Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TEEREX: 2013 "Young Gun" Matte VT S/P

Let me start by saying that this forum is wonderful. Everyone I’ve spoken with has been very nice and mostly helpful, and most graciously tolerant of my newb-like questions as we acclimatize to owning and learning about our sexy-ass VT.
That being said, the list of mods and plans is growing and changing almost daily. We purchased our VT in March and I honestly don’t think the smile has left my wife’s face since she drove the vehicle home and it is her daily driver (DD). She loves the easy feel of the car and its responsiveness, and of course the 200 ponies.

Our immediate challenge with building this car is maintaining the limited warranty we secured when purchasing the vehicle, pre-owned, from a dealership. At the time of purchase, the vehicle had just over 7 years and 70,000 miles left on the factory power-train warranty. So most likely, any mod that could void the warranty will be postponed for now. We will be focusing primarily on the esthetics, handling and stance, some audio/visual, and anything else we can get away with without voiding the warranty. And I am actually excited to see how much improvement we can make above the stock performance without altering the drive train components covered under the warranty: engine, transmission & drivelines. Almost everything else is fair-game. We have some coverage left on audio/visual/entertainment also.

Mod List

Engine
K & N Drop-in air-filter

Exterior
Diode Dynamics LP HP3W 6K, OEM Wheel locks, 5ivefifty Carbon Fiber LP Frame “Happy Wife Happy Life”

Interior
Sedona Grey Dash Cover by DashDesigns, OEM Spare Tire Kit custom integrated with OEM Tire Repair Kit

Near future performance oriented modification will most likely be rigid collars, followed by brake upgrades, more lighting and body component upgrades. More to come, thanks y'all.

Trevor

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Just in case U don't already know this: IF U R the 2nd Owner, U get 1/2 WARR, 5YR - 60K..........that's what I received fm H on my '13 VT..........

BTW: WELCOME!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats! Props to you guys. I wanted the matte gray but was scared off by the cleaning requirements...
We were concerned about keeping up with the Matte too. I can say that so far, it hasn't been bad or problematic. I've found that spot cleaning is important, especially c bird poop and bugs. We just ordered the car care products and are still waiting for delivery. The only 'wash' we've done so far is will plain water and micro-fiber cloth and it's been easy to maintain to date.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm confused. Are you in Australia? How come you have amber reflectors? You actually swapped yours with the North American headlights?
No, not in Australia. In the U.S. - California to be exact.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just in case U don't already know this: IF U R the 2nd Owner, U get 1/2 WARR, 5YR - 60K..........that's what I received fm H on my '13 VT..........

BTW: WELCOME!
Thank you for the WELCOME!! :cool2:

Our warranty is 7 years and 70k miles, plus 3 years on the electronics/audio/visual, and I believe we have some time left on the paint as well. I'd have to double check but can let you know if you want. Let me know.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see. You just didn't want to call yours "matte gray". lol. I can understand that, as I sometimes refer to mine as Blue Ocean. Or sometimes, by it's color code (UU9).
Yes! I was schooled on the color's name when I went to order the touch up paint lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update here. We've been in the home buying process so mods and the budget for mods has been put on hold. I have ordered the rigid collars from Turbosocks and am just waiting for decent weather so we can jack up Pretty in the driveway and get them installed. I'm debating on shooting video on the install but if folks are interested (not that I have a ton of followers or friends here) please let me know and we'll bring out the DSLR and GoPro when we do the install. Just pm or email me.
We are also due for tires and technically will be upgrading. We will be installing Michellin Pilot Sport A/S 3 225/40ZR18 92Y tires. From an upgrade standpoint they are slightly wider and we will be keeping them on the stock rims for now. When I say slightly wider, the stock 215 tire that comes on the VT is 8.46 inches wide and the 225 tire is 8.85, so gaining almost 1/2 on the tire width. We did contemplate going to 235 on the stock rims and elected not to, more so because it was becoming an installation problem. We are having the tires put on at Costco and they will not install them on the car, but would mount and balance them if I brought them just the wheels, which is more than I want to do. Then we'll have the alignment completed at Firestone because we've paid for a lifetime alignment on the VT.
I really hope to have the rigid collars installed by the time we take the car in for tires in about two weeks. I'll do my best to get some pics taken before and after and try to get them to this thread.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey there! Glad you're enjoying your ride! Being aware of your budget for mods, consider adding a rear sway and front strut bar. It would help hugely with along with the rigid collars. Oil catch cans are a must as these engines leave blow by oil residue returning to the turbo and intake manifold. These mods are fundamental however necessary. You wont be disappointed. You will love your "Young Gun" more. LOL!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Hey Teerex, you added me on tumblr recently, under user name VeeTeeMod! Nice to see you on the forums.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey VeeTee! Yes, I just tagged you there in a post this morning. How's your build going? I admittedly use Tumblr for looking at other stuff but have posted a couple of VT pics there. I may post more soon and some video but for now, I'm adding pics and stuff here at the forum. I sent you a friend req -good to see you here!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's some pics of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires we just bought and installed. Purchased them through Costco for right around $750 for 4 tires with the factory warranty in place; had them installed at Firestone because we have lifetime alignment through them and they'll warranty their alignment when you let them install the tires. Mounting, balancing and disposal fee kept the install just under $100. I ordered them at my local Costco's tire center Thursday night, picked them up Friday night, and had 8am appt Saturday morning for installation. I hope all the pics come out well. I'll try to get some more as soon as I can get better angles. These are 225/40 tires on the stock 18" rims and they're the 92Y rated tires. They look and feel great, big improvement over the stock tires that we'd worn down to the wear-bars on all four tires, and the front right was very unevenly worn due to an alignment issue.

The alignment issue is being caused by my Yaw sensor according to Firestone. Firestone's tech says it is giving an intermittent signal causing the alignment to shift. I've made an appt with my Hyundai dealership for 3/7/16 so they can check the issue. The alignment is as good as it can be for now with just a slight pull to the left, nothing that driving on it for two weeks will ruin, but the sooner fixed the better. If anyone has had an issue with this Yaw sensor, I'd love to hear about it. I'll search the forums after I post.

IMG_7141.jpg IMG_7112.jpg IMG_7113.jpg IMG_7114.jpg IMG_7120.jpg IMG_7127.jpg IMG_7128.jpg IMG_7133.jpg IMG_7134.jpg IMG_7136.jpg

1 - 20 of 32 Posts