Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried 235/40/18 tires on stock wheels or 18x7.5?

Or any opinions on this setup besides its 8mm higher and -2.48% speed reading.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Actually the speed would go up with that size. Its 40% of 235 rather than 40% of 215. It'll be wider and a little taller (you won't even notice the lift maybe).

Besides, 235 rim width range is 8" to a 9.5". It shouldn't be mounted on a 18x7.5. If you really want to go with a 235 then you would have to step up the ratio to a 45 (235/45R18). but then the tire would be a lot taller and you might have a clearance issue. Then it would be recommended to get an alignment and the VT wouldn't drive the same. I don't know if it'll be better or worse but I wouldn't go that route. It wouldn't look the same. You would be able to tell its a fatter tire on it.

The widest you can go with a ratio of 40 (which I would stick with) is a 225.

OR you could buy 18x8 rims and go with 235/40R18 but like I said it would almost be a totally different ride. The veloster was meant to drive on how it is stock. Unless you are going to do a lot of footwork such as wider rims, wider tire, camber offset and suspension work and all that, I'd would just stick with either a 225/40R18 or the good ol' 215/40R18.

·
Registered
332 Posts
MyDianaZo6 have you read my PM of 11th Feb?

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
Actually with making a choice of a 225/40 /18 tire you will find a lot more variety and brands

not to mention that the prices are seeming lower than the 215/40/18 tires which I feel is

due to the larger amount of the 225/40/18 tires being produced. You know it's all about

supply and demand.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I want to go 235 at least as well, but after getting 8" wheels. Went to 225 on the stock ones.

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
When these original tires wear out I definitely intend to get 225/40/18 tires. I look forward to

one of the added benefits, of this slightly larger tire, of a more accurate speedometer reading.

·
Registered
484 Posts
i ordered a 225 40 18 at discount tire direct...they were OOS so they offered me a 235 40 18 and said it would fit...it was the only all season tire in stock that would fit my car he said...am I screwed? He price matched at $10 a piece...

·
Registered
458 Posts
It's not recommended with the stock 7.5" rim, but they'll work. You will get some rubbing on the front inside fender liners at full lock. I ran that setup for 20K miles before getting new wider wheels. I didn't notice any ware issues by doing it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
i plan to mount it on xxr 530 (18x7.5) +38...does that make any difference?
I'm no wheel expert, but I believe the 38 offset will help related to rubbing or not compared to the stock rims. I'm sure one of our resident wheel experts will chime in shortly.

·
Registered
484 Posts
yes lol I hope the offset will offset the rubbing (haha!)

right now, im running 225 45 18 on stock rims and get slight rubbing on the inside fender line at around 20 degrees turn of the steering wheel...

·
Registered
484 Posts
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hyundai veloster Hyundai
well, since no one replied, I just went ahead and did it. It rubs on full lock but it shouldn't be too big of a deal

·
Registered
484 Posts
Not much difference but definately feels more planted and smooth. But it could be bc 2 of my stock wheels were bent. In terms of road bumps, its about the same

·
Registered
484 Posts
I used to have a 225/45/18, and went to 235/40/18. Not too much different in terms of ride quality, but it feels a bit more planted and smooth.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts