242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Yes,

G Force Comp C A/S 2, 245 40 18

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Yeah I have the Comp 2 A/S!! Nice. They run wide huh?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I have the Comp 2 A/S!! Nice. They run wide huh?

Yes, love the grip and better ride.

·
Registered
741 Posts
245 tires on a 7.5" wheels probably not a good choice, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Probably better than stretching a tire... I want more sidewall with my next tires. Just for daily comfort. The rubber bands on it hurt my back. And they also don't handle that well anyway

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Probably better than stretching a tire... I want more sidewall with my next tires. Just for daily comfort. The rubber bands on it hurt my back. And they also don't handle that well anyway
These ride much better than OEM and the grip is great on acceleration and cornering is very sure. Researched size and brands extensively and went with these. Guess I could have gone with 235 or 225, but LOVE the look and feel of these. Checked all clearances and just a bit bigger than the 225s I had on. Still plenty of room all around. But each brand is different so do your research. Blessings, Whiz

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
If I understand Greyhound, the concern is that in tires the numbers are xxx/yy R z where x = width, y = sidewall %, z = diameter. A 245 tire is 9.6" wide compared to 8.5" on the 215 stock (8.9" on 225 if you have that), and the 7.5" wheel might not hold the tire if it gets too wide. That being said, it looks like it fits and probably will be fine (and a good installer wouldn't let you install a tire that doesn't fit anyway).
If all you want is a taller sidewall, go from 215/40 R 18 to something like 225/45. For comparison, 215/40 has a 3.5" sidewall, 225/45 is 4".

·
Registered
454 Posts
If I understand Greyhound, the concern is that in tires the numbers are xxx/yy R z where x = width, y = sidewall %, z = diameter. A 245 tire is 9.6" wide compared to 8.5" on the 215 stock (8.9" on 225 if you have that), and the 7.5" wheel might not hold the tire if it gets too wide. That being said, it looks like it fits and probably will be fine (and a good installer wouldn't let you install a tire that doesn't fit anyway).
If all you want is a taller sidewall, go from 215/40 R 18 to something like 225/45. For comparison, 215/40 has a 3.5" sidewall, 225/45 is 4".
Yes. I actually work at a shop that sells tires. I'm not the tire expert among us though. I'll figure it out. Or I'll buy the stock sized Nitto tires we can order. Had some on our 98 eclipse they were so good.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Yes. I actually work at a shop that sells tires. I'm not the tire expert among us though. I'll figure it out. Or I'll buy the stock sized Nitto tires we can order. Had some on our 98 eclipse they were so good.
Holy crap I didn't even notice that you were on stock wheels. My comp 2 all seasons are big on my 9 wide wheels. You can see in this photo just how much they hang over my daily set.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
The sidewall, tire construction, psi, and wheel it's on will all play into the comfort and grip of the tire. His were setup for more comfort while retaining the oem wheel. Grip, handling, mpg, and overall tire service life should be improved as well.

Generally it's good practice to not have a wheel less than 80-85% of the tire width. But you can get away with it in some cases.

The min wheel width for this tire recommended by the manufacturer is 8" fyi. So yes, the oem wheel falls just a little shy. However, by being a little narrow it actually improves the ride comfort of the tire some.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Holy crap I didn't even notice that you were on stock wheels. My comp 2 all seasons are big on my 9 wide wheels. You can see in this photo just how much they hang over my daily set.

Like I said, we tested them for fit and they don't hang over that much. Some tire guides say yes, some say no. BMW does this all the time with their tire set ups. It I feel that it is unsafe, will change. For now, have tested some spirited driving and no issues, only great grip and handling. Thanks for all the concern, I appreciate it. I don't take it lightly. Blessings, Whiz

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like I said, we tested them for fit and they don't hang over that much. Some tire guides say yes, some say no. BMW does this all the time with their tire set ups. It I feel that it is unsafe, will change. For now, have tested some spirited driving and no issues, only great grip and handling. Thanks for all the concern, I appreciate it. I don't take it lightly. Blessings, Whiz

Also did lots of testing on psi. Started at 35 did a full day test at each psi. Moved to 30 then settled on 28. Bit rough at 35, Better at 30. But 28 has best ride plus tire is almost full on tread, so this pulls well and will last longer. MPG is around 35 but probably a few miles more due to size difference. Can't be upset about that! Blessings, Whiz

1 - 15 of 15 Posts