Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, so i went to the dealer to get my first oil change done. there were about 4 people infront of me. i went inside the waiting room. in there, were the 4 people waiting on their car to be finished. they were conversing about how they were in the room for almost 2 hours now when they were told 45mins. I was thinking to myself, 'oh great...i guess i won't be outta here for awhile...' i was also told to wait for about 45mins for my oil change.
after waiting about 30 minutes, they called me to the counter saying that my car was done!

now here is where my skepticism comes in...why...? why did it take so little time for them to do my car when there were 4 other people waiting infront of me?
my car had 3000 miles when i took her in the dealer. the sticker on the window they put on said come back in 8000miles. (which is in 5000miles)
i was thinking maybe they didn't change the oil, and lied to me because my car only had 3000miles and they thought it was okay to not do the oil change yet.

anything like this happened to anyone? i don't really mind waiting for that 8000miles to get my next one done, but if they really didnt do it, i feel like i didn't need to pay $30.00 for it!

· Registered
382 Posts
Do you know what they were in there for? Maybe there were in there for repairs rather than just oil changes. They usually have separate technicians who ONLY do oil changes so thats why its usually pretty quick. Its not like theyre going to get their master mechanic in there for an oil change. Hence why I take my oil changes to my local mechanic, ill pay more but ill know the job was done properly. But if I were you, I wouldnt sweat it.

· Registered
7,106 Posts
I work in a tire shop and most services take about an hour to get done. After 30 mins they start complaining about how its been longer than an hour. People are just real impatient and well exaggerate the time they have been waiting just because to them it feels that long. Waiting in a waiting room for 30 mins seems longer than 30 mins cooking or doing something.

I show them the paper work when it was written up. I tell them they have been waiting 30 mins and I told them about an hour. then they are like oh ok lol funny

· Registered
1,294 Posts
A lot of dealers have "express" oil changes. I have gotten in and out of my dealer for an oil change faster than the other people that were waiting in the lounge.

The cost of the oil is not as much as the labor and overhead for the dealer, so it is not likely that they didn't change your oil just to save money. The dealers also have to enter in to their computers every thing they do when servicing your car and it is unlikely that they would risk making fraudulent entries that would risk their franchise.

The official Hyundai oil change interval is 3,750 miles. So your sticker should have said to return at 6,750 miles. The dealer is in the business of bringing you back for service as often as possible so this doesn't make sense. If your dealer sold you on synthetic oil than 5,000 miles make sense, but the oil change would have cost more than $30.

My dealer has a huge window in the lounge so I can watch my VT being worked on, and I do watch the mechanic work on my VT. They seem professional and have all the right equipment to do the job. I've noticed that they use a paper "check sheet" when doing the oil change and inspections - probably because they aren't as familiar with the VT.

Until ACEA A5 oil becomes commonly available I will be having my dealer do the oil changes.

· Registered
438 Posts
okay, so i went to the dealer to get my first oil change done. there were about 4 people infront of me. i went inside the waiting room. in there, were the 4 people waiting on their car to be finished. they were conversing about how they were in the room for almost 2 hours now when they were told 45mins. I was thinking to myself, 'oh great...i guess i won't be outta here for awhile...' i was also told to wait for about 45mins for my oil change.
after waiting about 30 minutes, they called me to the counter saying that my car was done!

now here is where my skepticism comes in...why...? why did it take so little time for them to do my car when there were 4 other people waiting infront of me?
my car had 3000 miles when i took her in the dealer. the sticker on the window they put on said come back in 8000miles. (which is in 5000miles)
i was thinking maybe they didn't change the oil, and lied to me because my car only had 3000miles and they thought it was okay to not do the oil change yet.

anything like this happened to anyone? i don't really mind waiting for that 8000miles to get my next one done, but if they really didnt do it, i feel like i didn't need to pay $30.00 for it!

Paranoid much???

· Registered
7,106 Posts
Paranoid much???
What the skwon said. You know there are some guys out there that have the nerve of pulling a car into the bay, look at the paper work on what it is in for, notice the sticker on his windshield said 8000 and the odo said only 3000. And if that guy wanted to say "oh well, my job is done here", and pull out the car and marking everything that it was in for is done and not say anything about it, he can and if he can get away with it to make his day a little more easier he will.

· Registered
7,106 Posts
It is unfortunate you were not able to see the dealer actually change your oil. next time you know. But also I am sure if you went in on a busy day no one could have gotten away with something like that.

Like I said before, people around you made you suspicious about how little the dealer took on your car when for all you know the people around you were impatient and they weren't really taking as long as they said. plus they might have been there at for major work done, not an express type of service like you were there for. plus like stone axe said, dealers do have there express services and have dedicated people to do jobs that only take 30 mins to make sure the get in and out in a timely manner.

also, do what jeremy said and check your dip stick and see if the oil looks fresh. Sleep tonight buddy. Don't worry about it.

· Registered
438 Posts
I`m sorry not saying that stuff doesnt happen but it seems to me most of you are VERY untrusting of your dealers. at the end of the day if they say they have done it and havent and there is an issue down the road there is this thing called a waranty that you can use. call me isnane but I trust people are doing the right thing, innocent til proven guilty kind of thing.

· Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I`m sorry not saying that stuff doesnt happen but it seems to me most of you are VERY untrusting of your dealers. at the end of the day if they say they have done it and havent and there is an issue down the road there is this thing called a waranty that you can use. call me isnane but I trust people are doing the right thing, innocent til proven guilty kind of thing.
no offense but are u serious in that you trust ur dealers 100%? do you know that another name for dealerships is stealerships? lol do you realize how much money they make by ripping people off?? im not saying anything bad about the mechanics, but dealers try to make as much profit as they can.

but by seeing response from others, seems like i won't have to worry much. thanks guys! next time i'll make sure i watch them. the dealer i go to has a waiting room way in the back with 4 brick walls. lol the others btw were infact waiting for oil changes as well...thats why i was worried. if we all just got done in order, i would not have been this worried.

· Registered
438 Posts
yes mate I do trust them because i dont have a reason not to trust them. EVERYONE is out to make money not just ya dealers I think you should remember that. Has thsi dealership giving you a reason not to trust them or do you just think because they sold you the car the are wallet vampires and have no concern for you?

· Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i tend to not trust dealerships/salesmen on first sight because i myself am a salesman lol. its the nature of the business. if they are honest, then they will gain my trust little by little. seems we have a very different view when it comes to trust. its just that if you trust someone/thing 100% at first sight, and by some chance, it/they let you down, you lose alot. so i tend to be on the safe side. but this convo is getting way too off topic and emotional lol. i didn't mean to offend you my friend. i did have a bad experience at the dealership when i was purchasing the car. that would explain alot as well

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.