Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With the number of people out there with tunes right now and that can data log, figured I'd ask.....

What is your max/peak absolute load % you see from your tune?

What is your absolute load % at max tq and at what rpm?

What is your absolute load % at max hp and at what rpm?

Post an absolute load curve in relation to rpm if you can.

Here are a few examples at max whp area on an auto VT showing boost, load, rpm, and timing, on 93 pump gas.

Stock tune
Screenshot_20171230-000715.png

Tune at 239 whp SAE/245 whp STD
Screenshot_20171229-235745.png

Higher power tune
Screenshot_20171230-003337.png

·
Registered
3 Posts
Currently over 300 ABS, ABS isn't really based on power so you cant say X Load = X power, its more based on things like boost being ran, timing, how much load is requested, barometric pressure, all sorts of things correlate to become the absolute load. For example you could be at 240 ABS on a stuffed turbo running 22 psi and make over 300whp, or 240 ABS on stock turbo at 22 psi making 230whp to 245whp. Its not a great help in how much power a car is making unless you have done many cars, however it does directly correlate to a lot of tables within the ECU, timing for example, KFMIOP as well, rescaling of these is needed to have the correct parameters for the load the car is producing or the car will attempt to extrapolate from previous values it was given at lower loads via stock scaling. Load scaling on this car is however 90% based off of the boost being ran + the other things. If you look at it this way, 100 load is pretty close to the load the car makes at 0 psi, so 100 load for every 1 bar counting atmosphere, if you are running 10.44 psi thats .72 bar which is close to 72 % load, add 1 more bar to account for atmosphere and that gives you an answer that matches your 10 psi log within 98% accuracy.

·
Registered
158 Posts
On the topic of load, but off topic slightly, on later cars people with and without tunes are experiencing throttle cuts that aren't traction control related. Throttle remains cut to roughly 20% until you back off the gas completely, then is fine when you reapply. In my case it happens every few days while running 91 on a DCT and very few mods (K&N panel filter and replaced intake pipe) - usually when the car is cold or not quite hot. Do you happen to know what triggers this? Are there multiple factors? (boost? knock? calculated load?)

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On these cars, abs load is said to be 100% with 1013 mpa at 32°f in the intake manifold. Like derpvt mentions it is calculated based off many factors and will be skewed by many things.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the topic of load, but off topic slightly, on later cars people with and without tunes are experiencing throttle cuts that aren't traction control related. Throttle remains cut to roughly 20% until you back off the gas completely, then is fine when you reapply. In my case it happens every few days while running 91 on a DCT and very few mods (K&N panel filter and replaced intake pipe) - usually when the car is cold or not quite hot. Do you happen to know what triggers this? Are there multiple factors? (boost? knock? calculated load?)
The ecu is programmed how much throttle and boost is needed to meet a certain power output and abs load on stock parts and does what it has to do to meet these numbers. Coolant temp is a major factor in this. Above 157°f coolant temperatures it runs 100% air charge and normally does not cut throttle to make a given load/power output unless car has many bolt on and/or tune not setup correctly for given mods. Below this it will cut throttle to meet given numbers. Air charge is cut to 85% between 143°f and 156°f, and 70% air charge below 136°f.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The ecu is programmed how much throttle and boost is needed to meet a certain power output and abs load on stock parts and does what it has to do to meet these numbers. Coolant temp is a major factor in this. Above 157°f coolant temperatures it runs 100% air charge and normally does not cut throttle to make a given load/power output unless car has many bolt on and/or tune not setup correctly for given mods. Below this it will cut throttle to meet given numbers. Air charge is cut to 85% between 143°f and 156°f, and 70% air charge below 136°f.
Not sure the bolded part of the logic is correct. This evening, while cold, it cut throttle so much that I was unable to accelerate while it was performing this routine. I even had time to switch over to sport and manually shift gears to test what effect that had, and there was no change - no acceleration, only a change in RPM that corresponded to the gear change. Not even the slow creeping up of RPM as in previous instances. If the car was attempting to provide some defined level of output, in this case, the output was not enough to even accelerate the car. Getting off the pedal ended the routine. I can understand the potential logic of reducing power before everything has reached optimal temps, but it's never been this extreme and I don't think the even NHTSA would agree that there is an allowable condition for which acceleration is 100% restricted. This was on an empty highway. Had this been on a freeway onramp this would have been a severe safety problem. Just before the tonight's no-acceleration throttle cut I misjudged the speed of an oncoming car whom I was turning left in front of (he was going way above the speed limit). Being aware of and not trusting that the car would give sufficient acceleration to keep from getting wiped out I slammed on the brakes and stopped in the middle of the oncoming lane to let the car pass. I'd never let my wife drive this car.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure the bolded part of the logic is correct. This evening, while cold, it cut throttle so much that I was unable to accelerate while it was performing this routine. I even had time to switch over to sport and manually shift gears to test what effect that had, and there was no change - no acceleration, only a change in RPM that corresponded to the gear change. Not even the slow creeping up of RPM as in previous instances. If the car was attempting to provide some defined level of output, in this case, the output was not enough to even accelerate the car. Getting off the pedal ended the routine. I can understand the potential logic of reducing power before everything has reached optimal temps, but it's never been this extreme and I don't think the even NHTSA would agree that there is an allowable condition for which acceleration is 100% restricted. This was on an empty highway. Had this been on a freeway onramp this would have been a severe safety problem. Just before the tonight's no-acceleration throttle cut I misjudged the speed of an oncoming car whom I was turning left in front of (he was going way above the speed limit). Being aware of and not trusting that the car would give sufficient acceleration to keep from getting wiped out I slammed on the brakes and stopped in the middle of the oncoming lane to let the car pass. I'd never let my wife drive this car.
The condition you describe has nothing to do with this and sounds like limp mode or a DCT issue.

·
Registered
158 Posts
And full circle back to the neighborhood of your question, and my attempt to tag along - does load trigger limp mode? Even without a CEL?

I'm really sorry for polluting your thread a bit, but there just isn't enough activity on this board not to. And FWIW, I sent a notice to the NHTSA describing the issue and placed the stock intake tube back on the car to level set.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trans issue can occur without a CEL. So can a limp condition happen without a CEL. Limp conditions can happen for reasons other than abs load reasons though.

If you're having specific issues post another thread and it can be problem solved there.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
MoF Monitor of Function, set parameters must be met to return to normal logic function

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
So apparently when I reinstalled the Torque app I set it to continuously log into one file so my data zap is useless. I'll try to get some logs on there but I did capture data. This what your looking For?
Column D is Absolute Load and E is RPM. I don't know HP or Tq, never set that up in the app.

Screenshot_20180302-203053.png
Screenshot_20180302-202633.png

These are with a Tork Stage1 tune + bolt one.

What is your max/peak absolute load % you see from your tune? 241

Hope this helps

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are some shots of absolute load and boost on the beginnings of an E85 tune.....

Screenshot_20180311-184725.png Screenshot_20180309-195203.png

1 - 13 of 13 Posts