Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a Borla S Type Axle-Back Exhaust System and since the day of installation,but there is an obnoxious whistling in the 5K+ RPMs.

Here is a link to the video of what it sounds like. Please any help is appreciated.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,428 Posts
What other mods on the car? Can't tell by the video what the issue is. I'd start by making sure everything on the exhaust is tight and secure and NVH free as possible. Sometimes this means losing then tighten everything and possibly get new exhaust hangers. Also be sure no boost leaks or possibly get the car to the same rpm area at much lower boost levels to help determine if it may be exhaust related or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What other mods on the car? Can't tell by the video what the issue is. I'd start by making sure everything on the exhaust is tight and secure and NVH free as possible. Sometimes this means losing then tighten everything and possibly get new exhaust hangers. Also be sure no boost leaks or possibly get the car to the same rpm area at much lower boost levels to help determine if it may be exhaust related or not.
I took it to my nearest service center. But no the car only has the exhaust and that's it. Its pretty consistent though. It only happens at 5000+ rpms and will stop when it up shifts or in general below 5k

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,428 Posts
Take it through the 5k+ rpm area in low boost or vacuum to see if the noise is there. Even rev the car in P. This may help eliminate a boost leak possible. Also if you can locate the direction the noise comes from will help.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I highly respect Borla products and think that's a great mod for any car. If you can't figure it out, you may be able to contact them for some assistance, or at least to see if anyone else has reported this issue.
Without further diagnosis, my best guess would be that the change in the exhaust has altered the harmonics as the exhaust fumes are pushed through the new pipes. This can sometimes cause distortions that may sound like a whistling or ringing sound. It might be good to make sure there are no mounting points that aren't insulated from sound or touching other solid parts. Best of luck, Hope you find the cause.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I highly respect Borla products and think that's a great mod for any car. If you can't figure it out, you may be able to contact them for some assistance, or at least to see if anyone else has reported this issue.
Without further diagnosis, my best guess would be that the change in the exhaust has altered the harmonics as the exhaust fumes are pushed through the new pipes. This can sometimes cause distortions that may sound like a whistling or ringing sound. It might be good to make sure there are no mounting points that aren't insulated from sound or touching other solid parts. Best of luck, Hope you find the cause.
Talked to Borla and Hyundai, they said they don't hear anything out of the ordinary. It is probably an exhaust leak so oh well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Did you install the Borla exhaust yourself or take it to someone else? I would think that a good local exhaust shop should be able to find a leak large enough to make a whistle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I recommend you take it to a good exhaust shop. They should be able to find a leak quickly and shouldn't charge much.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Installed a Borla S Type Axle-Back Exhaust System and since the day of installation,but there is an obnoxious whistling in the 5K+ RPMs.

Here is a link to the video of what it sounds like. Please any help is appreciated.
I have this exhaust too, and at least for me it seemed like the angle of the flange where it bolts to the rest of the exhaust was off. It's really obvious it was made more for the NA veloster, but borla says it works with the Turbo. It does...but to get the exhaust flanges mated up well, it really tilts the exhaust up in a way that for me doesn't even hang on one of my hangers - it pushes the hanger up. I'd just make sure the flanges are mated well and if they are, wouldn't worry about it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts