Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had any issues with the stock tires on my VT, I keep seeing complain about them though, so what's so bad about them?

On the other hand my mothers elantra ('13 limited) just got its 4th flat heh she's had the car from December. Though in her case I think she just keep curbing it, even though she denies it, every time I see her car parked is hugging the curb lol

·
Registered
11,490 Posts
I think the general complaint is that they aren't as sticky as should be for a performance minded car.
My feeling is that they are perfectly sorted for the stock VT on the street. Once you mod, however they quickly become outclassed. When I dropped the solo and DP on her she outclassed the factory rubber.
Also the wet grip is horrid. I find myself driving like an octogenarian as soon as the ground gets a little wet.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are downright scary in snow.
First week I had my car I drove through and after a snow storm, had no issues at all....

I'm just worried cause I was planning on driving down to FL for a week for my bday

Right now my car/tires have 3700 miles on them

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
First week I had my car I drove through and after a snow storm, had no issues at all....

I'm just worried cause I was planning on driving down to FL for a week for my bday

Right now my car/tires have 3700 miles on them
I would be comfortable doing that. I replaced mine at 15,000 miles for two reasons: 1. Sale and rebate on the Kuhmo X4 2. I added bracing and other mods and the car could be driven beyond the stock tire.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Just puttering around town, I dont mind them. They are a tad loud on the highway and they lack any real performance. Ok in light snow, but slush and ice were pretty bad. Ive had worse though. The OEM Michelin on my Civic Si and the Continentals on my Mini were both crap too.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hahahaha, some of you folks should have driven on tires that really DID suck. Whippersnappers...hhmmmmppphh.

My biggest complaint with them is they are loud, but they aren't loud enough for me to take them off and throw away $800 worth of tires. I won't buy any more of them, but I have owned much much worse tires in my life.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you think the stocks are loud, try the Hankook V12s... On second thought, don't try them. When I took the stock wheels off and had a good look at the Soluses, they are really rounded, pretty small contact patch.

Have some Toyo Proxes T1 Sports (235/40/17) on the way; nice, sticky summer tires (good reviews online) @ $109 each from tiresdirect.net, $495 shipped.
These will replace the stock tires in 225/40R18

Potenza RE970AS Pole Position Tire | Bridgestone Tires

·
Registered
11,490 Posts
Have some Toyo Proxes T1 Sports (235/40/17) on the way; nice, sticky summer tires (good reviews online) @ $109 each from tiresdirect.net, $495 shipped.
Have always been a big fan of Toyos.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have reached 40k in my 2016 Veloster Turbo and have had the OEM Kumho's AS ADVERTISED with no issues. I live in southern california and have experienced all types of weather except snow in the duration of having these tires. I have even gone through a few canyon runs between the 15k-20k mark of having those tires. I will have some pics soon of the wear, but NO TARES. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just purchased falken ziex ze950 a/s 225/40/18 .. so much better , more responsive much smoother and awesome in the rain !

·
Registered
741 Posts
Multiple issues, stock tires wear out fast, suck in snow, barely derivable in wet and poor dry grip. In comparison, the Continental ExtremeContact DWS all-season tire offers longer tread life, night and day difference in snow, better ride quality, quieter, more dry grip and the wet grip is phenomenal for an all-season tire.

·
Registered
11,490 Posts
I have reached 40k in my 2016 Veloster Turbo and have had the OEM Kumho's AS ADVERTISED with no issues. I live in southern california and have experienced all types of weather except snow in the duration of having these tires. I have even gone through a few canyon runs between the 15k-20k mark of having those tires. I will have some pics soon of the wear, but NO TARES. :)
When you finally get some new rubber you will kick yourself for running those for their full life.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts