Veloster Turbo Forum banner

Hi all, new to this board, questions on insurance & non turbo vs turbo

4K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  NKY_DIRTTRACKER57 
#1 ·
I fell in love with the Veloster after seeing and test driving a 2012 Black with red interior w style and tech package. The only think that left me was that I felt the car needed more power. Poof - I see there is a Veloster 2013 Turbo!

I have not been able to find one to test drive yet as I am working in New York but live in Florida. I plan on purchasing it outright cash. I hate payments and car dealership finance scamming. I really do like the look of the 2012 a little more... I'm not to fond of the big black blocky intake on the front of the turbo but 131 to 200hp is a big deal and I bet they fixed a few other things.

So I have been shopping around for a 2013 black ext / blue / black interior w ultimate and int blue lighting package. Gotten some good quotes I want to pay 23 or 24k cash including tax tag and title and leave with it, but I am getting pretty high insurance rates for West Palm Beach (I will occasionally drive to NY and back but it will be registered in FL).

What are you guys paying for insurance per year? Did you buy it flat out or are making payments? What level of insurance are you carrying I want the minimal for Florida but I guess I should have some comp & collision, but I'll do max deductibles. I've never been in an accident.

I haven't been driving my own car for a few years just been renting cars so maybe thats what's doing it but I expected $1000 a year (I'm in my thirties) and it's coming out way higher if not double. Best I found so far was around $1450 a year on esurance.

Other questions. For those of you who have driven both the 2012 regular Veloster and the 2013 turbo - is the turbo really worth all the extra cash? I could probably save about $5000 getting a 2012. I am getting manual trans. Any other advice and saving money and or things to new for prospective new owners would help. I had a Elanra GT from 2004 to 2007 and loved it. This 2013 black turbo with blue int lights looks like something out of tron or a mini bat mobile.

Thanks!

- Blackout :in love:

See less See more
#5 ·
I don't get it either... is that just minimal pip? Do you have comp and collision? I have tried all the major online insurance sites, I have a clean record, am 35.... only thing is I have had long gaps with no cars or insurance cause i go to new york to care for an elderly man. Are you on someone else's policy? This is nuts I'm not going to buy this car if insurance is through the roof.

#6 ·
FWIW I'm at $780/6 months on progressive, and that was lower than AAA was offering...clean record, 25 years old. Wasn't a deal breaker though.
I am very well covered at least.

#13 ·
OMG. You guys in the US really get shafted on Insurance!!!. Here in Australian I can get FULL comprehensive insurance which covers everything with a $400 deductible on the 2013 turbo for between $500-$700 A YEAR. The $500 is through RAA (equiv to your AAA) and I get a few discounts. There is no difference in price of insurance between the turbo and non turbo here.

#14 ·
I finally found one on the internet and locked a deal for $26,000 flat out the door for a 2013 Veloster Turbo ultra black ext black / blue int with ultimate package.
I pick up my car Wednesday I'm so excited I can't wait. I live in both Florida and New York so I asked Progressive which was cheaper they said those are the two highest states. Go figure so I'll just leave my license in Florida. PS: before I get the car is there anything I should know? This is a pretty sweet price right - and I am hearing the blue link is not worth it if you have an android smartphone. Any tips on that? I'm super hyped.... wish I could get a better rate on the insurance but the progressive rep said after 6 months I should re-evaluate and it should go down a few hundred bucks.

#15 · (Edited)
Blackout, if I may ask, how old are you? Is this your first car? I also live in FL, in Miami, and you know we have the highest rate of the state. I got quoted from Progressive for 100/300, you know full cover for a lease, 1000 deductible, all the discounts they offer, (btw the car tracking and recovery offered by BlueLink should give you a discount), $804 paid in full for a six month policy. Where in FL do you live?

Oops, sorry I just read that you are 35. It may be that you have had long gaps, like you say, on insurance coverage. I would find a local Progressive office and take the car to them see if that makes a difference. Now you always have the option to go under someone else's policy, like your parents, until the next renew where you can probably get much lower quote for being a client.

#16 ·
2012 Veloster 6sp Monthly Insurane ( Full coverage, low deducts ) - $43
2013 Turbo Veloster 6sp Monthly Insurance ( same ins ) - $51
Im 34.

...if you never drive/drive VTM, the VM is really nice - however, once in the turbo there really isnt turning back..defintely worth it.

#18 ·
I am also with progressive.. I pay $113.oo a month for full coverage w/ $500 deductible. I'm in my 30's with a clean record. I had a NA V before I got my Turbo... payment only increased $3.00 a month for the Turbo. That is the cheapest full coverage insurance I could find. When I was getting quotes they all said the same thing " you live in a high risk area ". I guess since I'm so close to Cincinnati Ohio. Also you really dont need to tell them it is a Turbo model either... the vin #'s all just say Hyundai Veloster.... if you tell them that it's a Turbo... they will increase your rate regardless what it says in their system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.