Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i just picked up my VT last Friday and did some reading on installing HIDs with the H11B bulb. I wanted to keep the install very straightforward (plug&play) but from what I read, there were minor modifications needed and a H11 bulb was needed inplace of the H11B.

So I emailed TRS (theretrofitsource) and basically inquired about why they didnt sell H11B bulbs with their Morimoto Elite Kits. There response was more than satisfying, current the H11B bulb is not listed on the site but if u email them they can create a custom order to include the H11B bulb (instead of the H11 bulb) for an extra $10. Also, the H11B is only available in 5000K. This is now plug & play and the only small modification needed is a predrilled dust cap or u can drill ur current one. Diode Dynamics has these predrilled dust caps for order.

Am I missing something, or the predrilled dust cap is not even required?

Second bit of good news, TRS is in the process of releasing the XB35 H11 bulb (higher quality bulb compared to the regular H11 bulb). I hope "elecblue06" can chime in on the XB series and take us to school on the pros and cons. I don't think it will be a worthwhile upgrade to XB35 due to the lower quality of our projectors in the VT but, it light output it higher then I am all for it.

ETA on the XB35 is still undetermined but I hear sometime in May 2013. So anyone with H11 bulbs already with their HIDs can consider the XB series if it warrants better light output.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The TRS H11 kit fits just fine. I have had it in my VT for at least the last 3 months. The drilling through the dust cap is but a necessity for all HID kits anyway, to run the wires outside of the headlight enclosure.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The TRS H11 kit fits just fine. I have had it in my VT for at least the last 3 months. The drilling through the dust cap is but a necessity for all HID kits anyway, to run the wires outside of the headlight enclosure.
So no mods for the H11 bulb in the HID kit?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is no modification needed if u get the H11B bulb from TRS (email them for a custom order). The only mod needed is to drill a hole in the dust cap to run the wires out from the bulb.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Their kit for the H11, not H11B, is what I got. The ONLY modification required is to the dust cap, which is required for virtually ALL HID conversions anyway. The ONLY difference between H11 and H11B is how the bulb contact the power supply on the socket side, and for an HID conversion, it's meaningless because you need to run power from that power supply to the ballast/CANBus harness anyway, so there's no direct bulb to power supply contact.

IF they have an H11B kit, it might just be an alternative plug that attaches to that socket power supply better. As of right now, the power pins are held in by spring tension from the power supply contact, which is how H11B bulbs work in the first place.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ since the H11B is a twist into place bulb, it would be in the way cuz the twist i. Would give contact to the headlight connector for power, which we do not want. The hid bulb needs power direct from the ballast/can bus harness anyways. So I think the H11B hid kit would be more troublesome no?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the H11 kit from TRS, installed with no modifications or problems. You don't need H11B, H11 and H11B are interchangeable so you're paying 10 extra dollars for nothing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts