Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Veloster Turbo Automatic
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My VT hit exactly 150,000 miles today. It also decided that the crankcase needed additional ventilation and put a giant hole in the side of the block.

Grille Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Road surface Asphalt Tree Tar Sky

Apologies for the crappy photos, but I was in the middle of the road.

Next question: where is the best place to get a new engine? Is there a specific year/model of engine that I should get over a straight replacement?

2014 Veloster turbo btw
Thanks!

• Sad
Reactions: Incognito

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,424 Posts
15+ model year 1.6T G4FJ with low mileage. Install head studs before engine install. Or get any G4FJ block in good shape and build it.

Then reach out for a good tune and support mods.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Veloster Turbo Manual
4,171 Posts
noooooo :(

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There was basically no load on the engine. Was running fine, had plenty of oil. I was in cruise control doing 65 when it just let go. Sounded like I ran over gravel. I caught it pretty quickly, but yeah. She gone.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for double-posting, but I also wanted an opinion on this engine from Ali Express.

Cheap as hell compared to a new OEM shortblock (or even the current ebay offerings). Would it be worth it to just grab the block and head and build the internals?

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,424 Posts
You have to wonder if the issues you been having are related to this and need to be resolved when the new engine goes in.

Just shy of $2500 does seem like a good deal.

Build would be better if a good build.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have to wonder if the issues you been having are related to this and need to be resolved when the new engine goes in.

Just shy of $2500 does seem like a good deal.

Build would be better if a good build.
Oh believe me, that's all I can think about right now. I feel like I took pretty good care of the car maintenance-wise, so either it was sheer bad luck that caused the failure or one of the minor issues I thought I had was actually major

My thoughts at the moment are maybe a leaky injector finally failed outright and hydro-locked that cylinder with fuel. I didn't notice any odd behavior form the other cylinders, and the engine didn't act like it did with the fuel issue previously.

The diverter valve would make rattlesnake noises when it was hot, but I figured that was either a faulty solenoid or a failing seal. Not sure how that would relate

I had a tapping sound on cold starts, but diagnosed that as a worn timing chain.

Recently the car had been backfiring and popping on cold starts, but I attributed that to my new downpipe with a higher flow cat in it

Turbo might have failed? When the failure happened the turbo would have been under vacuum

I'll find out from the shop today what sort of damage was done. If the head is good I'll likely just buy a built shortblock from Tork with all the goodies and call it a day. If the head's bad....I can't really afford a different car. Might have to chance the chinese engine and go over the internals with a fine tooth comb before putting it in

·
Super Moderator
4,171 Posts
my car has been popping / backfiring on cold starts for like 3 years noticeably but no other issues... half gut DP.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pictures coming soon, but the gentleman at the shop says it's the worst engine he's ever seen. Conrod dug holes in both sides of the block and upper oil pan in a straight line. Confirms what I was thinking in regards to a wrist pin failure. No word on the heads yet, but I'm not sure if the shop I towed it to is even willing to work on it. They've got a huge backlog of cars and not enough parking.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As promised
Font Artifact Auto part Art Metal

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive fuel system Automotive design

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Tread

Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Gas Bumper Auto part

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Auto part

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

• Wow
Reactions: L3g10n

·
Super Moderator
4,171 Posts
dim sun

Reactions: TooGqForYou

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd like to get my hands back on the car and pull the plugs. I have a feeling they're going to be intact. I'm just hoping beyond hope that the head is okay so I can just buy a built shortblock and call it a day

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
may I ask if you were venting your 3 ports or if you had catch cans or stock setup?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Breather into a can with a vent on it, and PCV into a catch can with a closed loop back into the manifold

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So here's where I'm at so far:

Chinese aliexpress engine is probably going to be a no-go. The labor involved in checking it is going to negate any money saved

Current engine is completely dead, any parts that weren't ruined by the failure were ruined by metal shavings. Turbo's status is unknown.

Plan at the moment is a brand new G4FJ from hyundai. The only shop in my area that is willing to put a new engine in is the dealership. I don't have a shop nor the tools to pull an engine.

So, given that I'm backed into a corner with this thing and it seems like the stealership is the only way forward, what should I expect with a new engine? I've never had a new car before, so I don't know if I need to break it in, or if there's anything special that needs to be done while the engine is still fresh

·
Registered
112 Posts
Perhaps you have friends who could help. Tools can be rented or borrowed. As a retired professional mechanic I could not go the dealership route. I dated a woman three years ago who had a late model VW, engine went bad at very low mileage, dealer replaced it, I ended up repairing the mess they left. I have many more stories and they are not good. I do not even take my cars in for warranty or recall work, I buy the parts and do the work myself.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I do have a friend with a shop, but the only bay is occupied by his track car. My grandpa has a shop that he'd let me use, but it would mean his nice new pickup truck would sit outside while I'm working on it. This car is my daily and I can't afford another screw-up. Would rather have warrantied work, even if it means giving the parasites running the dealership some extra cash

So close....considering the damage done to the block, the piston did its best, but it looks like the head's going to have at least some bent valves

Household hardware Automotive tire Spark plug Nickel Gas

1 - 17 of 17 Posts