Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been searching for a while and cant find a definitive answer. I am waiting for my CNT catless downpipe to get delivered. I want to know if I should or should not put heat wrap on it. I live in central IL so fairly hot and humid for the summer and cold for the winter with a little bit of snow. Currently have Injen CAI and I believe an MBRP Hot pipe? (not sure on the hot pipe. its the thing going into the intercooler under/near the BOV.) Also have the turboxs BOV. I will possibly end up with a CNT catback at some point as well. Again, I just want to know if I should or should not do any kind of heat wrap on the downpipe.

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,790 Posts
I would say no to the heat wrap as it will most likely make the already bad downpipe fail quicker.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
464 Posts
Sure you can, although ceramic coating would be better.
What he said.
Ceramic coating helps the heat stay in as it also helps with corrosion prevention.
Wrapping will trap moisture in the wrap and being up north with all the salt In the winter it's sure to accelerate rusting out.

Wrapping will provide a more efficient insulating of the down pipe and moisture retained by the wrap is its only downfall for longevity Of your piping.

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,790 Posts
Was going to suggest that as a better alternative but did not want the OP to spend that $ on a pipe that may fail anyway.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Mines wrapped in fiberglass header wrap. It won't rust being that as soon as it heats up it evaporates any water, although realistically this area stays relatively dry. The DP has been on since April 2016 and still looks good as new. In fact the whole CNT exhaust still looks great. What are these failures you speak off? j/k
:coffee::geek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the exact same down pipe that you have, a CNT catless resonated down pipe. I ceramic coated and wrapped the pipe. That was about 20k miles ago with 0 issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts