I recommend raising your car before attending.

I highly recommend sharing cabins as it helps bring the cost per person down. Utilizing the couch, and floor space with air beds. You won't be in the cabins for much anyway.

I average $500 per trip in lodging, gas and food costs.

Air pressure of ~46 front, and ~42 rear is highly recommended.

FONTANA VILLAGE

Fontana Village group rate: OPEN!

You may begin using the group rate to book rooms as soon as you like. Pricing will be posted soon and I will update this thread with it. Additional info about Fontana and the accommodations can found on Fontana's website.
http://www.fontanavillage.com

To book - call Fontana Village resorts at 1-800-849-2258 and ask to book a reservation under "Gencoupe Fall 2014". Reservations cannot be made online! If you have any issues at all with the group rate booking, please let us know ASAP!

The rates we have worked out are below. *Availability is limited and it is highly suggested to get your group together and get your cabin reserved as soon as possible as Fontana is already filling up fast with other groups renting other areas of the resort.* We typically recommend working a group rental to reduce costs for everyone to stay in one cabin. Some do this more than others offer couches and floor space to fill and further reduce each person's portion of the lodging cost for the entire weekend. Others coming solo will post here and or on the Facebook event page and look for anyone who has rented a cabin but is still looking to fill beds/couches/floor space with more people that they can contact and join their cabin. Also, to reserve your room, the required upfront deposit is the first nights worth of cost. So, for example, if you wanted a lodge room you would call Fontana, give them the group information so they can look up the group rate, and then pay over the phone $99 for the first night to secure the entire weekend or however long you plan to stay.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I would love to go! just bought a house, but money should be settled by then. Ive always wanted to drive TOTD. also btw contain, link in your sig isnt working

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would love to go! just bought a house, but money should be settled by then. Ive always wanted to drive TOTD. also btw contain, link in your sig isnt working
It's so very worth going to! Slow or fast, it's fun as hell!

Thanks for the letting me know, link fixed.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No update to this event yet, but i'm bumping it anyway. Add it to your calendar and put those vacation days in!

·
Registered
21 Posts
WOOT WOOT I am super stoked but I cannot attend This year Went in 13 and I even bought some killboy shots to commiserate the VT's first running of the gap shit that remindes me i still need to post them on here and last year my wife's boss got the dates fucked up so we ended up there when the coopers were invading still was a great time bc the 2 stroke tripples were there it was great to see all of those old bikes runnin the gap. I would Highly recommend to anyone who is thinking that they may do it to just do it its a blast and while you are there dont forget the hit up the charaholla skyway and the blue ridge parkway they are worth the drive. SO GET OUT AND ENJOY YOURSELFS. I will see you all for sure in 16 by then maby it will be a VT rally and that will be amazing And if you want to see the gap run in reverse from lakeside to the hotel look up my youtube vid of the 13 run title is pushin my 2013 veloster turbo pretty hard at deals gap us 129 "tail of the dragon" mostly havin fun give it a view so you can see whats in store for you And Yes i do wish i had mounted the gopro near the front tire so you could hear the no seasons crying for mercy around every turn. LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts