Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: Solved. Problem wasn't with the Injen, but with me not reading the instructions clearly. I feel shame.

So I'm trying to install an Injen SRI in my VT and I'm running into a huge problem. After fitting the SRI in the engine bay, there is no room for the filter (either the Injen filter or the Spectre filter that I have). I've tried wiggling, pushing, shoving, pleading, adjusting, and nothing has worked. It's like the end of it is pointed right at the plastic cover for what I think is part of the intercooler (the part that says "Turbo" on it).

Has anyone else run into this problem? Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Pictures are broken for me but I will say that the thing that says "Turbo" is actually part of the oem airbox resonator and you could actually just remove that if you wanted to and that might free up some room.

Also make sure everything is pushed onto the turbo completely.

·
Registered
458 Posts
What sixspeed said. Remove the piece that says turbo on it. It's got a couple clips on the top that come out. Push in the middle and lift those two clips / fasteners out. Then just pull that hole piece out. There's no other fasteners I believe.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep. I'm an idiot. Didn't look at the installation instructions completely. You definitely need to remove the air intake box with "Turbo" on it. Thanks guys.

At this point, I suppose this thread can remain as a tribute to idiocy, or a mod can delete it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yep. I'm an idiot. Didn't look at the installation instructions completely. You definitely need to remove the air intake box with "Turbo" on it. Thanks guys.

At this point, I suppose this thread can remain as a tribute to idiocy, or a mod can delete it.
No big deal man, we're all here to learn.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Some hindsight thoughts for anyone stumbling upon this: If you're transitioning from the DIY SRI to an Injen or similar, you look at the instructions and think "great! I've got all of the stock airbox out already. This should be easy!". However, the DIY SRI does not include removing the "Turbo" air box resonator, so I completely missed the removal of that part in the instructions. Moral of the story: read installation instructions completely.

Also, I totally destroyed the clips holding the "Turbo" air box resonator down. How easy is it to replace those at some point if I ever decide to trade/sell my VT years down the road?

·
Banned
3,048 Posts
Looks good though :crazy:

·
Registered
53 Posts
EDIT: Solved. Problem wasn't with the Injen, but with me not reading the instructions clearly. I feel shame.

So I'm trying to install an Injen SRI in my VT and I'm running into a huge problem. After fitting the SRI in the engine bay, there is no room for the filter (either the Injen filter or the Spectre filter that I have). I've tried wiggling, pushing, shoving, pleading, adjusting, and nothing has worked. It's like the end of it is pointed right at the plastic cover for what I think is part of the intercooler (the part that says "Turbo" on it).

Has anyone else run into this problem? Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be much appreciated.

Do you like the sound with this? I'm really leaning towards the Injen SRI. I would do it soon, but still winter uo here and I have nowhere warm to install.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Do you like the sound with this? I'm really leaning towards the Injen SRI. I would do it soon, but still winter uo here and I have nowhere warm to install.
afraid to go outside for a 10min install! :crazy:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I installed it yesterday and fired up the car, but I haven't driven it yet. I'll be doing that today and I'll report back. From what I can tell so far, it sounds a lot like the DIY SRI. Basically, loud, whooshing, awesome noises coming from up there. More to come later today.

afraid to go outside for a 10min install! :crazy:
Exactly. It took me about 20 minutes totally because of my not-reading-directions problem, but it was a quick and easy install. And while I was in an unheated, separated garage, it was still 32 degrees and windy here yesterday. If you have the money and you want to throw an intake in there, don't be discouraged by winter.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I installed it yesterday and fired up the car, but I haven't driven it yet. I'll be doing that today and I'll report back. From what I can tell so far, it sounds a lot like the DIY SRI. Basically, loud, whooshing, awesome noises coming from up there. More to come later today.

Exactly. It took me about 20 minutes totally because of my not-reading-directions problem, but it was a quick and easy install. And while I was in an unheated, separated garage, it was still 32 degrees and windy here yesterday. If you have the money and you want to throw an intake in there, don't be discouraged by winter.
Its been -10 Celisus or so lately, looking at a bit colder tomorrow. All I have is an open parking lot as I live in a condo. Would it only take 20 minutes even for a newbie? Its been about 6 years since I've installed something like this. I usually get a garage to do things as I don't have most tools, though I should have the correct ones for this.

Also, it is safe to have an air intake installed during the winter?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took some time to drive the VT today with the new Injen SRI.

First of all, the Injen sounds almost identical to the DIY SRI mod. So if you want a good idea of how a short ram intake sounds in the VT, but you don't want to spend $100+ to find out it's too loud, do the $30 DIY version first to get a good idea of what you're in for. I'd say the Injen sounds a bit better and more "refined" than the DIY version, but otherwise not much different.

As far as installing go, here's what you'd be doing: http://www.injen.com/galleries/products/7220131049IS1341.pdf You need a ratchet, 8mm socket, 10mm socket, a ratchet extension, a pair of pliers, and a flat head and phillips screwdriver. Even with very little experience, you can probably have this done in 20 minutes or so. Ask around to see if you can borrow a friend or family member's garage if you're worried about doing this outdoors or without the necessary tools.

For the question of is it safe to have an air intake installed during winter, I'm not an expert by any means, but I can't think of a single reason why it wouldn't be safe to install or run an intake during the winter. If anything, the intake will just accentuate the benefits of having nice cool air going to the turbo during the winter months.

·
Registered
11,490 Posts
Mine is on order, got it for a good price from Auto Anything. Just looking into somewhere with a heated garage to do the install.
If your just going with the SRI you can do it outdoors. Just keep going in to defrost the fingers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
so, I am new to all of this. How much does the INjun run for, and how much would you say it increases performance. Would love to install something like this, but this is my first car I have actually been interested in doing something with, so complete rookie.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
so, I am new to all of this. How much does the INjun run for, and how much would you say it increases performance. Would love to install something like this, but this is my first car I have actually been interested in doing something with, so complete rookie.

Hello sir. Go to the search bar, type intakes or SRI or CAI. Thers plenty of information previously posted on the subject. Some of the vendors also sell excellent quality intakes (845 Motorsports, Turbosocks)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts