Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im the greenhorn here. Nice to meet you all. I got a 13 Veloster Turbo 6 speed a little while back and I havent done much to it yet. Just about nothing in fact. I did notice however, that a lot of people were blocking off the recirculating mount and attaching a breather filter to the end of the BPV hose to get that "blow off sound." Which is all fine and dandy, but it creates some amount of boost lag (the little you can achieve from a twin scroll the size of a pickle), not to mention this car was designed to work most efficiently from this recirculating design. Unless you are upgrading the entire turbocharged system, this way of doing things will only hurt you, not help you. I have also noticed that these cars are very picky about upgrades and want every little modification tuned.
Anyway, here is a better solution to get that turbo blow off sound, without taking a severe hit performance wise. I just wanted to share for anyone new to all this. I am a very sarcastic person but I mean well and I am always just trying to help, so please do not take any dry humor offensively, just future reference. I also will admit I do not know it all even if I sound like it and I am open to discussion on anything. Note: the car will still want a tune, but doesn't really need it. (Im not spending a couple hundred just after throwing on a $25 filter, Ill wait until the $500 exhaust gets put on)

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
How can you tell it causes any lag? Can you prove this in any way? Never noticed any additional lag myself. You can hear the blow off either way, just louder when vented to atmosphere. The con to venting to atmosphere is that the valve is sometimes open making it possible for debris to get into the intake/charge tract. Thus why mine is not vented to atmosphere and I have a large air filter in place of airbox much like yours, but 2-3x larger.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How can you tell it causes any lag? Can you prove this in any way? Never noticed any additional lag myself. You can hear the blow off either way, just louder when vented to atmosphere. The con to venting to atmosphere is that the valve is sometimes open making it possible for debris to get into the intake/charge tract. Thus why mine is not vented to atmosphere and I have a large air filter in place of airbox much like yours, but 2-3x larger.....
I don't know personally from experience that it causes turbo lag, but the general rule of thumb with a stock turbo system is if you take a recirculating system and let it completely vent to the atmosphere, it creates some instance of lag from not maintaining some pressure on the return trip through the intake. I have also seen a lot of people complain about an addition of turbo lag after doing that other mod. Its just what I have noticed since becoming familiar with the VT world.

I am also planning on getting a big mouth pipe and a larger more open filter/ I just happened to have this filter from an old car that almost never got used, so I didn't need to spend anything to do this. :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
The bpv is vented into the intake on the stock system simply to quiet it down. It does nothing to help keeping the turbo spooled between shifts. The only way that would happen is if it was pointed directly at the compressor fins.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I don't know personally from experience that it causes turbo lag, but the general rule of thumb with a stock turbo system is if you take a recirculating system and let it completely vent to the atmosphere, it creates some instance of lag from not maintaining some pressure on the return trip through the intake. I have also seen a lot of people complain about an addition of turbo lag after doing that other mod. Its just what I have noticed since becoming familiar with the VT world.

I am also planning on getting a big mouth pipe and a larger more open filter/ I just happened to have this filter from an old car that almost never got used, so I didn't need to spend anything to do this. :)
recirculation and VTA only have a negative effect on an engine when a MAF sensor is involved. For our engine/computer the difference between them is only noise reduction since our engines use a MAP sensor.

And please, please do not put an air filter on the valve if you want to vent it to atmosphere. The air coming from the valve needs to be completely free flowing without restriction. The valve's only job is to keep air moving as best as it can so the turbo can keep moving when the throttle plate is closed!!!

The bpv is vented into the intake on the stock system simply to quiet it down. It does nothing to help keeping the turbo spooled between shifts. The only way that would happen is if it was pointed directly at the compressor fins.
Correct me if I am wrong but, that's the main job of the blow off valve. Keep the air moving by not letting the turbo's rotating assembly come to a stall when the throttle plate is closed.
Close the throttle with a broken or absent BOV and the air stops moving and that back pressure will find its way back to the turbo and slow the rotating assembly way down. After the throttle is open again, the turbo and air have to get back up to speed, which would be a kind of lag effect.

Since we have valves, the turbo stays spinning with minimal slow down in rotational speed thanks to the valve opening and keeping the air moving. This is why the valve flow path cannot be blocked by anything!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
recirculation and VTA only have a negative effect on an engine when a MAF sensor is involved. For our engine/computer the difference between them is only noise reduction since our engines use a MAP sensor.

And please, please do not put an air filter on the valve if you want to vent it to atmosphere. The air coming from the valve needs to be completely free flowing without restriction. The valve's only job is to keep air moving as best as it can so the turbo can keep moving when the throttle plate is closed!!!

Correct me if I am wrong but, that's the main job of the blow off valve. Keep the air moving by not letting the turbo's rotating assembly come to a stall when the throttle plate is closed.
Close the throttle with a broken or absent BOV and the air stops moving and that back pressure will find its way back to the turbo and slow the rotating assembly way down. After the throttle is open again, the turbo and air have to get back up to speed, which would be a kind of lag effect.

Since we have valves, the turbo stays spinning with minimal slow down in rotational speed thanks to the valve opening and keeping the air moving. This is why the valve flow path cannot be blocked by anything!
You're not wrong, that's exactly what I grew up learning about turbo's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts