Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Head Unit 5.1.68 Update - Navigation and Non-navigation files and instructions.

Hello All-

I've seen the issue floating around the forums and a few of the V/VT facebook pages that a lots of us are running into Bluetooth issues with iDevices running iOS 8 / equivalent Android OS (sorry, I'm an Apple Fanboy). After some research, there is a TSB out for the 2015 Velosters to update them to head unit software 5.1.68. BUT- according to the TSB, it is for the 2015 model year only.

Side note- I live in the UK, with an American VT (I'm military / Uncle Sam sent me here). Because of this, I couldn't get any help from the dealers here locally, and needless to say my dealer in the states can't do anything with a car that's ~4000 miles away. My stateside dealer did provide me with a copy of the TSB, with zero promises that it would fix my problems or even work on my car since its a 2013, and this TSB is supposedly for 2015's only.

Here's a copy of the TSB-

View attachment Veloster Radio Update TSB.pdf

After looking the TSB over, I realized that the "Model" of my radio is the same as 2015 VT's radio. So I figured "What the hell... let's figure out how to do this!!!"

This led me to needing a "part" (USB stick with the required update files so the radio can update itself). After a little googling I found a dealer that has on online parts dept and was able to order it from them for $12 (and almost triple that in shipping- damn you England!!!) Part number for me (NON-Navigation radio) is 96560-LGA15. Part number for the Navigation Radio's is 96560-LGN15.

After receiving that USB stick, I hooked my car up to a battery maintainer (just to be sure it wouldn't die during the update) and followed the TSB's instructions. Low and behold, it worked just fine. It took about 40 minutes, but its working great.

Issues that this update fixed-
1) Randomly getting stuck at "Initializing Bluetooth Handsfree" (this had to be fixed with the reset button)
2) Random Bluetooth Disconnects
3) Bluetooth Disconnect from skipping songs too fast
4) Restored Pandora Functionality (Mine stopped working with iOS 9, don't know about other people)
5) Noticeably Better (but still not fantastic) streaming BT Audio Quality
6) My contacts sync correctly to the Head Unit now (before it was a 50/50 shot)
7) Head unit no longer "hangs" for a few seconds randomly.
8) Bluetooth Audio automatically starts again after ending a call (this was weird for me, some apps would do it and others not, but now they all do)

New Things-
1) On the Bluetooth Audio page, you now get Artist as well as Song Title (WooHoo!!!)
2) AVC (Auto Volume Control - Based off of engine speed for M/T, vehicle speed for A/T, don't know why they made it different, but they did) actually f**king does something now!!!

Possible Problems-
I know the 2015's have Active Sound Design, my 2013 doesn't. I don't know if now maybe the H/U will now try to make "vroom-vroom" noises, but its been noted in other threads that there's physical wiring under the passenger seat (where the factory amplifier is) that is related to ASD. For those of us with subwoofers, its a fantastic idea to disable this. The fake engine noise apparently becomes extremely loud if you install subs. My car is NOT acting like it has ASD now. Just saying, that this is a possible problem that some people may run into, based off of whether you have ASD from the factory or not.

Here's the awesome part-
I decided to make a .iso image of the update drive and post it to my google drive and dropbox. I'll share it here in the hopes that it'll help someone, because my bluetooth issues had me ready to put a fire-axe through my head unit.

**Disclaimers**
1) I'm not responsible if this destroys your head units functionality, it explodes, aliens attack, the CIA/NSA/Homeland Security begins monitoring you through your head unit... etc etc.
2) This is just an image file of the update for NON-Navigation Dimension Head units!!! NON-NAVIGATION!!!! You WILL cause damage to your head unit if you try to install this to your Navigation Head Unit!!!
We now have the files and links for both Navi and Non-Navi radios. See below. DO NOT USE THE WRONG ONE!!!
3) This update is intended for US-Spec / USDM Veloster Turbo's! I have ZERO idea of what will happen if applied to a radio from another region, and I accept ZERO responsibility if it messes something up!

Links to .iso file for Non-Navigation:
1) Google Drive - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3KFU6s7_69wd1ZMUE9SX1ZGeEE

2) Dropbox - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ddh84l2mb0l4w5e/Drive_Hv2.iso?dl=0

**Links updated** You shouldn't need to copy the contents of the H folder to the root of the drive anymore.

Links to .iso file for Navigation:

1) https://www.dropbox.com/s/pu53j7r1dfjz657/96560-LGN15.iso?dl=0

If anyone would like to cross post this to a file-share of your own, I give permission so long as you share the link here as well.

Lastly, if anyone needs help with using a .iso file to create your own update USB stick, first YouTube it, and then feel free to shoot me a PM. Just remember, I'm in the UK so (probably) a few hours ahead of most of you.

Enjoy!

**UPDATE 1**
When you've imaged the .iso to a drive, make sure the contents of the "H" folder are on the root of the drive. Depending on the method/program you used to extract the .iso, this may or may not happen automatically. **this should be fixed with the links above**

Hyundai uses a 4GB Sandisk Cruzer Micro to do the update. I'd recommend you use something similar. The total size for the update files is about 1.3GB, but there needs to be some extra space on the drive. The radio will create .temp files it uses during the update process.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Great find. This will be helpful. Worst case for us, just take the car to a dealer to get fixed if the update fails

I will upload a copy to my Google Drive as well as the Facebook group that I manage

The .iso's are uploaded to my Google Drive

non-navigation .iso
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B80ucGs3QNY8Q2NmZVZQOGttS0E

navigation .iso
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B80ucGs3QNY8azE0M0VfdHBLalE

And I created a document on a Facebook group too.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1063430727048939/

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe some of the people modding/hacking the head unit software could find what's making this software version work so well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder if it's something as simple as Bluetooth Protocol support... Did they add BT 4.0 support? Maybe just a new profile (A2DP etc) I haven't read up on the mechanics on Bluetooth in a long time. I do know that when I bought the car it was using BT 2.1 to connect to my iPhone 4 at the time. I had that phone jailbroken and running DashCommand with a cheap-o BT OBDII adapter and it wouldn't hold a connection with the OBDII and head unit at the same time since BT 2.1 was so slow.

The audio quality improvement isn't what makes me think they've upped it to at least BT 3.0 but who knows? I'm just happy it doesn't act up anymore.

Reactions: Mr.MattyV

·
Registered
2,949 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Thanks Matty. I will mostly likely get it because I asked my dealer for a software update & they said there was none for my 2013. I will definitely share the file.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well I'm bummed, I downloaded your Iso this morning... and then jumped in the VT to head to work, checked the radio version and I'm already on 5.1.68... Mine is a 2015 that I bought 12/23/14...

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
The .iso size is 1.2GB, so bigger than 1GB
The uncompressed is over 1.3. I happened to have a 1.86gb at home. Perfect fit.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mr.MattyV

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The drive that Hyundai uses is a 4gb Sandisk Cruzer Mini.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Btw make sure the contents of the H folder are moved to the root of the drive.

Reactions: rspec2014

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
This is the single greatest thread on the forum. Bluetooth is fully functional again.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts