Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for some answers and going to give as much info as possible. about 2 weeks ago, i was getting off work and started my car to let it warm up. while standing on the outside of the car, i heard it idle really weird like it was stumbling. well I began to drive it home and noticed it felt a little under powered,but pulled strong. as the day gone on, the car was getting worse. i was running errands then i threw a cel. got it read at advance to the tune of my car was running lean (two codes said the same thing like at idle and i can't remember them off hand sorry) the car was obviously running pig rich at idle. the smell would burn your eyes!! black smoke accompanied this. took the advice of a friend and poured some octane booster thinking i got some bad gas. well a day and half later, the car returned to normal idle and seemed to drive okay. i went on vacation for 6 days and the car sat at the airport. drove it home and it was fine. well the other day, i decided to go WOT and hesitation and backfiring started.pulled the plugs and they were a rusty color(probably from the octane booster?) the gap remained the same as they was before. they are 1422's. mods are in my sig. now the reason i suspected bad gas is because the car was running great and pulling hard with issues, then out of nowhere with a full tank about a day after i filled up, this happens. going to replace my plugs tomorrow(i should be able to get a refund on them at o'reilly and purchase another set.they did the same when i cracked a plug in my c5zo6) and hopefully the car will be better. anything i could be missing??? possible bad pump in the tank??

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
p2191 and p2187 were the codes

·
Registered
511 Posts
If you didn't look those codes up this is what they supposedly mean. Doesn't mean you have all of these issues, just a list of potential candidates.

P2187
- Leaking fuel injector or pressure regulator
- High fuel pressure condition
- Faulty front HO2S
- Leak in exhaust system
- MAF sensor faulty

p2191
Leaking fuel injector or pressure regulator
- Faulty Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor
- High fuel pressure condition
- Faulty front HO2S
- Leak in exhaust system
- Faulty PCV system

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Start with inspecting the front O2 sensor. Don't you have Torque Pro? You can check the sensor voltage to get a preliminary status of it.

"Pig rich at idle" is why I'm targeting the front O2 sensor first.

Another easy check is the PCV valve.
i don't have the torque app anymore phone got wiped.what should the voltage be?? and i have a catch can from tork and to be honest, had a little trouble locating the PCV when this first happend lol...embarrassed lol

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sounds like what my car did when I forgot to put that map sensor back in before starting it

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like what my car did when I forgot to put that map sensor back in before starting it

did it clear up on it's own?? my car still back fires and stumbles....idles fine and no running rich though.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well I just put the map sensor back in and it was fine :3

·
Registered
533 Posts
Start by checking your 02 sensor, if replacing it doesnt do the trick, i would get the torque app back and pull a datalog at idle and one under throttle when the problem is occurring. Does either sound like its an o2 sensor or a fueling issue. Your in tank pump could be shot too. Anyways, if it persists and you get a good datalog of it happening send it over to [email protected] and we can take a look to see where we are seeing the issue and hopefully get to the bottom of it
Tyson

·
Registered
153 Posts
What was the conclusion to this? I have a p2191 right now. I've used my Ultragauge to clear it twice, and it just comes back. Took it to Hyundai and they tested the fuel pressure and said that was fine.
They won't run any more tests because I have too many aftermarket parts. Any ideas? Below is a list of the mods causing Hyundai to not look at it any further.
I checked the PCV valve, and all of my catch can connections before I cleared the code the first time.

Beast mode intake
Updated MAP sensor
MBRP cat back exhaust
SXTH hot pipe
XE cold pipe
60mm throttle body upgrade
Catch can on the PCV side

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
What was the conclusion to this? I have a p2191 right now. I've used my Ultragauge to clear it twice, and it just comes back. Took it to Hyundai and they tested the fuel pressure and said that was fine.
They won't run any more tests because I have too many aftermarket parts. Any ideas? Below is a list of the mods causing Hyundai to not look at it any further.
I checked the PCV valve, and all of my catch can connections before I cleared the code the first time.

Beast mode intake
Updated MAP sensor
MBRP cat back exhaust
SXTH hot pipe
XE cold pipe
60mm throttle body upgrade
Catch can on the PCV side

I would remove catch cans & replace pcv valve if it hasn't been changed in the last 10k-15k- miles

·
Registered
153 Posts
The dealer wouldn't do any more looking until I returned the intake to factory so I did. Removed catch cans and rerouted them back they way the were, removed the beastmode intake and went back to the factory box. Took it for a spin on the interstate and the horsepower was definitely lower but no code returned. I was content to live with it for a little while.

Then, yesterday, on the interstate she went into limp mode without a check engine light. Limped her home and checked for codes. Now I've got the P0191. WTF

·
Registered
153 Posts
Are you able to log fuel rail pressure on hard throttle? Sounds like the classic binding fuel line issue.
I have checked it a few times. The limp mode issue was the only time it was low. This morning I was heading to the shop and it ran fine. The P0191 was gone and the P2191 was back. I drove it a couple of times until the light came back on and took it in. The shop logged fuel rail pressure for several runs as well and determined it was normal.
They tested what they could today and checked the fuel. A lot of deposits and they said it was about 20-25% ethanol. They said to run the fuel out and fill up with 87 or 89 from Shell or Valero. If the code comes back, bring it back to them.
The guy told me this has their whole shop baffled along with everyone at Hyundai Techline. They finally said that the intake was not the cause and I could put it back on.
So I'm still here with a 4 cylinder getting about 20mpg and a CEL that nobody at Hyundai can figure out.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Most likely causes if no leaks or faulty wiring or connections will be the fuel pump/s, fuel line(low pressure side), or the fuel rail pressure sensor.

I had a guy who had this issue that was highly modded and it ended up being the fuel rail pressure sensor causing the same codes you have.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm using my Ultragauge to check things, not relying on Hyundai Techs alone. I still think it's a bad O2 sensor, but they disagree. Here's a shot of my ultra gauge at about 75mph pulling a slight hill.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm still playing with the ultragauge to figure out how to log data and how to share it. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
153 Posts
And now my favorite thing about car issues. I reset the CEL Tuesday evening and it hasn't come back. I just now filled up with 87 octane from Shell. That's the first non-93 gas in her for the last year. We'll see how this goes and how long the CEL stays gone.

·
Registered
153 Posts
So I guess my issue was just bad gas... wtf? Or that fuel injector cleaner worked.

·
Registered
124 Posts
And now my favorite thing about car issues. I reset the CEL Tuesday evening and it hasn't come back. I just now filled up with 87 octane from Shell. That's the first non-93 gas in her for the last year. We'll see how this goes and how long the CEL stays gone.

Interesting. I'm the other way with this. Once I filled 87 into it, it ran like sht, backfiring and like there was no turbo attached. But I did get bad gas before, I actually avoid certain gas stations now. VT Turbos are very picky with gas, like high maintenance girlfriends. I'm also planning some de-carbonization via seafoam or similar, did that last year the first time, the whole street thought my car was on fire, smoked so bad lol!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts