1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this on the NAV forum:
Vehicle Hyundai veloster Car Center console Hyundai

Found a used 80GB Western Digital on Amazon for $7.99, hook it up to this:
Newegg.com - APRICORN ASW-USB-25 USB 2.0 to SATA Adapter
Retails for $18.99, comes with $5 mail in rebate and a promo code for 20% off, taking it to just over $10 at the bottom line.
Coupon code is EMCJNHG244 and will expire.

Thought this might be useful.

·
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm planning on hiding the box and cables as much as I can.
I'll post pics of course once it's done. Figured it can't hurt to try for all in all under $25 and having 80gb.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
what I keep wondering is is there a chance that the back of the head unit has a usb plug? if not what about taking the dash apart.. getting a Y usb splitter and having one mounted like stock and one just hanging inside the dash hook up the hard drive and mount it

·
Registered
250 Posts
I got a 64GB jump drive and it costs about 40... you dont have to worry about enclosure or vibration. Plus also you'd have to ensure the power usage on the hard drive is low, or else it might not even work. If you're going with the adapter, get a solid state hard drive instead so you dont have to worry about the vibration corrupting the data on your drive.

·
Registered
193 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Do you know if I can hook HDMI up to it? That way I can hook up my phone and watch Netflix.
Looks like they are only using to play music. What about videos too? Would need something to "play" the various file types.

I am considering this...

Micca Store : $28.95 - Micca MPLAY Digital Media Player For USB Drives and Flash Cards

Then I can hook up any type storage media, and it outputs to RCA, and its tiny, and it supports almost all the current media formats. Should install and hide away easy too.

View attachment 1407

·
Registered
193 Posts
Do you know if I can hook HDMI up to it? That way I can hook up my phone and watch Netflix.
From their site, the link is above, "Play media files from USB hard drives, USB flash drives, or SD/SDHC/MMC flash cards". So I'm saying no to HDMI input. However, if youre on a newer iPhone, you can already watch netflix & youtube videos on the V with the iPhone-data-out--to-RCA cable. There's plenty of discussion about that on the veloster.org site.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts