Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well my new black 17X8" +45 rims are on their way as the hub rings, new TPMS sensors. Sooo now Im torn between two summer tires. I did have the Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2 K120 tires on my 2015 GC 3.8 and I liked them alot but never had tried BF Goodrich G Force Sport Comp-2. I have read several test results on summer performance tires and they seem to like the BF's better. The Hankook's are just under $68.00 cheaper for a set a four 255-40-17 tires. Any one had any experience with either of them? side wall stiffness, grip,ect? I know they don't last long as the p zeros and pilot super sports I had on my last R Spec didnt last that long either and were way more expensive, but this time Ill have a set of winter tires cause im giving my girl friend my new R Spec rims and tires and taking her rims and tires for my winter driveing and long trips on flat roads,LOL. Thanks for any in put. me and my new 2017 R spec #1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,473 Posts
I switched from the Michelin Pilot Super Sports to Continental ExtremeContact DWS (Drift, I mean Dry, Wet, and Snow) and noticed 0 handling loss. I can still take a turn at 60 mph with confidence I'll lose no traction.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
The comp-2 a/s is what you want yammy. Good in all conditions and will beat many dedicated tires. Tread life is pretty good as well.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The comp-2 a/s is what you want yammy. Good in all conditions and will beat many dedicated tires. Tread life is pretty good as well.
Thanks, I was leaning towards the BF's myself.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Odd question, but is your girlfriend a member of Mid-South Velosters on Facebook? If not someone there has a NAV that looks almost identical to hers

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Odd question, but is your girlfriend a member of Mid-South Velosters on Facebook? If not someone there has a NAV that looks almost identical to hers[

We ain't members of any Veloster clubs. I finished her car like that in August 2017. She bought it in July 4th. I immediately ordered all the stuff and did her NAV up. Never seen another Veloster done up like hers before. It just came to me in a dream.lol. She wanted a white and black themed Veloster. Now my blue VT R Spec is a little harder for me to dream up. Was going to go with white raceing stripe down the middle front and rear. Blue and white does pop. But I decided to swap out the stock spoiler for a carbon fiber stock one,front lower CF lip and side skirts useing all real CF. Got the front fog lamps and rear lower reflectors left and I have to maybe do a cheapie, CF wrap the rear valance lower molding strip because no one sells that in real CF. Trying to make my R Spec look a little more factory special?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ok. I see now. The one on Facebook just has the same side Vinyls but that's about it.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Thanks, I was leaning towards the BF's myself.
Consider the BFG A/S vs the sport comps. They will do better in any/all conditions than the sport comps will. Better tread life as well. 245's hook n go pretty good on a tuned VT and I'm sure 255 will do good as well.

Denverveetee can likely elaborate how a 245 does on a 17" wheel on track and through twisted tread life n such.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Consider the BFG A/S vs the sport comps. They will do better in any/all conditions than the sport comps will. Better tread life as well. 245's hook n go pretty good on a tuned VT and I'm sure 255 will do good as well.

Denverveetee can likely elaborate how a 245 does on a 17" wheel on track and through twisted tread life n such.
Great info guys. Looks like it will be the AS ones. In fact they even cheaper that the sport ones. I'll be ordering a full set in FEB. Since their all season tires, I might sell her stock NAV rims and tires?

·
Registered
199 Posts
yammy, personally I did the BFG Pro-Comp 2 on my 17"x8" Wheels.
I think they're great, but only have a few months on them (so I can't speak to tread life).
I think that i was able to get them to put the 245s, not the 255s on to save a few bucks, but I forget honestly.

I get too much snow where I'm at, so I need winter tires. That's what I'm using the OEM wheels for currently, but if I can find a cheap set of steelies and decent winter tires, I'll move that way.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
The A/S do good in snow when aired down some to give them a little more flex and good in the twisties when aired up closer to max sidewall psi for less flex. I've taken my 225's to mid 8's in 1/8 mile so I'm sure a 245 or 255 will do much better traction wise. I've tested 245's at 250+ wtq and they may spin 1-2 revolutions until rubber cleans off then they hook n go. It's more of a controlled spin tire vs a dead hook tire. When you use a tire that is more of a dead hook it's a lot harder on axles/drivetrane.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The A/S do good in snow when aired down some to give them a little more flex and good in the twisties when aired up closer to max sidewall psi for less flex. I've taken my 225's to mid 8's in 1/8 mile so I'm sure a 245 or 255 will do much better traction wise. I've tested 245's at 250+ wtq and they may spin 1-2 revolutions until rubber cleans off then they hook n go. It's more of a controlled spin tire vs a dead hook tire. When you use a tire that is more of a dead hook it's a lot harder on axles/drivetrane.
Good info. but I honestly don't do drag races with this car. Im more of the roll on and high speed drag racer if im challanged and even then I did not buy this VT for that. I don't want to tear up the drive train components. Im into the tight twisty turns where I live and this VT shines in that area with the syspension and frame mods that we all do. For drag races ill use my FZ10,lol.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Good info. but I honestly don't do drag races with this car. Im more of the roll on and high speed drag racer if im challanged and even then I did not buy this VT for that. I don't want to tear up the drive train components. Im into the tight twisty turns where I live and this VT shines in that area with the syspension and frame mods that we all do. For drag races ill use my FZ10,lol.
I just made the drag strip reference to have a measurable traction reference. For the twisted you need good traction especially coming out of corners. Also you will keep the tires warm and cleaned off in the twisties. The tire will also jeep your drivetrane safe while providing much better traction.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well i have had the hankooks and i currently have the conti extreme contact dws and the conti is a better tire. better cornering quieter far better in the rain which is a plus considering how lite out cars arei have had three sets and get about 40,000 on average. i have had bf goodrich but took them back in about two days they suck in rain not to good in hard lane switchs or corners . for the extra money spent the conti's are worth every penney. if your looking for a particular performance feature check the test drive videos on tire rack it may help you decide .good luck

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Well i have had the hankooks and i currently have the conti extreme contact dws and the conti is a better tire. better cornering quieter far better in the rain which is a plus considering how lite out cars arei have had three sets and get about 40,000 on average. i have had bf goodrich but took them back in about two days they suck in rain not to good in hard lane switchs or corners . for the extra money spent the conti's are worth every penney. if your looking for a particular performance feature check the test drive videos on tire rack it may help you decide .good luck
Which BFG and what tire size? The A/S do not perform like you describe compared to the tires you mention when sized correctly and proper air pressure used.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went on the tire rack site and I read all the opinions on peoples cars who are useing the BF Comp-2 A/S tires and I say that 98% would buy another set and are pretty impressed with them for the price also. I was only concerend with the agressive drivers of sports cars and passed reading on old fart SUV's,LOL. Im convinced that these are for me. Now Im going back and forth with two sizes at all four corners ,235-45-17 or the 255-40-17 sizes? I just emailed Pierce motor sports for their opinion,LOl. Just wondering if the 17X8" rim will pinch the 255-40 tire and not use all the thread on it? That is why I might go to the 235-45 tires which is recommended for a 8" wide minimum rim and the 255 tire is recommended for a 8.5" minimum rim.. Got two weeks to decide before I order them. Getting also frustrated because my CAI from 6Th is still back ordered and my cat back from CNT is STILL back ordered since 11-5-17,ARGGGG. Probably gonna have to wait till march some time to get dyno tuned waiting for this stuff.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I went on the tire rack site and I read all the opinions on peoples cars who are useing the BF Comp-2 A/S tires and I say that 98% would buy another set and are pretty impressed with them for the price also. I was only concerend with the agressive drivers of sports cars and passed reading on old fart SUV's,LOL. Im convinced that these are for me. Now Im going back and forth with two sizes at all four corners ,235-45-17 or the 255-40-17 sizes? I just emailed Pierce motor sports for their opinion,LOl. Just wondering if the 17X8" rim will pinch the 255-40 tire and not use all the thread on it? That is why I might go to the 235-45 tires which is recommended for a 8" wide minimum rim and the 255 tire is recommended for a 8.5" minimum rim.. Got two weeks to decide before I order them. Getting also frustrated because my CAI from 6Th is still back ordered and my cat back from CNT is STILL back ordered since 11-5-17,ARGGGG. Probably gonna have to wait till march some time to get dyno tuned waiting for this stuff.
215-225 is good for stock 7.5"
235-245 is good for 8"
255 for 8.5"

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
215-225 is good for stock 7.5"
235-245 is good for 8"
255 for 8.5"
Jim pierce at Pierce motosports emailed me back and said they use the 235 on their challenge series and recommended I use this size as the best for all around performance considering the weight and hp of the Veloster.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've run V12 Evo 2's on a couple of cars. I'm in GA as well and run them year round. I'm planning on getting a set for my VT.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Okay I finally got my BF sport comp A/S tires installed on my new rims. Recap, 17X8 +45 rims. BF Sport comp A/S tires in 235-45-17 size. Each tire and new rim set up is 3.5 lbs lighter than the stock set up according to my bath room scale.Was hopeing for at least 5-6lbs less, oh well,LOL. They shipped the 255-40-17 tires by mistake and im glad I did not put them on my +45 off set rims as they definitly would have poked out maybe to much. These 235-45-17's are just about flush. Now I love the look of my new rims, lug nuts and tires and how they make the brak rotors and calipers look more beefy with the smaller diameter 17" rims.,BUT I noticed after my quick run to get dinner tonight with the little woman the steering felt lighter at first and the handeling to me felt a little more loose or squirley. I did not check the PSI in the tires when I installed them.So I was doing about 70MPH on a long sweeper type turn and it seems the VT kinda wanders ever so slightly. But as far as noise the BF A/S is a little more noisier, but that don't matter after the new exhaust going on this weekend,LOL. The ride is definitly more supple, actually nice. But the the steering input was better on the stock tires. Maybe its because they are 45 ratio ? So any way when I got home I checked the tire pressures and considering I did a hot lap around the curvey roads a little bit my tires were a little warm when I parked her. Well the pressures were 40PSI in all four tires. The side wall says on these BF A/S tires is maximum of 50PSI unlike the stock ones at 44psi. So do I need to put in a little more air in the new 235-45-17's? Or just get use to the less responsive steering in put? When I rock my girlfriends 2017 NAV with the 18's back and forth is rocks alot less than when I do the same on my VT, you can see the side walls of the BG G'S move side to side alot more.Also I guess new tires need to scuff in after a bit of driveing. So here are some pic's of my new set up. new vt rims 1.jpg new vt rims  2.jpg new vt rims 3.jpg new vt rims 4.jpg

1 - 20 of 27 Posts