Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off... Hello

I have been shopping for a new car and keep coming back to the veloster turbo.

I have a few questions about the car as I can never leave well enough alone and will (if I get it) be modding it. Now, I will not be doing major mods but will change intake, exhaust, downpipe, suspension and a few other smaller mods.

I have read through several post in the forums and seen where some people have fashioned there own SRI and exhaust work. I realize the aftermarket does not exist right now for this vehicle as its so new but wonder what options there are in the future.

My last car was a 09 speed3 befor that a GTI on both of those vehicles when adding air and flow while reducing restriction ecu managment was needed for the safety of the engine. AFR needed to be monitored and in some cases (speed3) upgraded fuel internals were required.

I read in a post on here there is no MAF??
What have you guys found so far about engine stability with mods??
Any compresser surge with mods or smoke from the turbo??

Thank you for your time I understand these questions can probobly only be answered several months down the road I just know very little about this car as far as internals.

I am not expecting the same performace I got out of the speed3 but I love to "tinker" on my vehicles..... i was set on the focus st but I cant get the image of this car out of my head... the interior I really like and gas milage and many other reasons has me leaning to the veloster turbo.

Thanks again for your time

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Ok, I will try to answer this as complete as possible..

First off though, any turbo vehicle with bolt-ons like SRI/CAI/Exhaust/Turbo manifold is NOT going to require you to monitor the AFRs and upgrade fuel components.

The only time you are going to need to worry about fuel tuning is if you are upping the boost pressure, upgrading the turbo or ADDING power. With the bolt-ons you are just freeing up restrictions to streamline the airflow, not enough to require any AFR monitoring or fuel tuning.

The car is VERY new so there hasn't been much time to see how the car responds to certain mods or if they have a negative effect.

I probably have one of the highest mileage VTurbos and with the most mods and have had zero problems and do not expect to have any in the future with the mods.

Logging through the torque app (granted stock sensor is narrowband) the AFR ratios with the exhaust and SRI are still VERY rich at WOT. Showing 10.3:1 via the app.

Regarding compressor surge, the turbo does have a weird sound under high rpm/full boost which sounds like it is running out of breath. I don't know if this is due to how the WG bleeds off boost or what.

No smoke that I know of. definitely not enough smoke to see from inside the car under high boost shifting, even with no muffler.

Regarding the 'downpipe' on this car.. It will be VERY hard to change I think because of the turbo location. The cat is integrated into the downpipe and the o2 housing looks pretty funky. I don't see an aftermarket piece being available for a while.

What I can tell you so far about the car with the mods that I have (SRI, BOV, Muffler removed and replaced with straight pipe, lowering springs) is the car is quick enough to have much fun in but it is no SRT-4/Speed3/Focus ST in terms of speed. The car is very good on gas, if you drive it that way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I will try to answer this as complete as possible..

First off though, any turbo vehicle with bolt-ons like SRI/CAI/Exhaust/Turbo manifold is NOT going to require you to monitor the AFRs and upgrade fuel components.

The only time you are going to need to worry about fuel tuning is if you are upping the boost pressure, upgrading the turbo or ADDING power. With the bolt-ons you are just freeing up restrictions to streamline the airflow, not enough to require any AFR monitoring or fuel tuning.
Hey thank you for response and info. I ask about the ecu with bolt-ons because with my speed3 the bolt-ons and free flow exhaust allowed spikes (increased pressure) without adjusting turbo pressure at all... this plagued many early speed3's and may be just an issue with the ko4 mazda config. I had to use ecu management to keep things in check so as not to blow seals with a large spike.

The above is unlikley in most cases but I readily admit to being a worry wart about engine stability which is counterproductive to modding but its the way I am... better safe than sorry if I can.

I did not notice does the Veloster turbo come with any boost gauge?

Thanks again and nice work on your car so far Turbosocks

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
no boost gauge but if you get one of the mini ELM bluetooh OBD II dongles and have a droid, you can view all of your gauges!

·
Registered
375 Posts
i know exactly what you mean. i looked at probably 10 different cars and i kept coming back to the veloster. i am currently awaiting mine. as it should be here very soon.

First off... Hello

I have been shopping for a new car and keep coming back to the veloster turbo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts